WnSoft Forums

Color Management should be a Project Option!

Presently, Color Management in PTE is part of the editor's settings (Settings > Preferences > System). Question: What is the purpose of the edtor's settings? The settings help the user to work with the editor in a way he likes to do it. So he can configure the toolbars, choose a particular language for the user interface etc. Changing the settings typically does not have any influence on creating exe-presentations. But there is at least one exception: It is Color Management. The Color Mangement setting is not part of a project but when creating an exe-output from this project, the global color management setting becomes part of the exe-output. Not good, I think!

So, when I want to prepare an exe-show for somebody else running his machine with a color profile different from mine, I have to change my global settings of my PTE editor to a wrong profile, export the exe, and then I have to reset my color settings. It works, but it is beyond any logic.  If Color Management were a Project Option, it would be possible to create different instances of project files, each one according to the color needs of the destination monitors.

Hi,

We thought that it's not necessary to frequently change modes of color management in PTE 9.

Moving these parameters to the Project Options will cause opposite issue - users will have to set again this option in all projects, or create a template.

Color management set to "Current monitor profile" mode (in Preferences) automatically adapts your project for a computer where you run your EXE show. It will work correctly on your display and on another PC with different color profile.

Additionally you may try to use a CMD/BAT file with command lines to run your EXE file. You can force to run any EXE file created in PTE 9 with any mode of color management. No need to create a separate EXE file. Simply add one or two BAT files - run this EXE show in sRGB mode or use current monitor profile:

https://www.picturestoexe.com/forums/topic/19805-color-management-in-pte-9/

-noicc - disable color management and color profiles of images (works as PTE 8).

-icc srgb - use sRGB color space

-icc adobergb - use AdobeRGB color space

-icc - use current monitor profile

-icc profilename.icc/icm - use custom color profile which is located in same folder with EXE.

I know about these features, and they are documented in the Online Help :)

For me it is a question of esthetics and software design. The preferences for the editor should avoid functions that have side effects on the program's output. With your argument you could also move the background color from the Project Options to the Preferences (Igitt - Ugh!) :rolleyes: