WnSoft Forums

Monitor Recommendations (SOLVED)

goddi

Greetings,

I am thinking of getting a new monitor. I currently have a Samsung 23" monitor with a TV tuner. So, maybe I have a TV that I use as a computer monitor. It work out well but I'd like a 27" or so larger monitor that has a TV tuner.

The problem is that you can't get as detailed specs for TVs as you can for computer monitors. I like the dual function of a TV being used also as a computer monitor. But it is difficult to find a TVs for a desk that are smaller in size to be used for photo/video editing for a computer. Is having a TV as your computer monitor for editing photos and videos not a good thing? A monitor that is strictly a computer monitor is more expensive and not sure why. Using a flat screen TV seems to work for me. Maybe I am missing something.

Any advise/recommendations would be welcomed. What specs are important and which are not if you are going to get a TV as your computer monitor?

Gary

1 hour ago, Igor Kokarev said:

Gary,

Probably there is an external TV box for any computer monitor? So you could choose any monitor and watch TV on it.

Personally I prefer Dell monitors now.

Igor,

Thanks, I had not thought of that possibility. But, the main question is can a 'TV' be as good a display as a 'monitor' for photo and video editing?

Also, size matters. Hard to find a TV that would fit on a desk. The smallest TVs are about 32". I'd think I'd prefer a 27".

Is a 4K the way to go, for the future, if only used for editing? Is 144hz really needed? What about IPS?

If I can fit a 32" or 27"  Samsung Smart TV on my desk for my PTE processing, I am just wonder what I might be losing by not buying a "monitor".

But, it seems that 27" TVs are 720p, not 1080p. Just too many specs to juggle to make a decision... And TVs are less expensive than monitors...

Gary

These days I consider how people are likely to watch my show.  Nowadays, it is likely to be on a 4K 42' - 65" TV.  I check my shows on a 55" 4K TV as well as a Dell monitor.  A large screen TV doesn't look and feel the same as a screen on a desk.  I want both to work, but what "sells" is the look and feel and immersion of big.  For prints, I use a different thought process entirely.

Hi Gary

Back in January I treated myself to a new LG Monitor 32inch IPS model LG 32MP58HQ-P it is absolutely fabulous . It as many features including split screen many variations of this and for just £240 Have a look on The internet . It also allows me to connect my Sat TV box to it . The only problem I had was the sound was not good so I purchased a Logitech sound system that made some thing good into perfect .

Michael

2 hours ago, michaelr108 said:

Hi Gary

Back in January I treated myself to a new LG Monitor 32inch IPS model LG 32MP58HQ-P it is absolutely fabulous . It as many features including split screen many variations of this and for just £240 Have a look on The internet . It also allows me to connect my Sat TV box to it . The only problem I had was the sound was not good so I purchased a Logitech sound system that made some thing good into perfect .

Michael

Greetings Michael,

You got me to take a look at what Costco has for monitors. I found the 'LG 27UD59-B 27" Ultra HD IPS 4K Freesync Monitor". A 32" or larger would be too big for my desk. I could add an external TV tuner, as Igor mentioned. I guess my question now, are there any negatives in getting a 4K monitor and IPS if you are only doing the image and video editing on it. I play my shows on my 40" Samsung Smart TV and they look perfect. This LG seems to be a good fit but not sure if I am going in the right direction with its specs, for $329.99. Opinions?

They also have a Dell, non-4K.

Gary

https://www.costco.com/LG-27UD59-B-27"-Ultra-HD-IPS-4K-Freesync-Monitor--.product.100386158.html

• Breathtaking clarity and fine details of 4K
  • [3840 x 2160] Four Times the Resolution of Full HD
  • 5ms Response Time
  • 75Hz Refresh Rate With FreeSync
  • On-Screen Control with Screen Split 2.0

Greetings,

In anticipation of getting a new monitor, I thought I'd try switching my cabling from using the DVI cable to an HDMI, on my current Samsung monitor. When I switch to the HDMI cable, the quality of the monitor really degrades. Also, the desktop icons are pushed off the edges of the monitor screen as if the aspect ratio changed (but the settings are still 1920x1080). I understand that there really is no different between these cables and I should get the same results. But I am not. What can be the difference between these cable results and getting such poor results with the HDMI cable?

Gary

Gary,

If you prefer set a low brightness, pay attention to this parameter. Many LG monitors are too bright at "zero" brightness level. I sold my recent LG monitor for this reason.

Also I recommend to choose only monitors and TVs with flicker free technology. Flickers can cause eyestrain and headache.

IPS displays and PLS displays are best, on my opinion.

144 Hz usually available in monitors for gamers and they have TN screen technology which doesn't offer good viewing angles as IPS.

P.S. I use Dell P2317H (23").

Greetings,

Well, to put a cap on this topic, finally found a monitor and placed an order. I think I got a pretty good deal on one.

I got the 'Dell 27" IPS LED 4K UHD Monitor', P2715Q. BestBuy had the price at $499.99. But I found it advertised on Amazon for $399.99, so BestBuy matched the price.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/dell-27-ips-led-4k-uhd-monitor-black/2438098.p?skuId=2438098

I almost got the similar LG monitor but the stand seemed shakey. And my PC will connect to the monitor with the DP ports. I can connect an external TV tuner to the PC's USB port.

So thanks for the input. Gary