WnSoft Forums

My monster for which I can't think of a title.

shirleyhogan

I uninstalled PTE V9 with the intent to download and reinstall.    I got a message that everything did not un-install but it could be done manually.  I did the download and reinstall.   Without going into gory details (mainly because I don't actually know) I created a monster.    For whatever reason I decided to uninstall version 6.5 also, got the same message as with version 9.    

Now whenever I attempt to open a PTE file on my Windows 10 PC, it offers me three options:  #1.Keep using the PTE 6.5 version.  #2.  Use PTE  (it doesn't specify version, but it works for me).  #3.  Choose a different app from the app store.    

Oh my gosh!    I looked back at windows to be sure I had stated those options correctly.   I noticed a box at the bottom which said "always use this option" so I thought that was the answer to my question.   I clicked on it and my PTE slideshow, which I have been working on for days,  has disappeared.     Can anyone help me find it?     What other info can I give you?

First, how are you trying to open the PTE file? Open PTE first, the use the "file" "open" then navigate to your pte file rather than just clicking on the pte file itself in case that's what you are doing. Perhaps Windows does not yet understand which program to use to open a pte file?  

Shirley, use the Windows search facility to search for the filename of your show you can't find. Unfortunately I don't have Windows 10 so I can't give you specific help - perhaps someone who has Windows 10 can help here.

If you used the PTE "Uninstall" it should have removed all the original installation files. A reinstall should put everything back to normal. Unless the "always use this option" somehow is an erase feature (I seriously doubt that it is) your work should all still be in the folder where it was originally. 

If you don't know the exact file name to search for, just search for *.pte (star dot pte) and your file should be among those found.

Best regards,

Lin

• 1 month later...