WnSoft Forums

Newbie wants to put up an AV for Crit!!

Rose Douglas

Hi there,

i have just joined this forum and would like to post a couple of AV's here for constructive criticism. Am I able to do so? I tried with the download but it is asking for JPeg files??? can some body please point me in the right direction.

Many thx,

Rose

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Rose,

There are a couple ways to proceed. If your show is in EXE or Mac executable format you can either post it to http://www.slideshowclub.com or you can post it to your own website if your have one. To post a Windows exe file it's first necessary to zip it using any common zip program. If you are using Windows there is one as part of the operating system. Mac output can automatically be in the zip format when you create the zip file.  If your shows are in video format, you can upload them to YouTube or Vimeo and post a link here or you can zip the video and put it on your own website or use something like drop-box or other file sharing service and provide a link for people here to download.

If you need further help, just let us know and we will try to help you get started...

Best regards,

Lin

• 6 months later...

We live in a world where offence taking has become an art or should I say an obsession for some.  My guess is that people (and me) will not say what we really think, because we could be on a hiding to nothing.

Safer to stay away from anything controversial. 

Hi 

For me, if I post an AV in the slideshow club, I hope to have positive comments or comments with the opinion on how to improve it (not rude criticism), I can take these observations or not, but they will always teach me something.
For example, I placed two weeks ago, my Christmas work "Christmas Collage" and I would have liked to have a comment. Any comment,

In other forums, the project can be placed as a final work or for revision, in two different subgroups.

MUR

How many feel that a sub-group titled "Work In Progress" for criticism and/or suggestions might be a worthwhile suggestion for Igor??

Such shows would need to be uploaded to a hosting site and linked for download.

We already have the ability to post/embed completed shows here or in Slideshowclub. 

However, as Barry suggested above any comments should be polite and helpful. 

DG

9 hours ago, davegee said:

How many feel that a sub-group titled "Work In Progress" for criticism and/or suggestions might be a worthwhile suggestion for Igor??

Such shows would need to be uploaded to a hosting site and linked for download.

We already have the ability to post/embed completed shows here or in Slideshowclub. 

However, as Barry suggested above any comments should be polite and helpful. 

DG

Personally I don't see the need for a separate section Dave. I think most people will appreciate honest feedback on any work they post.

35 minutes ago, Bizz1963 said:

Personally I don't see the need for a separate section Dave. I think most people will appreciate honest feedback on any work they post.

I picked up on MUR's suggestion based on what other PTE Forums are doing. It seems to work quite well for them - Maybe Tonton or J-C might comment on how well it works.

DG

On 12/26/2018 at 1:07 PM, Bizz1963 said:

That is any of the shows, not just mine.

Anybody that is/has been married knows that art (colors, textures, images,...) is subjective. My wife has a saying she repeats to me often. "A happy wife is a happy life". So I try to stay away from negative comments to avoid future conflict in my personal and social life. I know some people who love drama and thrive on that stuff.

As far as my personal slideshows they are just animations. Nothing good enough to post the .exe to a gallery and I rarely visit slideshowclub to download slideshows. I would rather watch a slideshow video.

Tom

I suspect the reason why there are not lots of comments on our shows in Slideshow Club may have to do with the rather wide difference and diversity of reasons in both why and how PTE is used. There are a small core of users whose main interest is in AV competitions. This group is sensitive to the nuances of their slideshows telling a story. To this group the dynamics of audio background music  matching the theme and synchronizing images carefully to the tempo and beat of the background is very important. Then there is a larger group of users who just want to display their photography with some nice background music but who have no real interest in competition or learning the nuances of AV creation. Then yet another group who love animation and special effects and take joy in the fact that PTE provides amazing ways to animate. In addition, we have users who primarily produce shows for family and friends and who like to mix video and still images to just share with relatives and friends with no specific purpose.

So we have nature, landscape and wildlife photographers, wedding photographers, AVI competitors, animations lovers and social users all sharing a love for a product which allows each to do their own thing as it were. When one attempts to critique a show on a public forum, it become difficult to avoid stepping on toes and hurting feelings no matter how well intentioned one's motives. If an AV competition expert were to look at one of my shows they probably would be appalled at the relative indifference to background music beat matching and synchronization they would see. On the other hand should someone interested in animation watch the same show they might find things of interest while the family/social user might yawn and say to themself - "big deal?"  The bottom line is that as Tom mentions, staying away from negative comments has its advantages. Not knowing the purpose and intent of the presenter makes it difficult to know what to say, so those seriously looking for a critique should say what their intent is and ask for suggestions for improving that expressed intent might be. 

It's not a simple thing because unless the audience understands the intent, it makes it very difficult to comment constructively. So without an "engraved invitation" to critique the work, most just say something nice or nothing at all. Having a section of the forum for critique would not be a bad thing in my opinion, but it probably would serve only a small portion of the users.

Best regards,

Lin

Scots, that is possible in some cases, in others it isn't a working solution. Some highly animated shows do not play well with video so to see them properly takes an executable format. Some which use interactive features available to PTE can't use these features as a video so both executable and video are necessary components of Slideshow Club.

Best regards,

Lin

1 hour ago, scots_quine said:

Personally I find the whole 'download, run and delete' bit of the SlideshowClub just too clunky and slow and it really puts me off looking at very many.  I would much prefer to just quickly click on a YouTube link.

Tell me about it. There's me thinking the whole point of an "exe" file was that you just clicked on it and it played.

59 minutes ago, Lin Evans said:

Scots, that is possible in some cases, in others it isn't a working solution. Some highly animated shows do not play well with video so to see them properly takes an executable format. Some which use interactive features available to PTE can't use these features as a video so both executable and video are necessary components of Slideshow Club.

Best regards,

Lin

HI LIn

I am not quite understanding this. I thought that the MP4 format which is what can be posted to YouTube supported all components of PTE. 

Lots of people who use PTE in academia make interactive shows. The exact numbers are not readily available, but many I know personally do. As a former university professor, I used PTE exclusively to make interactive shows myself. Of course people who deal primarily with AV competition and such generally do not, but the point is that a service like Slideshow Club caters to all users including those who use it for different purposes.

Best regards,

Lin

1. I think the comments section of slideshows should not be for criticism.  Forums like this should be. 

2. Criticism can be arrogant, condescending, or gentle and respectful and say the same thing.  Choose kindly.

3. I couldn't care less what anyone but my client thinks of my slideshow, but we can all learn from newbie to pro.

42 minutes ago, wideangle said:

Hello everybody,

Maybe an unwritten rule should be:

Don’t offer criticism unless the submitter specifically REQUESTS it.

Regards

wideangle

I think it should be the exact opposite. Critiques should be expected unless you specifically request that you don't want them (why that would be is a mystery to me but it takes all sorts).

7 hours ago, JudyKay said:

1. I think the comments section of slideshows should not be for criticism.  Forums like this should be. 

2. Criticism can be arrogant, condescending, or gentle and respectful and say the same thing.  Choose kindly.

3. I couldn't care less what anyone but my client thinks of my slideshow, but we can all learn from newbie to pro.

Why should criticisms only be posted on forums like this, rather than directly on the Slideshowclub website?

Drives me to distraction how people who post images or AVs take criticism personally. Most often I find it isn't the person who posted the thing in the first place who attacks you for daring to think that it isn't amazing. Strangely enough it is usually a woman who takes exception.

It does puzzle me why anyone would post any media if they don't care what anyone else thinks about it but I guess we are all different.