WnSoft Forums

Convert Videos-Allow rotation

1 hour ago, Lin Evans said:

Hi Gary,

Why can't you rotate the video with PTE?  Just use Rotate set to 180 degrees at the first keyframe - run the rotated original saved to MP4 then convert that?

Best regards,

Lin

Greetings Lin,

I don't understand why we have to keep things complicated with 'workarounds'. The method you propose works. But if you have an 8 minute video clip (among several other video clips), you have to start a new project to do the rotate and Publish to an MP4 to then be used in the original project, which then needs to be Converted in the original project. This takes over half an hour. Why not just encourage Igor to allow rotation within Convert process. That, I think, would be a useful improvement in the process.

And, Denis...I don't understand your post.

Gary

It's not a "work-around" - it's a feature with PTE. What Denis is saying is that it's not necessary to convert to MP4 - just rotate and convert. I haven't tried it because I don't have any upside down videos, but it seems logical to me. Why don't you try it?

Lin

2 hours ago, Lin Evans said:

It's not a "work-around" - it's a feature with PTE. What Denis is saying is that it's not necessary to convert to MP4 - just rotate and convert. I haven't tried it because I don't have any upside down videos, but it seems logical to me. Why don't you try it?

Lin

Lin... Anything beyond just being able to rotate an upside-down video while in the Convert window, to me, is a work-around. If it is just one video, OK, perhaps. However, if you have a project with other images and videos, to rotate a single clip, you have to do your steps as a separate project and bring in the results into the main project.

I don't understand where Denis is saying to 'just rotate and convert'. Where is he rotating it? You can't rotate a video in the Slides view, only JPGs will rotate. So you have to bring the upside-down clip into Convert. But it is difficult to trim the clip while it is upside down.

So, if you do what Denis says, I think, here is the problem. You drag down the video into the Slides without optimizing. It is still upside down. Then you open it in O&A and rotate it. Ok, now it it right-side up in the Slides. Then you right-click it to Convert/Trim the clip but it is still upside down in the Convert window. My point is we should be able to rotate a video in the Convert window so you can more easily trim it without going through other steps to just make it right-side up.

Do you see my point? Give it a try. Try to change a right-side video clip to an upside-down one.

Gary

I think not being able to rotate the video with a right click and choice in the slide list is probably an oversight and should be corrected because the drop-down feature is not grayed out as if would be if the feature were not available. The video converter doesn't appear to recognize the fact that the video has been inverted. Probably when the rotate bug is corrected, the video converter will recognize the new configuration. When rotating a jpg in the slide list, it does not show a rotate value in Objects and Animations like rotating it in O & A shows. Best to let Igor look at it 

Best regards,

Lin

16 minutes ago, Lin Evans said:

I think not being able to rotate the video with a right click and choice in the slide list is probably an oversight and should be corrected because the drop-down feature is not grayed out as if would be if the feature were not available. The video converter doesn't appear to recognize the fact that the video has been inverted. Probably when the rotate bug is corrected, the video converter will recognize the new configuration. When rotating a jpg in the slide list, it does not show a rotate value in Objects and Animations like rotating it in O & A shows. Best to let Igor look at it 

Best regards,

Lin

Lin, Perhaps that is an oversight that can be fixed. However, there still is a problem. In order to rotate a video in the Slides view, you have to first drag the non-converted clip into the Slides view. When you do this, you are given the option of to 'Optimize' or 'Use original file'. Sometime (not sure why), if you choose 'Optimize' the convert process will start automatically with no time to change options, useless you catch it and stop the process and start over after changing any options you intended to change. If you hit the 'Use original file', it would go into the Slides view, rotate it (if rotate was available in the Slide view) and then you could convert it at that point.

It seems that when you want to convert a video clip in the Files List, you'd normally just right-click and hit Convert and the clip will appear in the Convert Window and rotate it if needed, make changes in the settings, and then you can manually start the process.

So I still think, if you can rotate it in the Slides view, why not be able to rotate it in the Convert window?

Gary

Hi Gary,

- put your mp4 video in a new project  "use original file" don't optimize it

- go to slide option >> transition >> Quick transition

- in O&A rotate 180

- Properties you can "Adjust time range" if needed

- you can use "color correction" if you need

- close O&A

- "Publish>> avi file...   or F7

- Select the quality and you will get an avi file you can put in your PTE project. It is suitable for PTE.

Denis

Barry,

When someone encounters a problem, I think a good response is to post it to see if it can be fixed. I see that  you post quite a few, yourself. Why you have to enter into the discussion to lessen its importance is beyond me. When you find something that bothers you, don't you post your findings? Perhaps you have not run into this problem but it is obvious  to me that the ability to rotate a video would be a good feature that can be found in many other programs. When you have many annoyances in any program, it lessens the joy of using it. And the answer to your question is, yes, it is a high priority to have a software fixed to do something it should do. In other occasions, I have purposefully turned a video camera sideways to shoot a very tall object and needed to rotate it for the final project. Just because you have not run into this situation, does not mean it is not a useful suggestion.

And in this process of posting this suggestion, we apparently found that the rotation of videos in the Slides view does not work. Sure, it should be fixed. I don't think you should be in charge of what is or is not a 'high priority'.  :D

Gary

8 hours ago, denisb said:

Hi Gary,

- put your mp4 video in a new project  "use original file" don't optimize it

- go to slide option >> transition >> Quick transition

- in O&A rotate 180

- Properties you can "Adjust time range" if needed

- you can use "color correction" if you need

- close O&A

- "Publish>> avi file...   or F7

- Select the quality and you will get an avi file you can put in your PTE project. It is suitable for PTE.

Denis

Denis, Yes, I understand that this is what you have to do. But to have to create a totally new project just to rotate a video is really non-intuitive. Would it not be so much easier to be able to rotate the video in Slides view or in Convert? If we can rotate a JPG, why not a video?

Gary

2 hours ago, Barry Beckham said:

Gary

Mate, you're too touchy by half, relax a bit. 

Greetings Barry,

You referred to having to rotate a video clip is to fix a mistake. The GoPro camera did not readjust the correct right-side up setting for that clip. Ok, it happens. But there are other occasions when you might want/need to rotate a video.  So my point is why not have this ability in Slides or in Convert? Your post seemed to minimize the importance of my suggestion. I don't think I am 'touchy' but just prefer some support in the idea, as opposed to a non-helpful post. Just trying to make the program better. Igor says he is re-writing the Convert process for V.10 so this is the time to make him aware of this suggestion. :)

Gary

Barry,

Doesn't it depend on which fish you like to eat? I just don't understand why anyone would make comments that are not supportive of someone's suggestion, unless there is some misunderstanding of the problem. If it does not affect them, why make a negative response? I am just a normal user of the program and like to make it more intuitive than it is. Minimizing someone's suggestion might tend to damper others from making suggestions or asking for help. As I said, just trying to make the PTE better. At least, Lin brought to our attention that there must be something wrong with the rotate feature in Slides. :)

Gary

I have a Google Nexus 5x android phone. The internal camera sensor is mounted upside down (thanks Google) and some video players do not read sensor orientation metadata and play the video upside down. I have used PTE in the past to rotate the video in OA and publish the fixed version. If it's possible to add to add a rotate feature to the video converter I would give it a +1 vote.

Thanks,
Tom