WnSoft Forums

EXE format is not smooth on laptop (SOLVED)

goddi

Greetings,

I normally work and play my PTE shows on my desktop PC with no problems. However, when I play the exe format on my laptop, it does not play smoothly.

I took a look at my Display Adapters, which drivers are updated. The laptop has the 'Intel HD Graphics 4600' and the ''NVIDIA GeForce GT 740M' graphics cards. Since I have the two cards, I disabled the 4600. When I play an exe, the transitions and the video clips are not smooth at all. The fade transitions seem to go in 'steps'. The video clips do not play smoothly and they stop and start.

I have checked to be sure both cards are updated. When I have only the 4600 enabled, the transitions are smooth, but the video clips are still shakey.

The laptop is Win10, i7-4700MQ, 2.40ghz, 64bit. I am not sure where to look to find a solution on my laptop. I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks... Gary

Gary,

Please  check the following:

1. Make sure that Task Manager doesn't show high CPU loading for any running apps.

2. Do you use Microsoft antivirus or another software? 

3. Download and update manually new drivers for your NVIDIA video card.

4. If all above don't help, please read this article:
https://www.howtogeek.com/284559/how-to-stop-windows-10s-game-dvr-from-slowing-down-your-pc-gameplay/

5. Some laptops have two video cards - integrated slow Intel video card and fast NVIDIA video card (as in your laptop). By default, Windows 10 might use Intel video card for PTE. Please check the solution from the following article:
https://www.addictivetips.com/windows-tips/force-app-to-use-dedicated-gpu-windows/

37 minutes ago, Igor Kokarev said:

Gary,

Please  check the following:

1. Make sure that Task Manager doesn't show high CPU loading for any running apps.

2. Do you use Microsoft antivirus or another software? 

3. Download and update manually new drivers for your NVIDIA video card.

4. If all above don't help, please read this article:
https://www.howtogeek.com/284559/how-to-stop-windows-10s-game-dvr-from-slowing-down-your-pc-gameplay/

5. Some laptops have two video cards - integrated slow Intel video card and fast NVIDIA video card (as in your laptop). By default, Windows 10 might use Intel video card for PTE. Please check the solution from the following article:
https://www.addictivetips.com/windows-tips/force-app-to-use-dedicated-gpu-windows/

Greetings Igor,

1. No, the Task Manager is not  showing high CPU loading.

2. I am using only the Microsoft Defender.

3. Both video cards have been updated.

4. The NVIDIA Global setting is set to 'High-performance NVIDIA processor'. And, I set the NVIDA card to specifically work with PTE program using the 'High-performance NVIDIA card'.

However, this has not made a difference. The video clips still are not smooth. I then disabled the 'Intel HD Graphics 4600' card and it made it worse. I have to have both enabled but  the video is still not  smooth. Any other ideas?

Gary

2 minutes ago, davegee said:

Are the video clips converted?

DG

Yes, converted. The exe shows play fine on my desktop PC.

The converted avi video clips play fine outside of PTE with Windows Media Player, but not when played in the PTE exe show.

Gary

I had a similar problem (with transitions) yesterday and found that my nVidia Control Panel settings had changed. I can only think that a recent Windows or nVidia update might be the culprit. 

Changed back to the nVidia card and all was well.

Since everyone's video settings can be different (even after converting) then it is not easy to compare without knowing your conversion settings. I always use the default.

DG

I appear to have the same problem.  New Dell XPS 13 9360 with the latest i7 8550U processor...

Slideshow is reasonable, but when PTE plays converted video video it stutters...  Today I discovered that if I plug in the charger while it it is playing the video, the stuttering stops!

Media player has no problems with the converted video file...

So far my searching has revealed that the Power Options/Power Plan/advanced settings has a slideshow setting!  It is set to paused so I set it to available (it is available in the AC Power mode) but it did not make a difference.  I don't think these settings do anything until the battery gets down to less than 20%.

Display is Intel UHD Graphics 620 running at 3200x1800 resolution.

Now that I know I can get flawless performance by connecting the charger, it is not a serious problem..

Greetings,

I use the default settings when I convert a video clip.

I always have the laptop plugged in when I use it. Almost never on battery since it does not last too long. All power options are set to favor video playing.

I have gone into the NVIDIA control panel and set anything related to video playing to favor quality.

The strange thing is that I have to have both the Intel 4600 and the NVIDA 740M adapter cards enabled. If I disable the 4600 and have only the 740M enabled, the video clips get even worse.

I am not getting high RAM or CPU or Disk usage indications. Not running anything else, like PS, when I play the PTE exe.

Not sure what else to look for.

Gary

33 minutes ago, davegee said:

What resolution is the video in the project?

If it is 1080p have you tried reducing it to 720p and running it at less than full screen (as a trial)?

DG

Dave,

The project's Aspect Ratio is 16:9, video clips are 1920x1080, bitrate 15.8. When I have the video clip at 1280x720, bitrate 7.041, it seems to play smoothly, but of course not as sharp.

The converted 1920x1080 video clips plays just fine in Windows Media Player, but not when inserted into PTE and played as the exe, in my laptop.

Gary

I tried it too...  No problem at all.  Even with my battery powered XPS 13.  But I had the samme experience with my converted video too.  The converted.avi runs perfectly fine, but when played in a .exe video created by PTE, it stutters when my XPS is on battery, but plays fine when the charger is plugged in.  

I've searched for information on why the I7 should behave differently with a battery fully charged vs and I7 plugged into the charger.  So far nothing has come up.  Since the converted avi plays fine with the default viewer in Windows 10, but stutters when part of the published exe, I thought there might something to do with a default decoder used by PTE or something, but why should the problem go away when the laptop is plugged in???  A mystery...

Dave,

I seem to have a similar setup with my Nvidia control panel. But I notice my dedicated video memory is only 2 Gbs. Can that cause the problem?

Yes, video clips play just fine anywhere except when they are in the PTE exe files, on my laptop.

If you disable your integrated graphics adapter, do your videos worse (as it happens to me)? I have to have both enabled, but videos are still jerky.

Gary--5a3be11cee885_NVIDASettings.thumb.jpg.e4cd0e6e86e6653fc4d6f0841275086a.jpg

Maybe I didn't make it clear enough. I inserted your video into a PTE project in both cases and got a Smooth Result.

The nVidia Card is my Default for all programmes. I mentioned above that when the other adaptor was for some reason chosen because of an update or a glitch, my Transitions started to go haywire. Making the nVidia the Default again cured the problem.

Igor's suggestion of starting the programme by right cicking on the PTE Icon on the Desktop allows you to ensure that the default nVidia Card will be used if you are unsure.

No, I did not try the video on my other card. As I said, I know that it causes problems.

DG

Hi
I had the same problem with a new Windows 10 machine which uses a 1060 Nvidia Graphics card with 6gb ram on board. I followed Igor's instructions and the problem appears to now have been cured by switching off the 'game DVR' feature which sends reports on all gaming
Try removing that

2 hours ago, davegee said:

Maybe I didn't make it clear enough. I inserted your video into a PTE project in both cases and got a Smooth Result.

The nVidia Card is my Default for all programmes. I mentioned above that when the other adaptor was for some reason chosen because of an update or a glitch, my Transitions started to go haywire. Making the nVidia the Default again cured the problem.

Igor's suggestion of starting the programme by right cicking on the PTE Icon on the Desktop allows you to ensure that the default nVidia Card will be used if you are unsure.

No, I did not try the video on my other card. As I said, I know that it causes problems.

DG

Dave,

Yes, I understood you 'inserted the video into a PTE project'.

As you can see in my Nvida control panel screenshot, I have specifically made PTE use the 'high performance Nvidia processor'. And, yes, I tried, when I open PTE program using Mycomputer, I also specified it to use the high performance Nvidia processor, even though it already shows that it is the default, as you also showed in your screenshot. None of this helped. Since it happens apparently only on my laptop, I assume it has nothing to do with the PTE program. Must be something in the laptop. The problem of jerky video clips happens in all of my PTE shows' video clips, when played on my laptop, not just the one you looked at.

I'll keep poking around.

Thanks for trying... Gary

5 hours ago, Big Kev said:

Hi
I had the same problem with a new Windows 10 machine which uses a 1060 Nvidia Graphics card with 6gb ram on board. I followed Igor's instructions and the problem appears to now have been cured by switching off the 'game DVR' feature which sends reports on all gaming
Try removing that

Greetings Kev,

You gave me an idea. But I don't find any 'game DVR' feature. I don't do games so I searched around my laptop and found two thinks that might be for 'games' and figured out I might not need them and maybe they were causing the problem. So I deleted the Nvidia 'GeForce Experience' and the 'PhysX'. But, it didn't help at all. Maybe just changing the video card would help...duno. Just throwing darts...

The mp4's play just  fine; just not the exe's.

Gary

Not too worry - I have just been to check what I did again and it doesn't quite work as the link advises pressing 'Windows + G.

Try this open the Windows by clicking the Windows Icon, scroll down to find the 'settings' Click that and then find the 'Gaming' Icon

Click that and then see if the 'Game Bar' is on or off - if its on switch it off

11 minutes ago, Big Kev said:

This is the bit that refers to it and the link tells you what to do if you have a Windows 10 machine

Kev, Yea, I see the 'Windows G' to open the Gaming icon. I can do this on my desktop PC; but on the laptop, nothing comes up. So I don't even have that function.:o

Gary