WnSoft Forums

23rd Great Northern Festival

jkb

For anyone within travelling distance of Manchester, England.

The 23rd Great Northern Festival takes place on Friday 1st to Sunday 3rd December 2017.
It is held at the Hough End Conference Centre, Mauldeth Road West, Manchester, M21 7SX close to Junction 5 of the M60 Motorway.

Friday evening at 7:30pm we have a Guest Speaker Liam Sanderson.
Liam is head of media studies at the Wales High School in Sheffield. With his help the students have made many Internationally award winning films and animations.
He will present some of these & also talk about his work with the students.
This should be an inspirational evening.

Saturday & Sunday  (10:00 am to 5:00 pm) we have the Great Northern & New Horizons competitions.
We have a total of 61 entries (almost all made with PTE) from around the UK & Ireland.
The authors range from beginners to international award winners, so you will see a wide variety of work.
The 3 Judges will comment on the work in the New Horizons section so we all gain valuable feedback.

Booking forms & more details are available on the website www.gnfestival.org.uk

Tickets can be bought in advance (saving money) or you can pay on the door.

We hope to see you there

Jill & John

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, jkb said:

We had another excellent weekend at the 23rd Great Northern

Results and images are now available on our website www.gnfestival.org.uk

and also on our Facebook Page

Jill

Greetings,

Why aren't the the entries available to view? At least the top 3 or 4? It's nice to know there are audio/visual festivals but not being able to see any of the results is disappointing.

Are they posted anywhere??? Why not ask them to post them in Slideshowclub?

Gary

Hi Gary,

There are several reasons why UK workers do not post their AV's online.

A main one is copyright issues with the music. We all have licences giving us clearance to use copyright music, but YouTube will still throw them out.

Also our AV's are made to be seen on a big screen with a good quality sound system, and many loose their impact on small screens or lower quality sound.
We also enter them into several competitions throughout the year, so do not want prospective judges to have seen them. Although we do all tend to attend the same events!!

As to putting them up on slideshow club, almost all of the entries are too large to be uploaded there.

Another reason is that several of us go around clubs giving talks and shows, so do not want the audiences to have seen the work online beforehand.

I agree that it would be usefull for others, especially newcomers to see good examples of AV's, but the best way is attend events or join an AV Group.

I appreciate that there do not seem to be any in America that we know of.

Take a look at our website www.avnews.org.uk for a Calendar of events & competitions around the world.
If you know of any more then please contact us & we will gladly add them to the list.

Jill

1 hour ago, jkb said:

Hi Gary,

There are several reasons why UK workers do not post their AV's online.

A main one is copyright issues with the music. We all have licences giving us clearance to use copyright music, but YouTube will still throw them out...

Jill

Greetings Jill,

It is like dangling a carrot in front of us. Too bad. It would be nice to view entries into such contest. I have searched high and low to find any groups in my area that do audio/visual shows but have not found any. I can't even get my local photo club to get interested in it. They stick to single image competitions.

Concerning copyright problems, I have had a few with uploads to Facebook. I added a PTE topic about how to determine if your PTE show might have copyrighted music that Facebook or YouTube might rejected. Haven't had many readers or any responses but I have found a useful site to upload your music or the PTE show to see the results. Here is a link to recent my post:

I currently am having a 'discussion' about a song that I found on the YouTube Audio Library that should be 'free' but is claimed by Symphonic Distribution. Their song, however, is completely different than the song I am trying to use that I got from the YouTube Audio Library. It has taken many back and forths with Sym. Dist. but they finally see my point and they said they would get back to me. But, using the Audible Magic site has helped to give some assurance that my PTE shows that I upload to my Facebook site will not be flagged with copyrighted music and saved my a lot of time and the shutting down of my Facebook page for copyright issues.

The point you make that their shows are too big for Slideshowclub is a problem I am having. I wish others would reach out to Igor to get the max size of uploads to be increased.

Gary