WnSoft Forums

Linking clips on the same track to the same slide

I'm sorry to say that I have deleted my topic from yesterday accidentally. So here, I post it again :rolleyes:

Maybe, that this topic has been discussed before, I don't remember?

In the Timeline it isn't possible to link 2 or more audio clips to the same slide. I have often asked myself why this "feature" has been introduced. I don't see any reason for this restriction. In fact, we can circumvent this restriction, as in the Project Options (Audio tab) we really can link several clips from one track to the same slide (marked red, but it works). I often make use of it. I typically cut commentary into very short clips. So I often have 2 or more clips that belong to the same slide, and I want to link them all to this slide. Placing the clips on different track would be awkward.

My recommendation for the actions in the Timeline: Allow 2 or more clips from the same track to be linked to the same slide.

-------------

There have been 2 replies:

1. jkb just said "+1".   (That's fine :))

2. Jean-Cyprien pointed out that it is possible to link several clips to the same slide, provided that they are located on different tracks. He also asks, why I regard the placement of clips to different tracks as awkward.

My reply to Jean-Cyprien: From my original post it should be clear that I know how linking works. Regarding a situation as awkward is a matter of personal taste. I prefer to keep my timeline as clear and tidy as possible. And for me a smaller number of tracks is helpful with regard to this aspect. Let me say it again: IMO it does not make any sense to have the present restriction on linking when working in the Timeline. It just seems to be a feature that sometimes forces us to have more audio tracks than we really need :angry:

Hi jt,

Having several tracks is not a problem for me, but I undestand easily your preference.

That said, as you, I don't understand why it is not possible to link several files to the same slide in the timeline when at the same time,  it is possible to do it in the Project options, even if it is red marked.

So, I agree with your recommendation.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Can you explain in more details benefits of linking two or more audio clips on same track to same slide?

If a link first audio clip to a slide, all next audio clips (on same track) automatically become linked. When you move a slide, these audio clips also is being moved.

This is why the timeline view doesn't allow to link other audio clips if this track already contain one linked audio clip.

The Project Options allows it, but indicates about an error (red color of an caption).

Hi Igor,

if a link first audio clip to a slide, all next audio clips (on same track) automatically become linked. When you move a slide, these audio clips also is being moved.

This does not happen!

If I link a clip to slide 1, then move slide 1 to a different position - Slide 10, then only the clip linked to slide 1 moves, all other clips stay where they were on the timeline.

There are many reasons we need to link more than 1 sound clip -

for example we have speech which is broken up into small sections & we need to adjust the position of a slide.
Then all of the small speech clips need to be moved by the same amount to follow the slide.

Or if we have carefully worked out timings of sound to images but find we need to insert or remove one or more slides - all of the carefully timed clips need to move to keep their relationship with the slides.

It would be very useful if we could link several sound clips (on same and different tracks) with each other & be able to move them as a block.

Jill

4 hours ago, Igor Kokarev said:

.... If a link first audio clip to a slide, all next audio clips (on same track) automatically become linked. When you move a slide, these audio clips also is being moved ......

I do not agree. You say that clips (not explicitly linked) that follow a linked clip were linked, as well. This is not really true. The effect that we see is only a side effect, as the position of this kind of clips is described via an offset relative to the preceding one. If you move such a clip (not explicitly linked) to some other track it looses its implicit link, and it may become linked (only implicitly) to some other slide. This is perhaps not what we want to see. Only a clip that has been explicitly linked to a particular slide remains linked to this slide, even if you move it across the tracks.

Furthermore: Think of a clip that is explicitly linked to some slide. Now move it to some other track that already has some other clip linked to the same slide. Now you will see two clips on the same track, and they will both have an explicit link to the same slide. Things will work as you will expect it, and the world will seem to be OK. But there will be an indication of an error, but you will only see it in the Project Options. Question: Does this really make sense? It is an error that isn't really one!

My suggestion: Make it legal, linking 2 or more clips that are on the same track to the same slide  :)

The attached picture shows a typical situation where I prefer to link several clips on the same track to the same slide:

5_clips_linked_to_1_slide.thumb.jpg.fe67698f81270adde2bbb9be68141ef0.jpg

Thanks, if it is at all possible could there be a way of linking several audio clips on same/different tracks together - even if only temporary - so that they could all be moved at once.

We may need to do this if we have several clips on same/different tracks that are all timed perfectly with each other, but we then need to adjust the timing of something else earlier in the show. To be able to CRTL click on several clips & move them as a block would really help.

Jill

As you see in my posted image above, I already make use of the feature of linking several images on the same track to the same slide, although PTE indicates errors in the Project Options. I would be glad if PTE wouldn't show these errors any longer, and if it were possible to do this kind of linking also in the Timeline. :rolleyes:

OK, we can try to allow linking of several audio clips to same slide in the timeline view.

Did you notice any side effects of this usage (linking audio clips in the Project Options) ?

We may need to do this if we have several clips on same/different tracks that are all timed perfectly with each other, but we then need to adjust the timing of something else earlier in the show. To be able to CRTL click on several clips & move them as a block would really help.

Jill, 

I added your suggestion to my TODO list.

34 minutes ago, Igor Kokarev said:

OK, we can try to allow linking of several audio clips to same slide in the timeline view. Did you notice any side effects of this usage (linking audio clips in the Project Options) ?

I am glad to read this! Sometimes I make heavy use of this feature (see below), and (so far) I have not noticed any problem.

Options_Audio.png.9fa98120f73b1665b9603bffe23d3bcd.png

1 hour ago, Igor Kokarev said:

... Crossfade for 2 linked clips in same track is not possible ...

I would regard this as an implementation specific question.

The present situation, where you cannot directly link two clips on the same track to the same slide in the timeline isn't perfect, as well. The reason: You can first draw a clip to some other track, link it, and draw it then to the place where you want to see it, with the known consequences (crossfade does not work, and an error indication in the project options) both of which which I do mind. So you force us to apply an odd workaround.

BTW: I do not regard crossfades within the same track as a good solution, as you do not have a good control. I prefer crossfades using two tracks and the envelope.

In the typical situation where you link several (normally very short) clips to the same slide you will not have any crossfades.

I do often use crossfades on the same track for soundeffects.

EG ambient background sounds.

If the clip I have is not long enough I will duplicate the clip several times & crossfade.
As it is only a low volume background sound the crossfades work perfectly.

Also when we are demonstrating PTE to camera clubs etc & I show how to shorten a piece of music to fit the slides the crossfade works very well.
I am often amazed at how well it does work with a very quick random selection to remove part of a piece of music by keeping the start & end & removing the middle.

9 times out of 10 you cannot hear the 'join' Only when the two parts are very different in structure can you hear it.

Obviously if I am blending two different sounds/music together then using the volume envelope on two different tracks gives more accurate control.

If I do need to link several clips to be able to move them, then I accept the lack of crossfade while I move, then I unlink.

Another reason to link several clips is when copying slides to another project.
The sound will only copy when it is linked to a slide.
I sometimes will build up a sequence in several smaller projects, getting each part correct before copying each project into a final one to join them all together.
I need the sounds to be linked to the slides in order to copy them to the new final project.

Jill