WnSoft Forums

Solution of the problem with laptops with NVIDIA graphics and Windows 10

Igor

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

An image slides onto the screen from the left. Sits there for some time and an author's name appears with the title of the image. The image then moves off screen the the right. The image when at an angle (rotation) seems to break apart. Imagine an image rotated on screen, then the left edge appears broken in the middle and offset. It's hard to explain. We never experienced this with the old Laptop W7 and everything always worked well

Then there are times when the fade onto the screen, particularly from a blank is not very smooth. We only meet once a month and now not until February, but as soon as this Gforce issue was mentioned. I stopped using those styles and made a simpler one. while we waited for a solution.

The files sizes used will all be within 1920*1080 and the laptop is fairly new, W10, SSD and in all other respects fine

I have not been using PTE for several months. Yesterday I launched it, but it didn't work. An error message appears saying that "PictureToExe needs hardware acceleration of video card. Be sure you have DirectX9 or more. We recommend to update or reinstall the drivers of the video card." (the message is in Italian, this is a translation).

If I try to open the exe files that I produced some months ago with PTE, none of them function: the whole screen becomes black and nothing happens.

I have a desktop with Windows 10 Pro automatically updated , DirectX 12, Nvidia GTX 760 with the last driver (12/12/2018), PTE 9.0.21

I have reinstalled both the drivers of the video card and PTE, with no success.

Please let me know if I can do something to get PTE funcioning again.

Thank you

Marco

Hi Marco,

I don't remember any reports about this error many years.

PicturesToExe 9 requires DirectX 9 and DirectX 9 is a basic component of any version of Windows last 12 years.

For some reason DirectX 9 configuration on your computer were corrupt.

I recommend to update Windows 10 to the latest version (v1809, October 2018 Update) which Microsoft is distributing now. It will fix DirectX configuration.

Hi Igor, 

Thank you for your kind answer. I have already updated Win 10 to the 1803 version, I I have checked the DirectX version installed and it is 12. As the motherboard has an Intel video card (HD Graphics 4600), I have tryed to disable the GTX 760: now PTE works with no issue. On the other side, if I disable the HD card and leave only the GTX, PTE doesn't start and the error message appears. So now I think the problem can be in the Nvidia drivers of the GTX 760 Card (thge drivers are the 417.35  dated 12/12/2018).

NVIDIA is currently working on another problem with DirectX 9 on dual mobile graphics in laptops. So it really can be related with NVIDIA drivers. 

You can try to force the update to Windows 10 v1809 right now:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

If you already updated all drivers it can be the only one solution for now.

• 2 months later...

Regrettably not yet.

I suppose that it's a result of a wrong optimization of power consumption in Windows 10 in laptops with dual graphics.

Unlike 3D games PTE doesn't produce high loading of CPU and a video card, thus Windows 10 wrongly reduces speed of a mobile NVIDIA graphics. 

Probably we could "fix" this problem by adding fake (useless) calculations in CPU and video card to force Windows 10 "think" that PTE need all power of mobile NVIDIA card.

I'm really wondered why Microsoft and NVIDIA still didn't fix this problem.

Hi All,

Having been the one who has been in communication with both NVIDIA and subsequently Microsoft on behalf of Igor regarding this ongoing problem we seem to have it a brick wall.

I still have an ongoing complaint open with NVIDIA ..... but they are now not responding to emails  - their last comment on the 11th January was 

'Hello John,
Thanks for your patience.
Due to company rules I am not at liberty to divulge any more details of this investigation. I'm very sorry for the inconvenience.'

I felt that this was not acceptable so I responded by sending this reply:

'We appreciate your efforts however after 7 months of trying to get this problem resolved, the patience is somewhat getting thin. 

Whatever your company rules are, we would suggest and appreciate if this matter is flagged up to senior management and that your PR Department be asked to issue a Press Release acknowledging the problem and advising what steps you are taking to satisfactorily resolve this issue.'

and additionally to the CEO of NVIDIA:

'Dear Sir,

I am not sure if you are the correct contact but six months ago we reported a severe problem which is affecting users of laptops that use NVIDIA GPU’s following the ‘Spring’ 1803 update of Windows 10. 

It is seriously affecting the users of Audio-Visual programs such as Pictures to Exe www.wnsoft.com, Proshow Gold and Proshow Producer and quite a number of gaming packages. We recently heard that it is also affecting DiVinci  Resolve 15  - but of course only on the Windows platform. 

Despite it being escalated in September and subsequently being informed that
NVIDIA Engineering has root caused the problem and is working with Microsoft to address the issue
the problem does not seem to be being resolved within an acceptable time frame.

The bad publicity on the various Forums and in the Press that this problem is causing is certainly not doing NVIDIA and favours in that people are not now purchasing laptops that have NVIDIA cards in them.

We are now told  ‘Due to company rules I am not at liberty to divulge any more details of this investigation’

We would therefore ask why this is the case and that maybe you can arrange for a Press Release to be issued acknowledging the problem and advising what progress, if any, you are making in satisfactorily resolving this issue.   

Your comments would be appreciated.'

I received no response to either!

So I thought about trying Microsoft:

'Dear Sirs,

We have twice tried to email the UK PR team ukprteam@microsoft.com  but have not had the courtesy of a response.

This is the email as sent on the 12th January and resent on the 24th.

It would appear that both Microsoft UK and Nvidia do not seem prepared to advise their users worldwide of what progress, if any, they have made it resolving this problem.

WHY?

Your comments please.'

This is the email as sent on the 12th January and resent on the 24th.

Dear Sirs,

I am not sure if this is the correct contact address to resolve this problem – if not, can you kindly forward it to the correct department.

We have been in contact with NVIDIA for the past 7 months trying to resolve a severe problem which is worldwide affecting users of laptops that use NVIDIA GPU’s following the ‘Spring’ 1803 update of the Windows 10 platform.

It is seriously affecting the users of Audio-Visual programs such as Pictures to Exe produced by Wnsoft.com, Proshow Gold, Proshow Producer and quite a number of gaming packages. We recently heard that it is also affecting DiVinci  Resolve 15  - but of course only on the Windows platform.

Despite it being escalated to the NVIDIA Level 2 team in September and subsequently being informed that ‘NVIDIA Engineering has root caused the problem and is working with Microsoft to address the issue’
the problem does not seem to be being resolved within an acceptable time frame.

The bad publicity on the various Forums and in the Press that this problem is causing is certainly not doing either Microsoft or NVIDIA and favours and people have been advised not to update their Windows platform to 1803.

The correspondence and technical details relating to this matter can be found below.

We would therefore ask, are Microsoft, as we have been advised, actively in conversations with NVIDIA regarding this problem. If so, maybe you can arrange for a Microsoft Press Release to be issued acknowledging the problem and advising what progress, if any, you are making in satisfactorily resolving this issue. 

Your comments would be appreciated.

No Reply received!!

So on the 13th February I sent the following to Microsoft:

Dear Sirs,

Despite receiving an automated response stating that 'your email is important to us and we aim to respond as soon as possible'  it is now over a week since our email was sent to you and we have heard nothing since.

There seems to be a definite reticence on the part of both Microsoft and Nvidia to advise of the cause of the problem and what steps, if any, are being taken to resolve this problem for the millions of users of both companies' products.

Maybe the time has come to make the news of this ongoing problem which has been reported since last May, more widespread amongst our media colleagues.

We await your considered response within an acceptable time frame.'

So that is where we are - I am still pursuing this but would suggest that maybe everybody needs to make both Microsoft and NVIDIA aware in no uncertain terms that it is a widespread problem and that, since the 1803 Spring update, this has become a serious problem and they both seem unwilling/unable to resolve.

I will keep you informed of any progress.

John

Please note: I was on the Forum for many years as 'Big Kev' but I have now had to re subscribe ......so now I am to be known as 'Big John' !!!

Hello Igor and John
A big thank you for your complete answers and the trouble you are giving yourself for information on the progress of NVIDIA and MICROSOFT's resolution of these issues.
Indeed it seems that these two companies do not care about our concerns.

John,

Many thanks for all your efforts to help me and other PTE members to solve this problem! I very appreciate it. It's sad that NVIDIA and/or Microsoft work so slow on this issue. Especially if remember that this problem affects at least 2 software products - PTE and Proshow.

P.S. I can recover access to your original forum profile if neccessary.

It's a pleasure - just very annoying when you think you are getting somewhere - and then the clam up rather than them admitting they have a problem which they seem unable to resolve.
I am presently trying to get more media outlets interested in running the story ......maybe they might have more success in stirring them up!

Regarding my lost profile - I don't mind being Big John as John is my name......and I am now a 'new member' so people will be kind to me :-)

I have been following this topic for a while now as I have been considering buying a laptop with nVidea graphics but I am being a bit put off considering the problems being discussed on this forum.

Are nVidea graphics cards (assuming this problem gets resolved) the best or even recommended graphics cards for P2E or are Raedon graphics cards suitable and if so has anyone noticed any problems with these.

Gogs

Gogs,

Laptops for gamers with single NVIDIA video card (for example, Geforce 1060) do NOT have this problem.
Advice: you can use Device Manager in a computer shop to check Video card tab to see if it really has only single video card (no Intel graphics).

Usually all other laptops with Geforce 1050, 1030, 920M, or other Geforce models have dual graphics: NVIDIA + Intel. These laptops with Windows 10 are affected by this problem. 

All laptops with AMD graphics are NOT affected. Just I recommend to choose powerful models with fast graphics, and if it possible check EXE shows or PTE in such laptop before you purchase it.

All desktop computers (NVIDIA or AMD) are NOT affected. My personal choice.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't see much improvement. My notebook still behaves as described here (fully updated version of Windows 10, Nvidia 419.35).

My impression: The performance of PTE shows on the notebook's own monitor while using the Nvidia driver is poor.

Igor, 

I will check BUT any update would have come from HP, the makers of the Laptop.

I believe that the drivers are "modified" by HP in some way and that the NVidia Drivers do not apply.

When it is working correctly, as it is now, it is a "high end" gaming Laptop, but if I ever update it I will not buy another HP Laptop. I would probably get one from Chillblast who supplied my Desktop PC.

DG

Dave,

Thanks,

Please remind me also exact names of your NVIDIA and Intel cards.

Did you try to run PTE shows two ways - by selecting Intel or fast NVIDIA graphics from a popup menu for an EXE file in Windows Explorer? And NVIDIA variant worked faster (smoother) than Intel, right?