WnSoft Forums

Synchronising Images to Music - on the Fly

Is the synchronisation of images to music an important and some may say vital part of audio visual,  or is this a task we should expect our computer to do for us, automatically? It's really No Contest in my view. Its a creative process and needs to be in the creators hands. Here is how I have managed this task for around 20 years

Synchronising Images to Music - on the Fly on YouTube

Synchronising Images to Music - on the Fly - Download

Some people may like this method. Sorry, but I do not! Working this way means that you will end somewhere in the middle of the music, at a position that you cannot predict. As a consequence, you have to stall the music. Even if you fade it out, it is likely that it will not sound good. In cases of simple shows having just a single music clip, I prefer to start with the finale, and then working backwards, from the end of the show towards the start. Fading in from somewhere in the music at the start of the show typically works better than fading out at the end.

BTW, from a musical point of view, I do not like the transition points in the example. In most cases I would like to see them at beat 1 of the next bar.

Barry

The creative process is in the decision-making of which beats to attach slides to, and in the way they appear (maybe instant, or fading in etc).

There is no creativity in identifying where those beats are in the piece of music.
If the software could mark the position of each beat automatically, it would save the slight hit and miss approach and tweaking that you have to use in your method.
(I hasten to add that I have used the same method as you on occasions.)

Also, somewhere else in another thread, you mentioned that your method is straightforward for people who can clap their hands to the music, but you also point out that some people are not able to do this.
Such a facility would help them.

Regards

wideangle

Jt.

Finding a good starting point and a natural end to a sequence within the music is part of the skill isn’t it. Are you really saying that working my way does not allow that to be achieved? It was quite easy to achieve here and I am sorry the slide changes are not where you would place them. But, guess what? I don’t care. The show was made for what I like. It’s a creative process you either enjoy it or not. If not? The world will keep turning.

Point  me to examples your best work and perhaps I can make a judgement, but I am not interested in seeing demos and samples and stuff made for fun. 

Wideangle.

if you cannot clap in time to music, stay well away from creating AV in my view, I have seen the results . Having said that, all power to you in getting it included into the software, but be careful what you wish for. As soon as anything become easy to achieve, the human mind loses all respect and desire for it and it has little or no value. You only have to look at our throw away societies for evidence of that.

I have to say that Barry's tutorial explained his method very well and having used it I am sure I will use it again although, depending on the music and if there is any voice over, it is not the only way of doing things. The end result is the important bit however it is achieved.

Mickp

Thanks for the well-presented video Barry.  Very clear, Very nicely done. I tried that method long ago and sometimes use it here and there.  For now, I will stick to my preferred methods, but your video could be very helpful to some people. I just don't know how to recommend it.  I wish it had a less pejorative tone since people other than forum users, designed to receive the negativity, might have benefitted. Maybe rework it?

What other method could be as easier as that. :D Been doing it that way since the days of film and Kodak Carousel projectors, when to create a fade we moved a slider on an electronic box of tricks in time with the music, just like we do now really.

On 23.2.2018 at 12:09 AM, Barry Beckham said:

.... Finding a good starting point and a natural end to a sequence within the music is part of the skill isn’t it. Are you really saying that working my way does not allow that to be achieved .....

That's exactly what I want to say :rolleyes:  But for people who like simple cooking recipes, it can be regarded as quite OK :)

(This is my last contribution to this thread.)