WnSoft Forums

FPS (Frames Per Second)- effect?

goddi

Greetings,

I normally Publish a project as HD Video using 30fps. However, I recently Published a project at 60fps. I 'think' I see a difference. This project is all video clips. In one of the clips, the movement of people walking does seem to be smoother. But I am not sure if it is just my ‘wanting’ it to be smoother or I am really detecting it.

I tried it on another project that has some video clips and I did not detect any smoother motion in the clip when I compared the project Published as 30fps vs. 60fps.

I understand that I ‘should’ see a difference because there are more frames to smooth the motion. The penalty is, of course, a larger file.

My question is, should I always, to be safe, just output all MP4s using 60fps if there are any videos or any animation of stills?

If the animation of stills is only with slight panning or zooming, should there be any improvement in smoothness?  

Would 60fps even affect a project that is only still images with no animation?

When a project is Published as an exe, I am assuming there is no way of affecting the fps?

Is there a ‘rule’ when to use 30fps vs 60fps?

Gary

Hi Gary,

I always have same kind of doubts and "sensations". Anyhow, I think that we must separate 2 cases: PTE project including video, or not (only slides).

I am mainly interested in case when PTE project includes video clips. In this situation, all kind of videos (all kind of original frame rates - fps) when converted using PTE Converter, all are converted into AVI files with exactly the same frame rate as the originals. I mean, PTE Converter can give 12fps, 16fps, 18fps, 24fps, 25fps or 30fps, respecting the original. My theory is that I must publish HD MP4 files using a multiple of converted AVI files' frame rate used (whenever possible, so excluding 12fps, 16fps, 18fps and 24fps). I mean, when I use AVI files 25fps, my MP4 is 50p. When using AVI files 30fps, my MP4 is 60p (always progressive, never interlaced). Does this makes a difference? I "think" yes! In fact, I should like to hear a professional explanation for this. All this considering that I never sacrifice quality because of bigger files and more disk space used.

In case of slides only, I would say that the best should be 60p, as all animations, etc., should be smoother.

By the way: 12fps, 16fps, 18fps and 24fps are old frame rates used in old 8mm and Super8 movies, which when digitized frame-by-frame, produce AVI or MP4 files with exactly these frame rates, which fact produces a fantastic quality. I use to send my old 8mm and Super8 movies to "www.18-frames.com" (Germany), service and quality are super! When I receive back the movies and files, I separate all individual clips (using software "HandySaw DS"), then I use software "Mercalli" to stabilyze each clip, one by one, before using PTE Converter and editing my final movie as a PTE project. The final result is a fantastic quality of my old movies, better than seeing them projected in a screen, like in old days. I hope that all this information can be useful to some of you.

Regards,

Jose

Greetings Jose,

I will take more care in choosing the FPS when I create my MP4s. It should make a difference, as you stated, to increase the FPS based on the embedded videos' FPS. I took a look at the 'HandySaw DS' program's info. Seems interesting but have not tried it yet. I have the Mercalli program but have not used it for a long time. I should get back to trying  it out but it was a bit confusing when I first tried it. But stabilization is very important. Thanks for  the info.

Gary

ADDED LATER: But I just notice that when you Publish for a MAC, you have not input to select the FPS. How come????

Hi Gary,

I use Windows, sorry, I don't know nothing about Mac, I can't answer to that.

Concerning Mercalli: you always must stabilyze clip by clip, never stabilyse 2 or more clips joined together (as recorded), because Mercalli doesn't know how to stabilyze "different" things! When is the case of old 8mm or Super8 movies (digitized), stabilyzation is a must because of the natural handy trebling when recorded and cameras had not any stabilyzation option, so, after using Mercalli the movie is much more smooth and pleasant.

Jose

Hi,

the PTE exe is 60 fps (if you have a powerful PC).

I always make my video clips at 30 fps and make all my slideshows in mp4 at 60 fps. My TV and blu-ray player are able to play theses mp4 and I think the fluidity is better.

Denis

EXE files created in PTE use current frequency of a monitor where you play an EXE file. Usually it's 60 Hz. If a monitor supports 120 Hz or 144 Hz this EXE file will play at 120 or 144 Hz (if your video card allows to generates so many frames per second).

So it's the key difference from MP4/AVI video file where a frequency is a fixed (30p, or 60p). EXE file always dynamically choose a frequency.