WnSoft Forums

PTE 9.0.15 : F-secure detects a virus for every EXE file [SOLVED]

jmG-06100

Now that I have upgraded PTE to version 9.0.15, every EXE file that I create Under Windows 7 is removed for potential virus infection.

Windows 7  - Business Edition; Version : 6.1.7601

That is for a single stand-alone EXE file.  No problem with "Windows certified" EXE file and associated PTshow sidecar.

Is that a "false positive", or do other users have similar problems of virus detection with other virus/malware detction/protection systems?

https://www.f-secure.com/en/web/labs_global/home

All files *.exe listed below have been created by me today, using PTE9.

I have made a test with PTE8: no malicious virus detected at all.

fsecure1.jpg

fsecure2.jpg

I have sent a simple sample suspect EXE file to. F-Secure Customer Care <customer-care@f-secure.comand I will report any response that I may obtain from them.

I did write that I sent a sample EXE file to F-secure and they replied:

<<Greetings,

Thank you for contacting F-Secure.

We are in the midst of evaluating the file you submitted.
We will notify you with an update once the analysis is complete.

Please do not hesitate to contact us should you require further assistance.

Thank you.

Best regards,
Shem
Malware Analyst
F-Secure Security Labs>>

So let's hope they fix the false positive quickly.

Thanks for your two rapid replies to my worry.

Greetings,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. Our analysis indicates that the file you submitted is clean.

We have identified the issue as a False Positive, which will be resolved in an upcoming database update.

In the meantime, you may exclude this file from further scanning by the security product. You can do so using the following instructions:

Internet Security 2015:
https://community.f-secure.com/t5/F-Secure-SAFE/How-do-I-exclude-a-file-or/ta-p/56363

Client Security:
https://help.f-secure.com/product.html#business/client-security/12.00/en/task_13205052E3D44C44BA2491A55A7F818F-12.00-en

Policy Manager and PSB Workstation:
https://community.f-secure.com/t5/Management/Excluding-objects-from-Real-Time/ta-p/66013

If you wish to manually update your security product's database, you can use the tools and instructions at:
https://www.f-secure.com/en/web/labs_global/removal-tools/-/carousel/view/140

We apologize for any inconveniences that this false positive may have caused. If there is anything else we can help you with, please do not hesitate to contact us again.

Best regards,
Li Ken
Malware Analyst
F-Secure Security Labs

I have the same problem with this difference:

I have reinstalled PTE because I was enable to create the exe file

The first time I created the exe file, but right after appear the message from F-secureErrorMessage2.jpg.47f36ee74944dfc6fe93d34da04aea67.jpg

that remove the file PCExecutable.dat

I try to create one more time the exe file , I have un error by PTE and a warning by F-secure

Pte gets stucks

ErrorMessage1.jpg.2065f6140e963b838a90b6280d2e2ba7.jpg

I think that second error is due to the file erased in the first step but, now I don't know what to do.

With the PTE 8:0  I can create the exe file without problem and the antivirus does not intervene.

I hope for some solution

Best regards

Adriano Mascherin

Adriano

The simplest way to avoid the current problem, with PTE9.0.15, is to generate an EXE file that is "certified for Windows", i.e. the second option in the CREATE menu and not to create the single EXE file  ("F9" shortcut).

Otherwise, once you have finalised your project, you can create the single EXE file that F-secure will move to the Quarantine folder. You can then go to F-secure, look at the files in Quarantine and instruct F-secure that your EXE file is actually clean (but you will need to do that each time PTE9.0.15 generates a new EXE file).  The previous release of PTE9 does not give rise to this conflict with F-secure.

Maybe you can make a very short PTE project, generate the EXE file and then send it to F-secure so that they may modify their software quicker if we are many more users to complain...

Yes Adriano,

Did you not read the message from F-Secure? It is an antivirus problem...

=============================================
"We apologize for any inconveniences that this false positive may have caused. If there is anything else we can help you with, please do not hesitate to contact us again."
Best regards,
Li Ken
Malware Analyst
F-Secure Security Labs
=============================================

Best regards,

Lin

Hello Wideangle

I'm sorry to read that yet another antivirus believes there is a malware when there ain't none ; Bullgard probably shares part of the same database as F-secure.  In my case, the PREVIEW within PTE9 works fine and the only problem occurs with EXE files that I create to conclude.

I have once again written to customer-care@f-secure.com to encourage them to find a solution.  I also asked: <<Is there a specific signature in our EXE files that you could maybe indicate to WNsoft, the developer of PTE, who might then be able to adapt their software to avoid F-Secure false positive?>> 

But I do not really believe that's the way to go!

On ‎26‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 12:53 PM, Igor Kokarev said:

Igor,

As an interim solution, is there a way for me to revert to the previous version (PTE 9.0.14) that had no conflict with F-secure?  Unfortunately I did not keep a downloaded version of it, as I performed the upgrade directly.  Could you please give us a link for dowload?  Many thanks.

Many thanks, smithrg.

I have very quickly done the dowload to get, it seems, version 8.0.14; I then tried again and obtained the desired 9.0.14 file.  Great stuff.

I will now use that previous version for a while. Thanks again.

P.S.

I have kept both versions on my computer (I just RENAMED the newest "PicturesToExe.exe" file as "PicturesToExe_9.0.15.exe") so that I can easily use one version or the other, and check when F-secure stops giving a false positive.

jmG-06100, I first made a mistake and uploaded 8.0.14, instead of 9.0.14, that is how you got the wrong link first.

I wasn't fast enough with my edit to correct it before you downloaded ver.8.

Best regards

• Igor changed the title to PTE 9.0.15 : F-secure detects a virus for every EXE file [SOLVED]

F-secure appear to have corrected their bug, as I have no warnings anymore on a good dozen EXE files generated by PTE 9.0.15 yesterday (similarly with PTE 9.0.16 of today).

However one large EXE file (4 Giga Bytes) that I created on January 25th is still flagged as potentially harmful and blocked by the antivirus.  The new version of that same file is OK now.

Note that Igor has stated that PTE version 9.0.16 "Fixed problem with BitDefender antivirus due to false positive. Developers of BitDefender were informed about this problem, but solution might take several days or more. We simply rebuilt the executable files of PicturesToExe to avoid a conflict with BitDefender wrong detection. "  Hopefully that will also help with F-secure, bullguard and others.