WnSoft Forums

Watch Styles

Back in the PTE 6 area several of us were making watches which kept time. Panos FX had created a great Photoshop action which created a nice watch face and theDom and I were playing with different aspects of that. Panos' action for this was free, but not for commercial use so I decided to download an image of an old watch face which was copyright free and could be used for both private and commercial use with no royalties, etc., to make a watch. When Dave reminded me by posting a nice style for an analogue watch hand, I thought maybe some would like a watch face with a moving sweep second hand, a moving minute hand and audible clicks each second. Here's the little style for you to play with and a brief tutorial showing how it works.

If you want to get rid of the band and just see the circular watch, just select the content beneath the "Frame" then "Cut" and add a circular templated mask under the frame then paste the clipboard content into the mask and adjust so that only the watch circle is visible. The sample picture has the watch face in a circular mask - with PTE 9 you may have to adjust the size of the watch face by selecting it in the circle mask. For some reason the size is slightly changed - not a problem with version 8. No big deal, just select the watch face and drag the corner to get the size of the face to match the hands. You may adjust the size and position and rotation of the watch with the controlling frame. If you want to change the color with version 9, select everything within the controlling frame then apply color filters as desired. Sepia makes a nice antique look for example. Sound works fine in Preview & Exe - doesn't work in video. Sent to Igor for Analysis. Meanwhile if you like this style and want to use it in a video with the sound, email me and I'll quickly help you solve that problem. 

The sound will work fine with video on both these when version 9.0.20 is released in a short time...

The second style (Lin's Watch 2.ptestyle) is a plain white face clock - very simple face...

data2@lpbroadband.net

Best regards,

Lin

Lin's Watch.ptestyle

sample.jpg

Lin's Watch 2.ptestyle

Thanks so much for this Lin, a great amount of work to make this.

Really appreciate it. So glad your speech is coming back, sounds really good!

Looking forward to more tutorials from you.

Take care of yourself,

Kieron

You're welcome Nelson - yes, slowly. If I hadn't had the heavy TIA on the 4th I think it (my speech) was improving. Now I'm noticing that early in the morning it's much better than later and in the evening. Hopefully it will continue to improve. Thanks for the reply!

Best regards,

Lin

Hi Dave,

Yes, the modifier angle shift and number of repeats is much easier than multiple keyframes and is a very nice time saver, especially if everything as far as the clock face is made precisely so that each division lands the second hand at precisely the correct position vis the indications.

The reason I used keyframes in the little samples was because I wanted one style to work for both version 8 and version 9. Years ago when JPD was creating some amazing animations, he used excel to very quickly create the keyframe values. I've never really had the skills with Excel so have to do the old way. 

I remember when we first made the clocks and were playing with the sweep second hand we only used two keyframes also which, of course, rotates the sweep second hand 360 degrees in 60 seconds but the movement is continuous with no stop. Then someone wanted "click stops" and synchronized sound - LOL. I complained and said that a "smooth" motion worked like my Rolex but if it was to be Timex so we had to hold the position with the extra keyframe each second. Actually my Rolex makes eight tiny "beats" per second but they are so small that it appears to be a continuous motion. 

PTE 9 offers some amazing feature for sure..

Best regards,

Lin