WnSoft Forums

Curling Text Style with Real Flames

Lin Evans

Dave Gould gave us a great curling text style and I decided to do one also so you can put in your own text and never leave PTE 9. This style uses a small real video of flames inside text and lets you put your own text in - everything is done right in PTE 9 without needing to create a PNG file in Photoshop or other text editor. There is also a link to a tutorial on this which I think will be helpful, especially for new PTE users....

EDIT: In view of Dave's suggestion - If the user wants a stroke around the text or curved text or other non-normal shape, instead of entering text as described in the tutorial, just create PNG text as you like in Photoshop, select the text under Mask Stencil in Objects and Animations and replace that text with your PNG creation. It works fine either way.  Follow Dave's PDF tutorial to create PNG text in Photoshop.

Sample and style below:

flametexttutorial.wmv

Curling Real Flames Text.ptestyle

Hi Dave,

Actually I explained it in the linked tutorial. The reason I think you like to use the external PNG text is because you can use stroke to outline and highlight the text and for transparent text with no flames it's perhaps the best appearance, but with the flame video and my instructions both, the user sets the "blur" value to a high negative number such as negative 180 which makes the text nice and sharp. For a non video flame type text I would also use an external PNG file, but for this it's not necessary. Of course other great Photoshop features are also available in the external PNG option such as various curved text, etc., and there is nothing to keep users from making an external PNG format of text and using it with this style rather than doing it as I demonstrate. It's all about choices... Hopefully others read your nice PDF file on using Photoshop to create PNG text....

Best regards,

Lin

Thanks Lin,

There is a workaround for adding a Stroke around Text which is entered in PTE but it renders a soft edged Stroke which does not look as good (to me) as the method I described.

Also, using the method I described the thickness and colour of the Stroke can be varied dynamically.

I think that it is more versatile - until we are able to do it in PTE without workarounds.

DG

Yes, by going into the Properties Tab, Text Shadow, Customize then setting Opacity to 100, Distance to Zero and Size to 2  then choosing "Ring" as the type, a black outline is placed around the text. Sadly, however, even this is of no use when text is used as a Mask Stencil because the drop shadow features are removed by PTE. So the only way to have a stroke of any type is to do it in a PNG file in a Text Editor which permits...

Best regards,

Lin