WnSoft Forums

PTE 9 on laptops with dual graphics

Igor

Hi,

If you have a laptop with dual graphics card (Intel + NVIDIA) please try a new test version of PicturesToExe 9.0.15 BETA:

https://files.wnsoft.com/test/picturestoexe-setup.exe

It should greatly improve smoothness of animations. Because this update automatically forces PTE 9 to use dedicated NVIDIA video card instead of slow Intel video card.

This improvement affects:

- Preview in the main window of PTE 9;

- Objects and animation editor.

- Playback of EXE shows.

8 hours ago, denisb said:

Two exe with problems with PTE 9.0.14 are now excellent with this new 9.0.15. The custom transitions are fluid.

Congratulations for this new improvement.

Denis,

Thanks for the confirmation! I'm glad.

14 hours ago, Barry Beckham said:

wouldnt the laptop use the main card while plugged into a mains electric supply anyway ?

Barry,

I will check on Monday. As I undestood it depends on chosen power mode (best performance or power saving). 

By default, new laptops with dual graphics always use Intel slow graphics for all 3D applications even if it's connected to power supply. I observed this on a new unboxed laptop yesterday.

There is an official solution (API call) to force laptop use fast NVIDIA graphics. PTE 9 now requests access to fast NVIDIA graphics, even if it works from battery. Many 3D games do the same.

Of course, users always can assign manually certain application for fast (NVIDIA) or slow (Intel) video card. This choice has the highest priority and overwrites other options.

Hi : I'm a new community member and just want to clarify my understanding of the laptop spec. you need to run PTE effectively? I'm picking up from this thread that NVIDIA graphics cards are a must - is there any other guidance, please, in terms of laptop spec that you need to pay attention to?

Many Thanks

David

Hi David,

For desktop computers werecommend NVIDIA Geforce 1060 which will be enough for future versions of PicturesToExe during many years.  Personally I have two Gigabyte NVIDIA Geforce 1060 WindForce 3GB which work absolutely silent (fans start only in heavy 3D games). My colleagues have Geforce 1050 which is also very good video card.

I don't have Windows laptop so I can't recommend certain models. I only highly recommend to choose a modern laptop with NVIDIA Geforce for the best results in PicturesToExe 9.

Future version of PicturesToExe will offer hardware accelerated video encoding (works in 4-5 times faster than CPU encoding) and it will work only on recent NVIDIA video cards (introduced since 2013).