WnSoft Forums

Default Font in Captions

Rickl

Version 9.0.16.  I give up.  I have to enter captions on 122 slides and would like to change the default font in the Text tool or the new Captions slide style .  There used to be a save default option in the text tool, but I can't find it...  Help!?

Dick

THANK YOU!  Dave!...  Until now I did not appreciate that a caption was just a preset using settings in the Text tool.  An obvious method.  In earlier versions, before Slide Styles were incorporated, I used to change the default font in the Text properties and the setting would stick...  But this is a better solution where all caption properties can be set in a simple selection... 

Dick

Thanks very much Dave.  I am starting to get an understanding of the Slide Styles.

I created a simple caption style changing the font and saved it as a style.  Worked great until I  tried it on a single bordered portrait image on a 16:9 slide.  To my surprise, the caption was placed on a very highly zoomed image that covered the whole 16:9 window.  Then began a search for the fit/cover property of an image...  Clearly, I am not learning fast enough to keep up with the enhancements to PTE :)   

I can see that a manual for PTE would be a major project!

Rick, I also thought that there used to be a way to save a default font option for text  but  I searched recently and could not find it.   After reading your message, I have just tried again to find it.

If you click on the "Project Options" button and select "options",  the first item on the screen is "Customize Font".    You can change font, text size, color, etc.  There is a "Click to Apply to All Slides" button.   I thought I had found what I was looking for.

But it doesn't work for me.    Does anyone shed any light on this?  

Hi Shirley,

In PTE 9 It only applies to "captions."  Just as a reminder for those who are new to PTE, there are two types of text:  Captions and Text.  Text is what is entered in Objects and Animations and works as an "object" which can be totally controlled with any of the animation features of PTE. Captions can be set to a universal font and "position" and size including shadows, etc., with Project Options. They appear on the Objects list as "text comment"  and from there can be selected and controlled just as "Text" can, but the font types for "captions" can be adjusted globally from Project Options while in PTE 9 there is no facility for doing this globally with "Text."  There may have been, in version 8 a way to do this but not in version 9 to my knowledge.

The way to work around this for a project is to enter all text vial the "comments" rather than in the conventional way of using the Text button at the top of the screen or the right click and selecting " Add Text or Hyperlink."  By doing via the "comments" you can set in preferences for this project a particular type and color then adjust when necessary on each slide by choosing "Text Comment" and treating it as a conventional "text" comment.

Best regards,

Lin 

Hi Shirley,

I found that same feature in Options too...  I tried it, and it did change the default font in that dialog...  But every time I added a Text in O&A, the old Arial font was still there.  So I really don't know what the Options Custom does...

Thanks for your comment Lin.  I've searched all the Project Options, and found an Option called "Defaults" showing a setting for "Text Comments"  with Font settings.  Is this what you meant about "Text Comments"?  How do you add a text comment in O&A?

Dick 

Hi Rick,

Give me just a few minutes and I'll make a quick video for you which should help. Also, of course, read the link Dave posted above which explains text in the manual.

O.K. Here's a little video which explains using Text Comments rather than Text.... Click on the link below to view video....

Best regards,

Lin

testexp.wmv

Thank you so much Lin!  What an valuable resource you are to the PTE community!  I've been watching this forum for years, and learned much from your tutorials!  I had no trouble understanding your presentation, and you hit the nail on the head in the first minute with the  Preferences setting.  I didn't have a text comment box on my menu!   You and Dave provide so much support to this forum, and we are so grateful for your support...

Dick

On 2/13/2018 at 10:26 AM, Rickl said:

Thank you so much Lin!  What an valuable resource you are to the PTE community!  I've been watching this forum for years, and learned much from your tutorials!    You and Dave provide so much support to this forum, and we are so grateful for your support...

Dick

Lin and Dave, I second the statement by Dick, thank you both for all the help you both contribute to the forum.

Best regards, Robert

On 2/11/2018 at 2:02 PM, shirleyhogan said:

Rick, I also thought that there used to be a way to save a default font option for text  but  I searched recently and could not find it.   After reading your message, I have just tried again to find it.

If you click on the "Project Options" button and select "options",  the first item on the screen is "Customize Font".    You can change font, text size, color, etc.  There is a "Click to Apply to All Slides" button.   I thought I had found what I was looking for.

But it doesn't work for me.    Does anyone shed any light on this?  

Hi Shirley,  Loose ends...  You saw Lin's reply to me?  He created a short video that explained the issue clearly.  Did you see it?  Feel free to watch it...

DIck