WnSoft Forums

EXE format is not smooth on laptop (SOLVED)

goddi

O dear..... this is a new gaming laptop with a Nvidia 1060 graphics card and it is there....... wonder if it was lost when you removed Nvidia G Force Experience where all the new drivers come up. Maybe the blind leading the blind as this Windows 10 is somewhat new to me!! 

On 12/19/2017 at 4:02 PM, Igor Kokarev said:

Gary,

Please  check the following:

1. Make sure that Task Manager doesn't show high CPU loading for any running apps.

2. Do you use Microsoft antivirus or another software? 

3. Download and update manually new drivers for your NVIDIA video card.

4. If all above don't help, please read this article:
https://www.howtogeek.com/284559/how-to-stop-windows-10s-game-dvr-from-slowing-down-your-pc-gameplay/

5. Some laptops have two video cards - integrated slow Intel video card and fast NVIDIA video card (as in your laptop). By default, Windows 10 might use Intel video card for PTE. Please check the solution from the following article:
https://www.addictivetips.com/windows-tips/force-app-to-use-dedicated-gpu-windows/

Igor,

I have addressed each of the items you listed above with no improvement. I also tried the 'Win+G' and I don't even get the game mode window to appear on my laptop. So that would rule out the 'game DVR' problem. Do you know of any other technical thing that might cause converted video clips in the PTE exe shows to not play smoothly? The PTE is designated to use the high-performance Nvdia card. Seems if the PTE show plays perfectly well as MP4, they would play just as well as exe, but I don't understand the technicalities. Any other ideas where the problem might be?

But I just thought that designating the PTE program to use the high-performance video card should not have any affect on the actual playing of the PTE exe show. So I designated the actual PTE exe show to use the high-performance Nvidia card. Again...made no difference. Not sure where to look now.

Gary

On 21/12/2017 at 10:41 PM, Big Kev said:

Not too worry - I have just been to check what I did again and it doesn't quite work as the link advises pressing 'Windows + G.

Try this open the Windows by clicking the Windows Icon, scroll down to find the 'settings' Click that and then find the 'Gaming' Icon

Click that and then see if the 'Game Bar' is on or off - if its on switch it off

Hi Gary,

If you look back at what I posted - see above -  you will note that I said the Windows+G did not do anything.....therefore I used the windows key to open the side pad and then searched down to 'S' and clicked on 'Settings'.
When the settings opened there was an icon marked 'Games'
Inside there is the 'Game Bar' switch.which says record games, screenshots etc....and mine was by default switched 'on' so I switched it off and that switched off all the other options too. 
My sequences and those that wouldn't play correctly before now seem ok.
Hope that helps.

John (Alias Kev)

14 hours ago, Big Kev said:

Hi Gary,

If you look back at what I posted - see above -  you will note that I said the Windows+G did not do anything.....therefore I used the windows key to open the side pad and then searched down to 'S' and clicked on 'Settings'.
When the settings opened there was an icon marked 'Games'
Inside there is the 'Game Bar' switch.which says record games, screenshots etc....and mine was by default switched 'on' so I switched it off and that switched off all the other options too. 
My sequences and those that wouldn't play correctly before now seem ok.
Hope that helps.

John (Alias Kev)

Greetings John (Alias Kev),

I gave that a try. Yes, the setting for Games was ON. I turned it OFF but no change. I even made sure the settings in Game DVR, Game Mode and TruePlay were OFF. I also deleted anything to do with Xbox networking. Nothing helped. Video clips still are jerky. I wish I knew what the technical reason is.Is it in the PTE exe file or is it Windows10? Duno...

Thanks for the additional suggestions.

Gary

Even if you force Windows to use the Nvidia GPU it might lower the clock frequency or maybe automatically switch to Intel GPU while battery is discharging to protect the battery. Are you disabling the Intel GPU in the BIOS?. They suggest buying a Li-po battery but that seems like a costly solution.

https://superuser.com/questions/855372/why-are-my-games-slower-on-battery-power-even-with-the-power-plan-set-to-high-p

Tom

* In Windows 10 Fall Creator release update you can monitor GPU in task manager. It might show you what changes when you switch from charge to discharge.

2 hours ago, tom95521 said:

Even if you force Windows to use the Nvidia GPU it might lower the clock frequency or maybe automatically switch to Intel GPU while battery is discharging to protect the battery. Are you disabling the Intel GPU in the BIOS?. They suggest buying a Li-po battery but that seems like a costly solution.

https://superuser.com/questions/855372/why-are-my-games-slower-on-battery-power-even-with-the-power-plan-set-to-high-p

Tom

* In Windows 10 Fall Creator release update you can monitor GPU in task manager. It might show you what changes when you switch from charge to discharge.

Greetings Tom,

I opened  the Task Manager on both my Desktop and my Laptop and selected the Performance tab. The Desktop showed the GPU being used is the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070, as expected. I also did the same with the Laptop. Its GPU showed it was using the NVIDIA GeForce GT 740M, as expected. As I played the video clip on both, the  Desktop and the Laptop, the GPU did not change. The GPU usage percentage (about 40%) did not differ much between the two computers as the video clip played. As far as the point about the battery, the Laptop is fully charged and plugged in. Not sure what else to make of this but the Laptop seems to be using the high performance video card.

Oh...I just noticed that the Laptop Performance tab is showing both the Nvidia and the Intel HD Graphic 4600. So I disabled the 4600. The PTE transitions now are rough and the video clips are even more jerky. And I notice, in the Performance tab, there is no activity in the Nvidia GPU graph when the 4600 is disabled. Hmmmm.

So it appears that I have to have both graphic adapters enabled. When I play the PTE show with both graphic adapters enabled, both GPUs show usage. The 4600 is minimal, at about 1-13%. The Nvidia is at about 30-50%. So now I am really at a loss to understand what is going on. :blink:

Gary

It could also be that the CPU is slowing down while on battery power. I have an older Lenovo IdeaPad with a mobile i7-3610 and Nvidia GeForce GTX 660M and it does appear the CPU frequency drops when on battery power.

Also I don't *think* that PTE utilizes all the hardware capabilities of newer GPU chips. It supports older GPU that do not have decoding/encoding capabilities. DirectX 9 is getting old.

Tom

I am coming in a bit late to this thread but just want to add 'me too!

In the last few months I finally managed to put together a family '2017 Memories' audio visual (1.55GB). It runs for around 14 minutes, includes quite a number of (converted) video clips and runs perfectly on my Desktop that has quite a wide variety of programs installed.

However, with all the family coming round just before Christmas, I was going to play the exe file on the laptop and connected to the tv so all could watch. Fortunately I tested it beforehand, just on the laptop, and with the opening couple of videos within the a/v playing jerky, just gave it up as a bad job until reading this thread and so the 'me too!' comment.

I have just checked it again and all in all, only 3 of the 14 video clips in my 2017 Memories a/v appear to play okay - 11 are really jerky. Don't know if it is relevant but as part of this check, I then played on the laptop an audio visual (333MB) I put together at the beginning of 2016, probably with V8 if that makes any difference. At the end of this 2016 a/v there are two video clips and each seems to play smoothly. In light of this, perhaps I should be checking all my audio visuals that contain video on the laptop to see if it is size of the file that makes the difference.

The only programs on the laptop are Norton, Malwarebytes and Skype but then they are also on the Desktop.

I should add that, subject to a last minute check, I have an appointment with a Surgeon on 2nd January so it is highly unlikely I will be able to respond further for several weeks. All I wanted to do at this stage was to add that it happened to me as well.

George

George,

Yes, this  is a strange problem. The bottom line is that the converted video clip that I use in a  PTE show plays just fine, by itself, outside of the PTE exe show. However, when it is use within a PTE exe show, that video clip plays very jerky. And this happens only on my laptop, not my desktop. On the deskop, the video clip in the exe play smoothly.

I still have no clue why. Gary

• 4 weeks later...

Greetings,

Just so we can put a 'Solved' with this issue that I started, I have had a 'solution'.

Since I was having several strange things going on with my laptop, primarily that video clips in PTE exe shows would not play smoothly, I tried to do a System Restore. Well, that proved fatal. The System Restore was running over 8.5 hours. I figured I had to just power down the laptop. With that done, I could not boot up the laptop. Dead.

So I have started from scratch with my Recovery Disk to put the laptop back to where it was when I bought it and have started to reload Windows and all my programs and data. But the good news is that this has fixed all the problems that I was having. There must have been some corruption in the operating system. The issue with video clips in exes was solved, and other problems too. It is a real pain to have to reload programs and data but at least the problem was resolved.

Gary

I have had issues with a laptop so I took it back to factory spec via the recovery. At first it cleared the problem, but because the laptop was a few years old, Windows took some days to get up to date with its updates and when it finally did, my old issue returned.

That issue is it takes minutes for programs to load up When the laptop boots. Once the programs are loaded and closed they will open up normally. Still a pain in the rear