WnSoft Forums

Video Clip-Convert Problems

goddi

Greetings,

I converted a video clip and it was saved as ‘filename.converted.avi’. After seeing that I needed to trim off the last section of the video clip, I re-converted it. The filename was to be saved as ‘filename.converted.converted.avi’. I wanted to overwrite the previous version of the video clip so I clicked on the ‘Save As’ icon (three dots) and changed the name to ‘filename.converted.avi’. When I clicked on the ‘Convert All’, I get an ‘Error’ in the Status box. Why do I get an ‘Errror’?

So I tried it again but I let it convert to the ‘filename.converted.converted.avi’ filename. Then I delete the previously made ‘filename.converted.ave’ and re-named the ‘filename.converted.converted.avi’ to ‘filename.converted.avi’. Then I clicked on ‘Change Video File’ to replace the original converted clip in Slides with this trimmed video clip. The newly trimmed clip is in the Slides but the length of the trimmed video clip stayed the same length as the original clip. The trimmed video clip plays its new trimmed length but continues with its last frame shown for the remainder of the length of the original video clip. The length of the video clip is not adjusted to the new shorter trimmed length when I used the 'Change Video File'.

I have to remove the clip in the Slides and then re-add it to the Slides. Seems that ‘Change Video File’ should make the adjustment to reflect the length of the replacement clip.

Gary

7 hours ago, davegee said:

DG

Dave, Not sure what you are trying to say with just the link. The questions still have not been resolved after almost 3 years.

There seems to be a problem(s) with the convert process, at least to me. The intuitive thing to do, for me, if you want to put a video clip into the Slides, is to just drag it down from the File List to the Slides. After dragging it into the Slides, it usually asks if you want to Convert/Trim the clip. Then if you also Trim the clip, I’d expect the new length of the video clip in the Slides will be reflected in the clip’s new trimmed length.

If I read your posts correctly, you say you should do the Convert/Trim function of the clip while it is in the File List, before you drag it down to the Slides. Then the new trimmed length would be reflected. I suggest that the new trimmed length of the clip should be reflected no matter which method is used.

So, I deleted the previous ‘converted’ files for this video clip, as if I am starting over. I dragged the MOV clip down to the Slides and it asked if I wanted to ‘Optimize’ it (same as Convert, I assume). I clicked OK. Before, I would normally get the Optimize window and have a chance to select the Trim function. But this time, it automatically just started the Optimizing (did not show the Optimizing window), no chance to Trim.

I then started over again. I dragged down the MOV clip into the Slides expecting the Optimizing/Trim window and nothing happened. The clip was just dropped into the Slides as an MOV.

Your reference to my old posting of almost 3 years ago indicates that nothing has been done to resolve these questions. If I read the old postings correctly, it says that the ‘correct’ method is to do the convert/trim while the MOV file is in the File List and then bring down the converted/trimmed clip into the Slides. To me, this is just a work-around to avoid a problem. The convert/trim process should work the same whether you do it in the File List or drag the clip into the Slides.

But back to the questions:

1-Why was I getting an ‘Error’ when I tried to change the filename?

2-When you Trim a video clip, why shouldn’t the new length of the clip always reflect the new trimmed length regardless of the method you use to convert/trim?

3-Why shouldn’t the convert process work the same whether you convert the clip in the File List or dragging it into the Slides?

4-And, why do sometimes when I drag down a video clip into the Slides, the convert process brings up the Convert/Trim window (as expected), and sometimes starts converting automatically without showing the Convert/Trim window and other times it just inserts the video clip as the MOV file?

5-When I select ‘Change Video File’, the length of the replacement video clip is not used. It keeps the previous clip’s length. Why? Sure there are times when you want to keep the length of the previous video’s slot the same but that should not be the default.

Gary

28 minutes ago, goddi said:

So, I deleted the previous ‘converted’ files for this video clip, as if I am starting over. I dragged the MOV clip down to the Slides and it asked if I wanted to ‘Optimize’ it (same as Convert, I assume). I clicked OK. Before, I would normally get the Optimize window and have a chance to select the Trim function. But this time, it automatically just started the Optimizing (did not show the Optimizing window), no chance to Trim.

Use the Right Click Menu.

https://docs.picturestoexe.com/en-us/9.0/video/main

DG

37 minutes ago, davegee said:

Use the Right Click Menu.

https://docs.picturestoexe.com/en-us/9.0/video/main

DG

The Help says:

Add Video to Slide List

This can be done as follows.

• Select an unconverted video (or videos) from the File List and Right Click on it. Choose “Add Selected Files to Project”. You are asked if you want to Optimize the file. Choose “Optimize”. The file will be added to the Slide list while the Optimization is carried out in the background. When Optimization is complete the Converted File is shown in the Slide List. (The conversion might take several minutes).
  • Select a Converted Video (or Videos) from the File List and Right Click on it. Choose “Add Selected Files to Project”. The converted file is added to the Slide List.
  • Drag an unconverted video (or videos) from the File List into the Slide List. You are asked if you want to Optimize the file. Choose “Optimize”. The file will be added to the Slide list while the Optimization is carried out in the background. When Optimization is complete the Converted File is shown in the Slide List. (The conversion might take several minutes).
  • Drag a Converted Video (or Videos) from the File List into the Slide List.
Yes, I know you can use the Right Click Menu. I have done this and it usually works. But you can also drag down the unconverted clip to the Slides. However, as I have pointed out above, dragging an unconverted clip does not always activate the Convert/Trim window or the conversion process. The unconverted MOV file was inserted into the Slides. No Convert/Trim window appeared. Not supposed to happen.

Also, after doing a Right Click on the clip in the File List, and selecting Convert Video Clip, the conversion has started immediately without showing the Convert/Trim window.

Other times, it works as it should. There seems to be an inconsistency in the  conversion process, among other questions mentioned above, like length of the clip when you                           Change Video File.

One thing I just noticed, that after the Right Click, the Help says choose 'Add Selected Files to  Project'. Seems that should be used and not Convert Video Clip? Shouldn't they do the same thing? But then the Help also says:

Whichever way the Video is added it is advisable to Convert the Video Clip before adding it to the Project. This can be done by “Right clicking” on the Video File in the File List and choosing “Convert Video Clip”.
Gary

Hi Gary,

Not to get into the particulars of this because I really haven't the energy to do it, but the simple solution to your issue is to just change the time the video clip is displayed. Slide Options, Display Time. Fade out the video with opacity, manage the audio by loading the video as an audio file and use the waveform. It's all so incredibly easy to do...

Best regards,

Lin

26 minutes ago, Lin Evans said:

Hi Gary,

Not to get into the particulars of this because I really haven't the energy to do it, but the simple solution to your issue is simply to change the time the video clip is displayed. Slide Options, Display Time. Fade out the video with opacity, manage the audio by loading the video as an audio file and use the waveform. It's all so incredibly easy to do...

Best regards,

Lin

Lin,

Sure, I can do all those things. I can 'fix' the problems. I am trying to highlight problems that I see as bugs. These are inconsistencies that should not happen. I post these things in Troubleshooting in hopes that Igor will check them out and find a solution. It is discouraging that the same problems crop up after having posted them years ago. PTE is a great program but it has to get back to fixing basic concerns. I have been using PTE for a very long time. I find many non-intuitive items that can and should be fixed but seem to be ignored.

When I do a posting as I have done above, I hope to get support from other users who might have experienced the same problem. But I get what I would call work-arounds to solve the problem or links to the Help documents that don't really address a solution to the problem. I am just a user that experiences problems that I think can and should be addressed.

Gary

Gary,

The solution I suggested is not a "work-around" it's just the simple way to achieve what you are trying to do without all the drama. PTE has the convert feature for a good reason but several other features such as trim are just conveniences.  PTE isn't a video editing software. The next version of PTE will have many changes to the video engine so spending development time on something which may or may not be a real bug is probably not a good use of the programming team's time. Trying to make PTE suit each user's style is an exercise in futility to me. Software is never "bug free." It's not certain that what you are experiencing isn't a bug with the OS. When there is a simple way to do what you want without all the fiddling around, why not just use it and get on with making your show?  I'm not suggesting that trying to chase bugs is not something which developers should do, but when there is a simple way to achieve what you are trying to do and no one else is complaining about the same thing why not just get on with making your show and if the development team can address this once all other pressing issues which numerous users are having are solved, then that would be great. Just saying....

Best regards,

Lin

Greetings,

Not to beat a dead horse, but here is an example of a 'bug' that Dave brought up about 'Change Video File' and the Slide Duration not being updated. Igor responded but it has not been fixed, as I have just  pointed out above. When something does not  work intuitively or as the Help indicates, for me, any other steps are a 'work-around'. Sure we can all get to where we want to get to but let's try to make the program more logical and consistent. I am not trying to make PTE fit my 'style', as you pointed out. Just trying to make it better.

For example, the Help's 'Add Video to Slide List' section says to use 'Add Selected Files To Project' to add a video to the project. What is the difference between the 'Convert Video Clip' and the 'Add Selected Files to Project' when you want to add a video to the Slides? They seem to give different results. The Help also says " Whichever way the Video is added it is advisable to Convert the Video Clip before adding it to the Project. This can be done by “Right clicking” on the Video File in the File List and choosing “Convert Video Clip”."  If they don't give similar and consistent results, as I have found, perhaps they should be looked at. :)

Gary

So much of what you have written here does NOT happen on my PC/Laptop.

16 minutes ago, goddi said:

For example, the Help's 'Add Video to Slide List' section says to use 'Add Selected Files To Project' to add a video to the project. What is the difference between the 'Convert Video Clip' and the 'Add Selected Files to Project' when you want to add a video to the Slides? They seem to give different results.

Using "Convert Video Clip" sends the clip to the Video Converter where full editing features are offered. The Clip is converted and added to the File List.

If I use "Add Selected Files" to add Unconverted Video (instead of Dragging) - I am offered the OPTIMISATION window and if I accept the Optimisation Icon appears in my Taskbar. I can then access the Video Converter and Stop the Optimisation/Conversion in order to TRIM the Video(s). However, in the case of the "Add Selected Files", this will not alter the Slide Duration because the Slide Duration is SET when the Image/Video is added to the Slide List. The Converted File can be add to the Slide List and ITS Duration will then set the Slide Duration. As others have said, I assume that you would not want to alter Slide Duration in a slide containing multiple Objects if a Video Duration is changed by Trimming.

16 hours ago, goddi said:

Also, after doing a Right Click on the clip in the File List, and selecting Convert Video Clip, the conversion has started immediately without showing the Convert/Trim window.

16 hours ago, goddi said:

However, as I have pointed out above, dragging an unconverted clip does not always activate the Convert/Trim window or the conversion process.

NEVER happened to me.

"Convert Video Clip" does what it says - it converts an Unconverted Video Clip and ALWAYS offers the Trim Facility. If the Conversion started immediately then I supect that you might have started a conversion and Paused it or similar - invoking the "Convert" command re-started conversion.

"Add Selected Files" can apply to both Converted and unconverted files and the appropriate action is ALWAYS consistent.

So much of what you have said should REALLY be in Suggestions for Next Version but you might even get some objections there.

I have Unticked the Notifications for this thread for the sake of my sanity.

DG

2 hours ago, davegee said:

I have Unticked the Notifications for this thread for the sake of my sanity.

DG

Dave, I usually appreciate your insights and help. However, your snide remarks are not really welcomed nor helpful. Oh, yea...and if it doesn't happen to you, that does not mean it doesn't happen. :)

Gary

Hi Gary,

From a old software developer's perspective, if it happens on one system and not on another, it could very well be some interaction between the application software and the operating system or between the application and environment. The problem could be on either end. Since no one else has mentioned this problem and since it doesn't happen on Dave's system or on mine, (I'm running XP and Win 8.1) it "may" be something unique to your system. Rather than chase in circles, why don't you run dxdiag and post the report so Igor know exactly what you have in terms of system resources, CPU, OS, drivers, video hardware, etc. Unless it also happens on Igor's system(s) it is very difficult to try to ferret out the answer without all the data.

Best regards,

Lin 

1 hour ago, Lin Evans said:

Hi Gary,

From a old software developer's perspective, if it happens on one system and not on another, it could very well be some interaction between the application software and the operating system or between the application and environment. The problem could be on either end. Since no one else has mentioned this problem and since it doesn't happen on Dave's system or on mine, (I'm running XP and Win 8.1) it "may" be something unique to your system. Rather than chase in circles, why don't you run dxdiag and post the report so Igor know exactly what you have in terms of system resources, CPU, OS, drivers, video hardware, etc. Unless it also happens on Igor's system(s) it is very difficult to try to ferret out the answer without all the data.

Best regards,

Lin 

Greetings Lin,

It really is not the my system doing something strange, I believe. I am using Win10. The confusion with the Convert process stems from some functions not being intuitive or consistent. I have been fooling around a bit more with this and have come to some better understandings of what is going on.

For example, when you select 'Convert Video Clip', you get the 'Video Converter' with the 'Trim' function, etc. After the Convert is done, the converted clip stays in the File List and you have to drag it down to the Slides. Ok.

If you select 'Add Selected File to Project', then 'Optimize', the 'Video Converter' starts immediately with no opportunity to Trim or do any of its functions.

If you drag down a video clip, you get the 'Optimize' window, but, it, too, starts the convert process automatically with no opportunity to Trim or do any of it functions.

What is the difference between 'Optimization' and 'Convert'? Change 'Optimize' to 'Convert'.

The 'Add Selected File to Project' for video clips just adds to the confusion since it is recommended to always Convert your video clips and seems best to use the 'Convert Video Clip' function.

Sometimes, when I drag down a video clip to the Slides, and select 'Optimize', the Video Convert window does not show up and I get the MOV file in the  Slides. No Convert done. Then, if I drag down another video clip, the Video Convert window does show up and it has both video file being converted. This has happened several times.

Then there is the Trim function. Makes no sense that the duration of the video clip that you have Trimmed does not adjust to the new shorter length, as the default. Also, when you 'Change Video Clip', the default should be to adjust to the new length of the new clip. Just my views...

Anyway, no need to respond. I've already burned out Dave's brain. Hope he recovers....:)

Gary