WnSoft Forums

Serif Affinity Photo

wideangle

I was looking around for alternatives to Photoshop where you don't have to commit to a subscription, and came across the Serif Affinity Photo package.

To buy it is a one-off cost which is about the price of just 6 months use of Photoshop.

Featurewise, it seems to be every bit as good as Photoshop to a novice like me, so I was wondering if others had any in-depth experience of using it, and what their thoughts were.

Here's a link to a comprehensive list of what it offers:

https://affinity.serif.com/en-gb/photo/full-feature-list/

Regards

wideangle

Greetings Wideangle,

This program was mentioned in this Forum in Jan. of this year. I bought it but totally forgot about it and never used it. Since you posted this info, I found there is an update, 1.6.1. Thanks for the reminder. I usually just use my Photoshop CS5 but maybe I'll take another look at Affinity. Anyone who got the program when it was mentioned earlier this year, you can get the update free.

Gary

https://www.picturestoexe.com/forums/topic/19790-looking-for-photoshop-alternative/?tab=comments#comment-131929

I purchased Affinity Photo and Affinity Designer when it was on sale. I really like the apps. I mostly use Designer to make logos and objects that I insert into PTE. I have Topaz Labs plugins that I still need to install after my SSD upgrade today.

http://www.miguelboto.com/affinity/photo/plugins-support/win/

I really like their Vimeo tutorials.

https://vimeo.com/affinitybyserif

Tom

Hi Gary and Tom

Thanks for that information, and I'd be interested on any further thoughts on the package, should you get the chance to pursue it further.

Tom

I notice that there is a neighbouring topic called 'Select Subject' where Lin refers to extracting a subject where fine hair is involved.

Following your link https://vimeo.com/affinitybyserif  I see there is a video called 'Affinity Photo - Using Adjustment Layers on Masks' where this program seems to do a pretty good job on that exercise.

I think I will go ahead and purchase, although I had hoped for a few more opinions first.

Thanks guys,

Regards

wideangle

I don't think Affinity Photo will ever replace Photoshop but I prefer to spend my money on other software. For the majority of my hobby needs Affinity is adequate. It will be interesting to see how well the select subject works. I know Apple is having problems with their new face ID detection. I guess neural networks are just like humans, not perfect.

Thanks,
Tom

I fail to see the obsession with subject selections where photographer after photographer seems to spend their time trying to cut out the blond model from a black background to place her on a white one. Shoot the girl on a white background is the better option if that's what was wanted.

How many times does and amateur photographer want to do this that it warrants such interest and time? 

Is it ever going be possible to the standard you would require for a large print for example. Blond hair will always have traces of the background.

It has to be said that many cutouts I have seen in slide shows and demos here,  have not been very good even with straight edges. 

Hi Barry

Yes, I agree 110% with what you say.

I only threw the Select subject thing in as an aside.

I was more interested in the package as a whole as, from my non-expert point of view, it seems to be a genuine contender to Photoshop in terms of features and support. You also know exactly where you are with cost, compared with Adobe’s habit of inching up the price. I do appreciate that it’s not a big deal for some people but I prefer the non-subscription route.

Regards

wideangle

It's not that simple.  It has to do with unsuccessful attempts to connect on weak connections while moving among multiple countries. If I could get 60 days that would cover me.  I did once go about 75 days without internet (except one brief hour in the middle).  PS was no problem during all that.  Of course, I can think ahead and disable CC or log out--but I am always hoping it will work "this time."  When it works isn't the problem. When it doesn't is. Yes, I have worked through this with Adobe. We have not worked out the secret recipe that exactly causes the issue--perhaps something is triggering the inability to verify what may appear like a new device--but isn't.  We just don't know. We know work-arounds--but they are most inconvenient.

Curiously, since changes have been made with the new CC and CC classic. I haven't had the problem.  But I will be testing it with multiple SE Asian countries in the next few weeks.  Maybe even Australia! I bet Australia works just fine.   We shall see.

Would be interesting to hear from users here traveling extensively in multiple rural S. American or African countries.

[I know that the solution for some is to use a quality SIM-modem based travel router.  But still, you have to have that Cell tower nearby!]

• 2 weeks later...

I have switched to Affinity as I am not taking as many photos. It is not as powerful for somethings, but more than adequate for most. The program loads quickly. I work on Windows 10 (that was $49 US, ), but there are versions for Mac and now Ipad (which was just given an award).

There are hundreds of short and professionally done videos on their site and others that explain almost everything that one would like to know. I am a visual learner so I like that. The Help menu brings up the basics.  Here is a list of some https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/10119-official-affinity-photo-desktop-video-tutorials-200/#comment-43458

It takes a while to get used to mostly in finding where all the powerful features are located, but then it is pretty easy.

The programs takes all the plugins that I own and there is a long list of compatible ones on their site.

For those who also paint with Photoshop, it takes all the abr. brushes. I uploaded the tons of Kyle's that were just offered free, and they work well. I have a few from other sources to.

I have a Huion tablet and that works. I am sure it works with Wacom.

I had a question which I posed on the forum and got a response in a very short time from an employee. So that kind of support is available.

It is not a total replacement for Photoshop, but it works well and the free trial might be inviting to those who are thinking of changing from whatever they are using.

I am not associated with the company.

Hi Wideangle

I have also purchased Affinity photo. I have had previous versions of Photoshop in the past starting with version 4 up to the first version of CC but the cost of continually upgrading put me off, particularly as I was a fairly light user and I didn't want to go down the route of subscription software. I still use Lightroom and also used Photoshop Elements. While elements was reasonably good it still had its limitations. Although I am still getting used to the new workflows in Affinity I have found it to be much better editing software than elements and certainly a lot closer to the full version of Photoshop. There are many powerful features that I am just starting to get to grips with and many more still to learn but there are a huge number of tutorial videos on youtube which makes me believe that there wont be much that Photoshop does that Affinity can't and at £49 who can argue with that.

Gogs

I think I will pick up a copy as backup.  Yes, Photoshop just failed to open again a couple days ago while traveling.  Adobe knows the problem and can fix it and has multiple times for me.  But Affinity will be a modern, developed software that works when PS fails and I don't have to wait until Adobe can fix it.  Adobe will remain my primary software, but if I can ever leave, I will.  I have lost any loyalty to them due to their new system which fails to meet my needs.

There are several favourable opinions here, so I decided to buy it.

I straightaway got a pleasant surprise on their website, as they have just launched an end-of-year 20% sale, knocking another £10 off the price of Affinity Photo and of Affinity Designer.
That makes it an absolute no-brainer as far as I'm concerned.

Regards

wideangle

• 2 weeks later...

I purchased Affinity Photo, for Windows, one year ago.
I have since uninstalled Photoshop CS 5, although I have kept my goto Elements 14.
Being just an amateur and not a good one at that, I don't need all that Adobe rented software.
I have slowly been working into Affinity and recently purchased the Affinity Workbook, which helps immensely.    
For $49.00 US, I don't think I will buy another Adobe software. (Especially renting one)    
Best regards, Robert