WnSoft Forums

Text Object

• 1 month later...

Hi Lin,

Is it fair to move Pierre's question from the Suggestions Forum and offer him what some would consider to be a workaround?

I think that he has a fair question and would like to see it given a fair chance of a reply from Igor.

DG

Dave,

Igor sees the question in both the suggestion and FAQ sections because of the link. The link was left in the suggestions thread. It was a question which has been asked before and answered elsewhere. I moved it to the FAQ section so more people will be able to understand that yes, it's possible in Project Options but only for the current project and not as a universal default.  Users do not ordinarily look in the "suggestions" thread for information on how to do something. If you believe a universal font option  should again be considered for Version 10 as it was in Version 8, why not post that as a suggestion yourself? It was posted as a question and my assumption is that Pierre wanted to know if it could be done?  I don't see how anyone could consider the suggestion a "work-around" in any way. The question was about "Project Options" not "Preferences." A "Project" is the show you are working on, not a universal. So the answer is that in Project Options it's necessary to use Text Comment Customize Font in Default  rather than Add Text or Hyperlink in O&A. If a universal font for all shows is something desired, then it should appear in Preferences AFAIK...

In Version 9, which has almost run its course, it's not possible to set a universal font default. On the other hand it is quite possible to set in the Projects Options the font style, color, size, drop shadow, position, etc., for the current project. The post had been in the suggestions thread for nearly two months with no reply...

Pierre,

Please repeat your question in the Suggestion thread if it is a suggestion for Version 10. It's not a feature in Version 9 but you can set in Project Options a default font, size, color, position, etc., for the current project by using the Comments feature rather than the "add text" feature. Below is a brief video showing you how to do this. If what you want instead is a universal "Preference" then suggest that rather than a "Project Option." 

Lin

Hi Lin,

I cannot understand what made you think that it was NOT a suggestion for Version 10?

"SUGGESTIONS FOR THE NEXT VERSIONS" is where he posted. The next Version after 9 is presumably 10?

Can you link to the question and answer regarding this requested feature in version 10 - I am sure that it exists - I just cannot find it.

It matters not to me whether it is a Global feature or a Project feature.

The Comment feature and the Text Box are two different animals and there are things that you can do (or are more easily done) with a Text Box which cannot be done with a Comment.

It is not that I am desperate for the facility that Pierre has requested (I assume) in Version 10, but I do think that maybe moving his suggestion was a little hasty?? Igor could easily be excused for not following it up because it has been moved.

;)

DG

On 5/8/2018 at 1:17 PM, ppenen said:

Is it possible to have in Project Options the possibility to have the choice of a font by default for Text Object?

Pierre

Pierre,

We plan to restore this function in future PTE 10.

• 4 months later...

Hello

Like Pierre, I would like to see additional features to set-up the text that I use for one given project, for instance "Rosewood Std Regular" for my project after a trip to the wild west of the USA.

Every text I add comes in Arial (I use PTE-9); Yes, it is easy to change the font to one in the top of the list proposed (a nice feature) but that is an additional step; Moreover I have to redefine each time the appearance in terms of shadows cast, etc.  Quite tedious.

I have looked into the "project options", but failed to find how Lin sees this possibility: "On the other hand it is quite possible to set in the Projects Options the font style, color, size, drop shadow, position, etc., for the current project ".  The top option in the "Project Options / Default" to choose a default font style and attributes (shadows...) is valid only for the slide "legends" unfortunately.  Did I miss the proper setting?

I would like to see the same feature offered for standard drop-down text for all the slides that I will add.

Maybe more simply, after setting up the text characteristics in O&A for one slide, please offer a tick box to "retain these characteristics as default values" for the other slides that well be added to the project.  That would please me and probably others too.

Thank you for your kind understanding.

I know it is another workaround, but the easiest way to have consistency through a project is to set up a text object once, then copy & paste that object to the other slides you require text.

Then all you have to do is change the actual text.

Jill

7 hours ago, jmG-06100 said:

Hello

I have looked into the "project options", but failed to find how Lin sees this possibility: "On the other hand it is quite possible to set in the Projects Options the font style, color, size, drop shadow, position, etc., for the current project ".  The top option in the "Project Options / Default" to choose a default font style and attributes (shadows...) is valid only for the slide "legends" unfortunately.  Did I miss the proper setting?

You click on the "apply to all slides" button after making your changes. This applies the new font and other characteristics to all slides in your current project.  I'm not certain what you mean by "legends?"  Perhaps this is a language thing and "legends" are "comments" in other language translations?  This feature is for "comments"  (in the English version) and that includes the various "templates."  This is not for manually inserted "text" but there is no legitimate reason that I know why you can't use the comments feature for the vast majority of text use because you have the same ability to select "text comment" in the objects list and do with it just as you would with ordinary text. 

Best regards,

Lin

BINGO!  Many thanks, Lin, for the additional explanations.  I have just switched my PTE language to English, which helps my understanding of the tips given in this forum.

I had used this "comment" box in the past (translated as "légende" in French, as you guessed) to add a slide number while in the development phase of a slide show, not as an alternative to the "Text" block.  It is indeed very easy to insert text that way, even several lines of text, with this "comment" feature.  Thanks again; that allows me to have consistent text attributes throughout.  Long live PTE and its team of developers, moderators, users...

Hi,

BE CAREFULL   ! (Unless I'm mistaken)

If you use the comment box to add your texts in several slides, you'll NOT be able to add - thereafter - the slide numbers. If you try to do this, all your texts will be lost, and changed by the slide numbers.

If necessary, I do as jkb does : " to set up a text object once, then copy & paste that object to the other slides "

Jean-Cyprien

Dave, the BIG problem with a style is that it changes slide times to that of the style - which is why I never use them.

Fine if you use it to add text before you make any other changes. But text. Is usually one of the last additions to a sequence, once you have everything else in place. 

If you use a style later in the production process all of your carefully worked out timings could be lost.

Jill

Jill,

As I said they all have pitfalls. You can, with careful planning, incorporate your Text requirement into any other Animation Style that you are using. If the Text Box is a one off, any method will do but for repetitive tasks, I will continue with Styles.

I don't and never have seen the timing problems which seem to bother you.

DG

Dave, interesting that you don't have the problems with timings.

If for instance I make a slide style that is set for 10 secs duration, then any slide I apply that to will have it's duration changed to 10 secs.
This then messes up all my carefully worked out times which fit to the music.

I know that you work with Full Duration? whereas I never do.

Also I haven't made or used any styles since testing the program when they first came out.
Maybe they have changed since then?

But then for me every 2 slide combination is unique & the same effect would work differently with another 2 slide combination.
Therefeore I never need to repeat anything with the use of a Slide Style.

Regards

Jill

This is just one aspect:

when you apply your style you can specify the duration of the resulting slide. So if the slide that you are applying it to is 7.326 seconds you specify that and that is what you get. However, this can affect your transition durations so that has to be taken into account.  I realise that we all don’t work the same way and have no wish to impose my way of working on anyone. But styles are an important part of pte and they DO work for some but not for all. The sort of style we are talking about here is project specific and temporary. If they can help then use them and if not use something else. 

• 8 months later...

Many thanks, Igor, for providing these extra tools that we wished to have sometime.

For the French version you could translate:
"Save/reset font" by "Enregistrer/restaurer la police";
"Save font and use by default" by "Définir cette police comme celle par défaut"
"Reset font to factory defaults" by "Revenir à la police de base du logiciel"

10 hours ago, jmG-06100 said:

Many thanks, Igor, for providing these extra tools that we wished to have sometime.

For the French version you could translate:
"Save/reset font" by "Enregistrer/restaurer la police";
"Save font and use by default" by "Définir cette police comme celle par défaut"
"Reset font to factory defaults" by "Revenir à la police de base du logiciel"

Thanks,

Indeed it's my omission, because I didn't send a new text to Gerard Desroches for the translation. He just sent me a new file for next Beta.