WnSoft Forums

Facebook Cover Video

Craig

Hello, and Happy New Year.  I am trying to create a Facebook cover video.  The dimensions are quite specific:  820 x 312 pixels, while the recommended size is 820 x 462 pixels, and I cannot crop the cover video within Facebook's interface.  When I specify the recommended pixel settings in PTE's Project Options (under Main | Aspect Ratio | Custom), neither the PTE edit screens nor the resultant mp4 video reflect the custom aspect ratio.  I used the PTE HD Video option and tried several different settings, such as Pan Scan enabled (and disabled), etc.  I am still using PTE 9.0.13, if that makes any difference.

How can I create PTE projects of, say, 820 x 462 pixels and then publish them as mp4 in that same aspect ratio?  Thanks!

-Craig

Hi Craig,

When you go to create the video, you will see a little yellow "lock" icon. Click on that after you have put 820 in for the width then 820 will stay while you put 312 in for the height. This should solve your problem. You can create virtually any size video, but if it's other than a "standard" size, you must use the yellow icon to lock the value you have put in the horizontal while you place the needed value in the vertical aspect ratio.

Best regards,

Lin

Dave - he "needs" 820x312 pixels - PTE won't let him put that in unless he "Locks" the value using the yellow lock icon. PTE offers a range of "normal" values and if you want a truly "custom" aspect ration like FB is asking for, the lock icon will let you do that...

Best regards,

Lin

"I am trying to create a Facebook cover video.  The dimensions are quite specific:  820 x 312 pixels"

We are interpreting what he is saying differently.

The second part of the question is how to create a show at the desired aspect ratio. The only way I know to create a PTE show at this specific pixel sizes is to create a white rectangle for a mask at the desired pixel size - simple enough to do in Photoshop - then run the slides inside that mask and adjust them to see the portion desired. Once that has been done when the custom video aspect ratio is set properly it will mirror the results of the masking. Of course one could "crop" each slide to the pixel size but that would be extra work AFAIK...

Best regards,

Lin

EDIT - Looking at FB's Message For A FB "Cover Video"

Choose a cover video from your video library or upload new content. Choose a video that meets the technical requirements. A Facebook cover video must be a minimum of 820 x 312 pixels, with an official recommendation of 820 x 462 pixels. The video length must be between 20 and 90 seconds

So by using the lock, he can put in any value desired for the horizontal and vertical pixels. If he uses 16:9 aspect ratio images and 16:9 aspect ratio in the project options, he should be able to put whatever aspect ratio he wants and create a video at that size, but if he is using other than 820 x 462 he probably will need a mask to choose which part of the 16:9 image to display...

Question:

What happens if you offer FB a 16x9 video instead of an 820x312 video?

Does it crop it equally top and bottom? Or does it apply some other weird crop?

Using O&A/Properties/Image Crop to set 820x312 within an 820x461 project is not difficult and making a temporary Style from it would make life even easier. 

The result would give a video ready cropped so that (if FB applies a 16x9 video in a predictable way) you can place the 820x312 portion in the required position.

DG

His comments about Crop lead me to think that FB actually crop to 820x312. The downside of that is you do not get the opportunity to adjust the part of the video which shows- possibility of heads being chopped etc.

If their crop is predictable then surely it is better to provide a suitablly positioned video?

Well, I tried again today and it seemed to work well to adapt a PTE file to 830 x 312 dimensions, setting both the Project Options and HD Video output to 830 x 312.  I have attached the test mp4 that I created using Dave's amazing new "waving flag" style that he posted over the weekend.  I'll keep doing Facebook cover videos and will certainly report back if I experience any more formatting problems!  Thanks again to Lin and Dave for your thoughts and help on this issue.

-Craig

test waving palm tree PTE 830x312.mp4