WnSoft Forums

(Sort Of Solved)Wnsoft.com Down...

Lin Evans

Wow, must be something between my ISP and the wnsoft server. This is what I've gotten since 6:00 am this morning - it's 850 pm now....  O.K., It's still down using Chrome, but works fine with Mozilla - go figure !!!!

Lin

wnsoft.jpg

Lin, 

I moved wnsoft.com to a new server 3 days ago.

Usually any changes in DNS records take 5-10 hours (up to 48 hours).

Try to press Ctrl+F5 to refresh web page.

Or type in a command line: 

ipconfig /flushdns

If it does not help, restart Windows.

Hi Igor,

I suspect that it's a Chrome problem on my XP. Chrome no longer supports the XP system. I cold booted Windows (shut down power and restarted) and also flushed buffers and no luck. Wnsoft.com just can't be found on my Chrome browser on the XP any more. It worked fine about a week ago. However, on the same XP system Wnsoft.com runs just fine with Mozilla and also works with both Chrome and Mozilla on my Win 8.1 system. Not a problem - I'll just not use Chrome when trying to access wnsoft.com. No problem at all accessing picturestoexe.com... I will let you know when and if there is a change...

Best regards,

Lin

You can check what IP address your operating system is using for wnsoft.com compared to the DNS servers. Get the IP address from one of the sites below and then open a cmd window and ping wnsoft.com.

https://viewdns.info/propagation/

https://www.whatsmydns.net/

C:\Users\Tom>ping wnsoft.com

Pinging wnsoft.com [92.222.74.42] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 92.222.74.42: bytes=32 time=174ms TTL=49
Reply from 92.222.74.42: bytes=32 time=174ms TTL=49

Ping statistics for 92.222.74.42:
    Packets: Sent = 2, Received = 2, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 174ms, Maximum = 174ms, Average = 174ms
Control-C
^C
C:\Users\Tom>

Tom

Hi Tom,

I don't think it matters since I can reach wnsoft from the same computer on Mozilla, but not on Chrome. A check reveals that only two places currently have not yet received the change in the wnsoft server location and neither are on the "ping" path from heredns.thumb.jpg.27e0e0f13c08de75d268031c0110314e.jpg:

Hi Igor,

Perhaps it has something to do with the fact that Chrome stopped supporting XP .  With my other system - the Win 8.1, I have no problem reaching the new location of wnsoft. I'll do some research and see if there is a way to dump the Chrome cache - perhaps even reinstall Chrome. It really isn't important for me, but perhaps if this is an issue for others who also are using an old XP with Chrome might not be able to find Wnsoft. 

I just discovered it by accident. I had a friend visiting from out of state and I was showing her PicturesToExe and she was considering buying it for her daughter-in-law for her upcoming birthday. When I tried to reach wnsoft, I received the error message and I didn't think of trying Mozilla because I just assumed wnsoft was down for some reason. This was early in the morning. But when I tried again about 12 hours later I posted the original message above. Then I tried my other computer and Mozilla and it worked fine with them. After trying a refresh which didn't work and a cold boot which didn't help I just assumed it to be a Chrome problem.

Best regards,

Lin 

Hi Lin,

Haven't used XP in a few years, but it was a good stable operating system. I started out using CP/M, then DOS, Windows 3, Windows 95, ... My CPU started with 8088, 286, 386,486,Pentium,... My next CPU I think is going to be AMD Ryzen.

Maybe do a reset to default in Chrome.

https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/3296214?hl=en

Tom

Hi Tom,

I did that and it didn't change anything.  My XP system is my favorite. I have computers with XP, Win 7 Pro, Win 8 and Win 8.1 and XP is by far my favorite because there is still the ability to get to the meat and potatoes of the system. Like you I began with CP/M and CP/M 86 with Kaypro and Osborn. At the University where I taught I also used Apple  II with Apple DOS 3.3. When I left the university to open my software development company I was working with an 8088 which I built myself from components from Taiwan with DOS and over the years progressively went through all the Windows operating systems except Vista which I skipped. I have also refused to install Win 10 on anything and if I ever put another system together, it won't have Win 10 - there have just been way too many issues with compatibility for me there. I realize that everyone has pretty much abandoned Win XP because the newer systems can support much more. I will be really happy with PTE supports 64 bit but of course it's a challenge then to have backward compatibility. Technology moves at such a rapid rate today, a system is technically obsolete long before it's functionally obsolete. Every once in a while I still get out my old Kaypro 4/84 and play with it. Back in those days I also had a dedicated word processor made by Systel. I used to make some pretty good bucks creating dBASE II, VisiCalc and other discs for other owners of Systel systems who didn't realize that their dedicated word processors were actually good little CMP computers which lacked only properly formatted discs to give them the same features available on the "real" CPM computers. I still have the Systel system which was a gift to me when I was still in college from my mother who sold them where she worked. I think the Systel was over $5200 back in the early 80's. It used an electric Olympus typewriter as the keyboard which also served as the printer. Things have sure changed over the years... LOL

Best regards,

Lin