WnSoft Forums

Slide Style: changes Duration & Transition times

goddi

Greetings,

I have a question where the application of a Slide Style changes the 'Duration' and 'Transition' times of a slide. Here is what I have done:

My 'Project Options/Transition' time is set for 1.5 and Default Duration is set to 5.0.

I have a slide in the Slides View that shows 'Duration' of 5.0 and 'Transition' of 1.5.

I want to apply a Slide Style that I had made that sets a border, size of 95% and aspect crop. When the Slide Style opens, it  shows 'Full Duration' of 5.00 and 'Speed' of 100.

So I change the 'Full Duration' of the Slide Style to 6.5 to match the 5.0 Duration plus the 1.5 Transition that have for the slide.

First question. When I do this, the 'Speed' changes from 100 to 77. What does this mean? Why is it even important?

Next. After I apply the Slide Style, the slide in the Slides View shows Duration of 4.999 (instead of 5.0) and Transition of 1.95 (instead of 1.5).

Second question: Why does it not keep my Duration of 5.0 and Transition of 1.5? I have to manually change these setting for each slide that I apply this Slide Style to.

Thanks... Gary

29 minutes ago, davegee said:

Apply it once, change all of the durations to what you want and re-create using a different name.

Speed is related to any animation in the Style.

If you shorten the duration the animation will be faster.

DG

Ok...let's not deal with the Speed question for now. The other changes to Duration and Transition times occur when the Slide Style is applied to a slide that has no animation. Why would I get the unexpected changes in the Duration and Transition times? Why would it  not retain the previously set Duration and Transition times?

Gary

2 hours ago, davegee said:

Speed is related to any animation in the Style.

If you shorten the duration the animation will be faster.

DG

If there is no animation in the Style that was created, why would changing the 'Full Duration' time in the Style change the Speed? 'Speed %' of what? When a Style is applied to an exiting slide, any animation is dumped, anyway. The Duration is the duration of what it is set at. So I don't understand what this is referring to.

Gary

To add to my confusion, I have 2 Styles that do the same thing, Border, 95% size and aspect crop. In the Slide Style selection screen, one shows a Full Duration of 5.0; the other shows a Full Duration of 6.5.

It seems that if I edit the '5.0' Style's Full Duration to 6.5, I should get the same results as applying the '6.5' Style. But The '5.0' Style give the different results mentioned above. Not sure why this would happen. Any ideas?

Gary

9 hours ago, goddi said:

Ok...let's not deal with the Speed question for now. The other changes to Duration and Transition times occur when the Slide Style is applied to a slide that has no animation. Why would I get the unexpected changes in the Duration and Transition times? Why would it  not retain the previously set Duration and Transition times?

Gary

No, let's deal with it now. Speed and Duration are "Interactive" - one has an effect on the other - you MUST have noticed that !! If the STYLE contains no animation then you can just deal with the Duration and ignore the SPEED aspect but if your STYLE contains animation then adjusting either Duration or speed will have an effect on the apparent speed of the animation.

7 hours ago, goddi said:

If there is no animation in the Style that was created, why would changing the 'Full Duration' time in the Style change the Speed? 'Speed %' of what? When a Style is applied to an exiting slide, any animation is dumped, anyway. The Duration is the duration of what it is set at. So I don't understand what this is referring to.

Gary

Please read my original reply again only this time do it carefully - I said " Speed is related to any animation in the Style. "

7 hours ago, goddi said:

To add to my confusion, I have 2 Styles that do the same thing, Border, 95% size and aspect crop. In the Slide Style selection screen, one shows a Full Duration of 5.0; the other shows a Full Duration of 6.5.

It seems that if I edit the '5.0' Style's Full Duration to 6.5, I should get the same results as applying the '6.5' Style. But The '5.0' Style give the different results mentioned above. Not sure why this would happen. Any ideas?

Gary

How long have you had this Confusion thing - have you seen a doctor :) ?

When you change the duration of a STYLE you change both the FSD and the Transition Time by the percentage indicated in the "SPEED" box e.g if you change a Style which has 15 sec FSD and 1.5 sec Transition Time to 10 sec FSD (150%) when applying the Style it affects both the Duration and the Transition Time AND ALSO speeds up any animation IN THE STYLE by the said amount.

You have found a slight calculation error in applying Styles which has also been noticed elsewhere AND REPORTED but I will report it again to emphasise the need for greater accuracy.

I have attached some variations on your Style - these were created by the method I outlined above. I applied a Style, altered my parameters and re-created the Style with a different name.

Goddi.ptestyle

READ THE AUTHOR's NOTES

Styles are due for a make-over, possibly in Version 10?. Until then, why not work with what you have??

DG

In addition to my last post, here is an illustrated example of the Duration / Speed relationship.

Follow the instructions in the Author's Notes.

At the Author's Designated Duration = 10 seconds the animation Speed = 100% or 192 Pixels per Second.

If the Durarion = 5 seconds then the Animation Speed = 200% or Twice as fast or 384 Pixels per Second.

Goddi Speed vs Duration.ptestyle

DG

7 hours ago, davegee said:

No, let's deal with it now. Speed and Duration are "Interactive" - one has an effect on the other - you MUST have noticed that !! If the STYLE contains no animation then you can just deal with the Duration and ignore the SPEED aspect but if your STYLE contains animation then adjusting either Duration or speed will have an effect on the apparent speed of the animation.

Please read my original reply again only this time do it carefully - I said " Speed is related to any animation in the Style. "

How long have you had this Confusion thing - have you seen a doctor :) ?

When you change the duration of a STYLE you change both the FSD and the Transition Time by the percentage indicated in the "SPEED" box e.g if you change a Style which has 15 sec FSD and 1.5 sec Transition Time to 10 sec FSD (150%) when applying the Style it affects both the Duration and the Transition Time AND ALSO speeds up any animation IN THE STYLE by the said amount.

Dave,

I really see no need for the 'Speed' indication, especially when you have no animation in the Style. I have no  animation in the Style I am using. I think your indication to 'ignore'  the Speed is not intuitive unless you are told it does not mean anything. I don't see its usefulness even if you have animation in your Style. Just my opinion. Setting the Duration seems to be the only real criteria needed when a Style is applied, especially when you are applying it to video clips that would naturally be different than an overall Project setting made for images.

Also, you can't change the Speed independently from the Full Duration in the Style. Changes in Speed is only a result of the changes in the Full Duration, which is what you really want to affect. If you want to change the Speed of an animation, I'd think you would do it in O&A.

Ok, back to my main point about the change in the Transition time after a Style is applied. I don't see why the Transition time needs to be changed after a Style has been applied. If I have set the Transition time for a slide to be 1.5, why would it needs to be changed just because I have applied a Style, whether or not it has an animation in it? My Style that I am using does not have any animation (or even it it did), so there should not be any affect on the previously set Transition of the slide.

I know you said "...when applying the Style it affects both the Duration and the Transition Time...". I don't think it should affect the already set Transition Time.

I think the  'doctor' I need is Igor to make sense of this....:rolleyes:

Gary

Another example of why I think the Style should not affect the already set Transition time:

I applied a Style to a video clip that had a Transition time of 1.5. After applying the Style, the Transition time changed to 5.365. Makes no sense. I have to manually reset the Transition time for the clip to 1.5.

Gary

1 minute ago, davegee said:

I'm out.

Don't know why I bothered.

DG

Dave... Why would you say that? You have made some points but have not addressed my question as to why the Transition time needs to be changed when a Style is applied. You state what PTE does but not why it needs to be that way.

Ok...never mind.:(

Gary

• 2 months later...
On 7/27/2017 at 1:51 PM, Igor Kokarev said:

Gary,

Thanks, we'll check tomorrow!

Igor,

Never heard back from you. Still don't understand why the 'Speed' (which is the AB Transition time) needs to be automatically changed when the Full Duration of a Style is changed. If I want to just change the Duration of a slide for a Style, it does not seem it needs to be related to the already set AB Transition time.'

Gary

Style.jpg.1e067a0339483e7057c2c4e0c07d051e.jpg