WnSoft Forums

Eclipse of Sun Simulation

Lin Evans

The recent solar eclipse was a big deal around the world. I missed it because I didn't have suitable protective glasses or protective sun filters to do photographs. So I decided to create a simulation. NASA has made some amazing 4K sun videos, but none of them were totally suitable. The best and most suitable were only slightly over half of the sun. So to make this simulation, I used PTE's great masking capability to create the bottom half of the sun - invert that to create the bottom half and reverse its rotation.  In all three masks were used and the video used three times to create the entire orb. The moon was one of my captures which was adjusted using PTE's color filters to set black point for proper darkness. Just a fun project - download either the Mac or PC version below if interested...

http://www.lin-evans.org/lin/eclipseofsunpc.zip   (about 66 meg)

http://www.lin-evans.org/lin/eclipseofsunmac.zip (about 66 meg)

Best regards,

Lin

Very good Lin.

Almost looked like the sun had a smiling face on it after the moon went across it. Did the Old man in the moon link up with a new friend ? ☺

Hi Lin,

Very nice. I didn't travel up to Oregon to see the event. My PTE created version from 3 weeks ago based on how I thought it might look. It does have the ISS passing in front of the sun during the eclipse. Also a few stars are visible. :-)

I like that Tom ... The reason I didn't show stars or the International Space Station, etc., was an attempt to show how I thought it "might" had looked if being viewed through the protective glasses which would pretty much cut all light except the sun when and where visible beyond the moon. I like the idea of the ISS passing by.  I'm going to try to photograph the ISS first chance I get with a super clear night. My Nikon P900 has 2000mm optical zoom and with it on a tripod I think I might be able to get a reasonably clean image of it.

Best regards,

Lin