WnSoft Forums

How to play on a MAC?

goddi

Greetings,

I created a show for a friend who uses a MAC. I Published the show using 'Executable File for MAC'. He says he has a problem trying to play it. He says there are two files but it tell him to run an 'app' which he does not want to do. He says he does not know what this 'app' is so is reluctant to run it. What can I tell him to do about this 'app' question. I don't have a MAC so I don't know what he is seeing. When I download the zipped file from Dropbox, and unzip it, I get the attached files.

599c443ba4667_PlayMAC.jpg.c01649696ad92f91dc3f59b5f5abc8a6.jpg

Not sure what to tell him.

Gary

Hi Goddi,

Send him the 'zipped file' that you created and ask him to double click on it.

It will then open as a normal folder that will contain a PTE  'Play' icon that will run the slide show, when clicked.

7 hours ago, Ronniebootwest said:

Hi Goddi,

Send him the 'zipped file' that you created and ask him to double click on it.

It will then open as a normal folder that will contain a PTE  'Play' icon that will run the slide show, when clicked.

Greetings,

I talked to him today and he said when he clicks on the 'Play' icon, it looks like it wants him to download an app to play the show, so he did not continue with it. I didn't  think that was the way it  works. But, I had also sent him the MP4 version of the same show and he said it played on his MAC. If an MP4 will play on a MAC, why are we creating an MP4 and a MAC version????

Gary

Gary,

Think about it .... Win EXE and the Mac APP have many more benefits and playback options available to the user and creator than that of a simple playback MP4. MP4 has its limitations. MP4 video doesnot allow user interaction for  manual control, click & button actions. runslideshow actions, and  the  list goes on.

*My users of Mac slideshows have not experienced any suggestion to  "download an app to play the show" . My only thought is that maybe your user has not unzipped the package normally ?

37 minutes ago, nobeefstu said:

Gary,

Think about it .... Win EXE and the Mac APP have many more benefits and playback options available to the user and creator than that of a simple playback MP4. MP4 has its limitations. MP4 video does not allow user interaction for  manual control, click & button actions. runslideshow actions, and the list goes on.

*My users of Mac slideshows have not experienced any suggestion to  "download an app to play the show" . My only thought is that maybe your user has not unzipped the package normally ?

I don't think my friend is too tech savvy. Maybe he is just confused. Somehow, when he clicks on the MAC 'play' icon, it is not immediately going into 'playing' the show. I have no idea what is really going on since I don't have a MAC. Maybe he just thinks there is an app to be downloaded....duno. But if his MAC can play an MP4, that will be good enough for him. But he said he will talk to his son who might be able to resolve what is going on. This is what he gets. Maybe he is just clicking  on the wrong icon. I don't ' know which one to tell him to use.

image.png.3835be0252d09ba2c061cec4bebdd420.png

Thanks all... Gary

This is the procedure to play on a Mac:

1 Single left click on link (in the email, etc.)

2 Zip file automatically sent to “Downloads” folder.

3 Navigate to “Downloads” folder.

4 Open (double left-click) on .zip file.

5 Creates folder with 2 files: .app & .ptshow.

Optional:  6 Right click on .app file in folder and (optional) select “Scan with your anti-virus”. 

6 Open (double left-click) .app file in folder

7 Get dialog window saying "“filename.app” is an application downloaded from the Internet. Are you sure you want to open it?”

8 Left click ‘Open’.

9 Show starts!!

Lin

Greetings Lin,

Thanks for the steps. I will send it to him. I think  the Step 7 (Get dialog window saying "“filename.app” is an application downloaded from the Internet. Are you sure you want to open it?” ) is what bothered him. It looked like he was going to download an app from the Internet.

Thanks... Gary

I think that the full process, as explained by Lin' will confuse him even further. Item 5 of Lin's list is what he should be seeing. It is only necessary to click on the icon for the pteshow (that small blue icon) and the slide show should begin.