WnSoft Forums

Poor performance under Win10 (v1803) on laptops with dual NVIDIA graphics

chanfi22

My Windows 10 laptop with dual graphics card is still giving me exception errors on only some PTE exe files made by others with PTE8 and older, irrespective of whether or not I manually select the graphics card or run as Administrator.

Exception EAccessViolation in module "filename.exe" at 0012B631

Access violation at address 0052B631 in module "file path". Read of address 00000080.

I have two productions only giving me theis error and the error is exactly the same except for the file name of course.

I have tried adding PTE to the Data Prevention Execution exception as suggested by some on the internet, but this had no effect so I reverted to the standard setting.

I have uninstalled Avast and now rely on Windows Defender and MalwareBytes although the latter is only run selectively.

The same files play without a problem on other laptop or PC which have older Windows systems (not Win 10).

Any suggestions?

Roel

Hi Roel,

This problem was described recently here. For some reason certain laptops with NVIDIA graphics crash in EXE shows and PTE under Windows 10 April 2018 update (version 1803).

We found a solution in PTE 9.0.17 (or later), or PTE 8.0.23 (can be downloaded from WnSoft website).

I recommend you 2 possible solutions:

1. You can ask authors to re-build EXE files with new versions of PTE 8.0.23 or PTE 9.0.19

2. Or you can run these EXE shows on Intel graphics (select an EXE file in Windows Explorer, call the popup menu, and choose run EXE file on Intel integrated graphics). With Intel graphics this problem doesn't occur.

Anyway, laptops with NVIDIA graphics demonstrate poor performance under Windows 10 April 2018 update, and Intel graphics works better. PTE since v9.0.18 uses Intel graphics by default on such laptops.

P.S. Did you receive my reply by email which I sent you 3 days ago?

I now found the following strange behaviour.

When you right click on the file, it gives Intel as the default graphix player

Then as you said, when Intel is selected the AV will run. If Nvidia is delected AND when you just click to open, you get the exception error. That is confusing.

Both files are now playing and we can thus treat the case as resolved finally.

22 minutes ago, Roel said:

I now found the following strange behaviour.

When you right click on the file, it gives Intel as the default graphix player
Then as you said, when Intel is selected the AV will run. If Nvidia is delected AND when you just click to open, you get the exception error. That is confusing.
Both files are now playing and we can thus treat the case as resolved finally.

Greetings Roel,

Your posting was timely, for me. I have been following the '1803' problem. But I could not install the '1803' update until yesterday. Just could not get it to install for a long time. Maybe I was too impatient but I let it run for a long time and finally, all the Windows updates were installed, including the '1803'.

So I am able to experience the exception error when trying to play the exe with the NVidia display adapter, if selected.

On my laptop, I never noticed that if I right-click on the PTE exe file, I can get 'Run with graphics adapter' and it lets me choose between my 'Intel 4600' and my 'NVidia Geforce GT 740m' display adapter. Choosing the Intel 4600, no  problem; choosing the Nvidia, I get the exception error.

As stated before, the  desktops don't seem to have this problem. I checked and my desktop only has the NVidia GeForce GTX 1070, but no Intel 4600.

And, yes, if I re-Publish the exe that was made in an earlier PTE version with the latest 19.9 version, it will now play with the NVidia display adapter. :)

So thanks for shedding light on this problem and I finally see what is going on.

Gary

Roel,

That's correct. NVIDIA option will give the error message if you run any EXE show created before PTE 9.0.17 or before PTE 8.0.23. I'm sorry, buy we can't do anything with this. You need to re-build EXE files in the new PTE, or run shows using Intel option.

Probably future NVIDIA drivers will fix it for old EXE shows for laptops.

• 7 months later...

Hi There

I hope I am not way off on this topic . I have a PC with windows 10 which I have recently updated to version 1809 ( OS Build 17763.404 ) and then a few days later there was another update to version 1809 ( OS Build 17763. 437 ) . Both of these updates were mainly Bug Fixers ) and in both updates went back to early update Windows 7 , Windows 8 right up to the latest version . I found they worked fine with my programs including PTE 9.22 . I also found out  the Windows update which should have been released in April as now moved to May .

Michael