WnSoft Forums

Anybody use Time Limited Usage?

tom95521

I wonder if anybody really uses this feature. I think it was for designed for professional photographers who wanted to demonstrate their photos in a slideshow?

The problem is that computers can now use screen capture software that can record high quality videos of the slideshow. I have tested capturing slideshows with Windows 10 Game Bar,  Nvidia ShadowPlay,  Bandicam, D3DGear, and AverMedia hdmi capture. They can all capture at 1080p 60fps (except for my older Avermedia hdmi capture is 30 fps). Even if HDCP is enabled the new digital cameras can record video directly from the HDTV screen.

I think this feature is a false sense of security that your slideshow is protected and maybe it's time to remove time limited usage from PTE?

Thanks,
Tom

Yes, I have used it. I'd say keep it. Let's not make it any easier for them. But shouldn't it not play at all after the time limited date (I guess you can change the PC's date?).

I just did a test and changed the date on my Win10 PC. The PTE show that I had the date time limit still did not play. So it seems to still work. So why drop it? Sure, they could make a copy before the date limit but they would not know what the date would be. Just make it a short time limit.

Gary

Interesting. I didn't think anybody would be using a time or number limit. I thought a professional photographer would use a copyright watermark on their images.

Thanks,

Tom

Tom,

to answer your question I never use this feature. I am responsible for a club of amateur photographers since ten years. On a regular basis we make work shops in order to photos analysis. I am in charge to collect all photos in order to build up a slide show. The slide show is distributed to all participants in order they provide me with their own evaluation. I always use the logo of our club as a watermark on each photos with the agreement of all the owners. But I understand that could be an issue in case of a professional usage ...

Now, with all features of available softwares on Internet, the only way to avoid a copy is to keep it confidential !

Daniel

Of course, time limited usage has never been a real security measure. Nevertheless it indicates that playback is not allowed any longer. Let me just point out what the Austrian competitor does: If you start a show that has timed out, it deletes itself. This isn't a secure solution either, but it works well in many cases :)

• 2 weeks later...