WnSoft Forums

Problem with out of memory

CorVdK

[This topic was extracted from PTE 9 on laptops with dual graphics topic - Igor]

Hello Igor,

I have read your topic carefully about the laptop with dual graphics cards, but is this version also meant for other devices?

Just for your information.

I don't know if you have tested this version with a AMD video card (on PC), I did, but it goes completely out of hand.

Objects and Animations freezes after a few seconds of playback. The music  still plays a little further but with an echo. Afterwards the sound is repeating in an endless loop.

I had to press Esc several times to leave the loop.

My video card:

AMD Radeon R9 200/HD 7900 Series     3072 Mb memory     Software version 17.12.2

Greetings,

Cor

Cor,

Thanks,

This version contains only a small change - two options which "tell" to NVDIA and AMD to use second powerful video card in laptops with dual graphics. That's all. It should not cause any problem if compare with previous version. Users always could do same choosing manually powerful video card for PTE in NVIDIA Control panel (or AMD control panel).

We tested on a laptop with Intel + NVIDIA graphics. With good results.

We'll test on a laptop with AMD on Monday.

Please check memory usage in Task Manager. Try different projects (from simple to complex). And if it possible compare with previous v9.0.14 again.

Test with simple project: Everything works as expected in PTE 9.0.15 and PTE 9.0.14

Test with the (heavy) project where I recently had problems with, turns out to be a memory problem again with use of large files:

Opening Objects and Animations in PTE 9.0.15, Task Manager shows 834,0 Mb

5a625ee8dbbd0_Taakbeheer9.0_15.JPG.63ecf1b833e9f154ee075b9dab6266ee.JPG

Opening Objects and Animations in PTE 9.0.14, Task Manager shows 251,5 Mb

5a625f4ad48e7_Taakbeheer9.0_14.JPG.991f63dc99aae3b7bc8d5af2b870ca5b.JPG

14 hours ago, CorVdK said:

Test with simple project: Everything works as expected in PTE 9.0.15 and PTE 9.0.14

Test with the (heavy) project where I recently had problems with, turns out to be a memory problem again with use of large files:

Opening Objects and Animations in PTE 9.0.15, Task Manager shows 834,0 Mb

Cor,

OK, I will test again on our new laptop on Monday. 

Version 9.0.15 BETA adds only 3 small changes in the code. 

Can you try the following, if you have a laptop with dual graphics (Intel + NVIDIA):

1. Install previous PTE 9.0.14.

2. Click right mouse button on a shortcut with PTE 9.0.14 to call the popup menu.

3. There should be an sub-menu to choose a video card for this application - run on Intel or NVIDIA card. Try both variants and compare results.

If you manually choose NVIDIA card for PTE 9.0.14 - it gives exactly same result as PTE 9.0.15 BETA does automatically.

Igor,

Thanks for answering, but unfortunately, I'm afraid, I can not be of great help. I do not have a portable computer with or without Intel-NVIDIA graphic cards.

The only test I can do is with my PC and it only has the mentioned card from AMD (see above).
I have already installed and de-installed about ten times version PTE 9.0.14 following your instructions. It always comes down to the same problem:
The memory quickly reaches more than 2 Gb and everything is freezing, the same problem with version PTE 9.0.15.
All the other programs on my PC are still working perfectly like in the past, I never had problems with previous versions of PTE, even with large files.

It all started with version 9.0.14.
Is it possible that I can download and test an older version, such as a version between PTE 9.0.00 - PTE 9.0.13 ?

Igor,

For your information.

I have now also received an error message on the screen, previously this error message disappeared immediately.

There was first:

"PteViewer5.exe is not working anymore. There is a problem with....  Close Program."

Then second error message:

"Application Error

Exception EOutofMemory in module PteViewer5.exe at 00003F33

Out of Memory.    OK"

These error messages came in Objects and Animations a few seconds after starting the show to play and showed also during "Preview" in the Main screen.

Test with PTE version 9.0.00: I use always the same "heavy" project as before with 9.0.14.

Starting the project with "Preview" in the Main screen, Task Manager shows:

5a647e07d6c16_TaakbeheerPTE9.0_00.JPG.d1e703a1893b64297dcd8da171952439.JPG

The project is played without problems, very smooth.

Starting the project in Objects and Animations with "Preview" or "Preview from current position", Task Manager shows:

5a647f438fa2c_Objects-AnimPTE9.0_00.JPG.2336c7c4f2f47b10c7ce3c827c2f0b97.JPG

The memory value is always more than 1000 Mb and between 1264 Mb.

Anyway the project is played until the end without stuttering or without a hitch!

Starting the project in the Main Screen: No problems at all, the project is played perfect. Also starting from "Fullscreen preview from current position" played the project, but when one chooses different starting points on the timeline, it takes from a few seconds to more than 10 seconds to start the project from that location.

Further tests with PTE version 9.0.14 and my personal conclusion:

Only my last created project with PTE 9.0.14 gives problems when started in "Objects and Animations" and in "Preview". The project plays correctly in "Main screen" and the .exe file plays without a hitch.
All projects that I made with previous versions of PTE play perfectly after conversion to version 9.0.14, also with all .exe files no problems.

I also tried test projects from Linn, and other members of the forum, and they all play without problems.
It comes down to the fact that when a slide in "Objects and Animations" is overloaded with too many objects and effects, the memory of the computer is overloaded.

Igor, how far can we go with that? Because with a 64-bit operating system and 16 Gb of RAM machine the use of memory is, for the time being, still limited.

Thanks for your time and efforts,

Cor

Thanks Igor for very fast respons.

Test with experimental version PTE 9:

- Deleted all versions of PTE on my computer.

- New start-up of computer, installation of experimental version PTE 9, opening "problem" project (it's the same project we discussed a few days ago)

- At first, test in Objects and Animations (slide 3 = most problematic): The objects are all loaded, but slow, but no error messages. Play with some hesitations.

- Test from "Preview": 3 error messages:

1) Application Error    Exception EOutOfMemory in module PteViewer5.exe at 0008D45E.    Out of Memory.      OK

2) PteViewer5.exe: MM Operation after uninstall. Fast MM has detected a FreeMem call after FastMM was uninstalled.

3) PteViewer5.exe is not working anymore (text in Dutch). There is a problem and that's why the program does not work anymore. The program will be closed...         Close Program.

Igor, I'll send you a PM and a message via WeTransfer.

Greetings,

Cor

Igor,

Test with 2nd experimental version PTE 9 4gb:

- Deleted previous version.

- New start-up of computer, installation of 2nd experimental version PTE 9, opening "problem" project

- At first, test in Objects and Animations (slide 3 = most problematic): The objects are all loaded, some hesitations during loading, but play back without error messages.

The first play back some hesitation with the turning planet, but second and thirth play back flawless.

- Test from "Preview": No error messages. The project is played from beginning to end without hesitations or stuttering.

The Task Manager shows values of 1435,4 Mb, but without problems now.

Playing from Main Screen and .exe always perfect. 

Igor,

Congratulations for the fantastic result that you and your team have achieved again.
This version of PTE 9 4Gb gives you a huge advantage over the competition.
Again proof that PicturesToExe is the best software for professionals but also a blessing for the many amateur users.

Thank you sir.

Cor

Cor,

Thanks for the confirmation. I'm glad.

Please only remember that it's an experimental version. I'm sure that it will work correctly, but it's a serious change in the code and it requires long testing. We would prefer to include it officially to the future version 10.0. Several months of beta-testing will prove that everything is OK.