WnSoft Forums

Move to new computer

ChrisHowes

I have a slideshow prepared on a desktop but need to move it to a laptop, so I can refine it while travelling. The program is installed, no problem. But when I transfer the project as a whole (the ,pte and the folders with the images), all the links are broken and the slideshow is impossible to work on.

The same structure of folders is there, but the drive letter is different. I can't do anything about that - the drive letter doesn't exist. There seems to be no 'relink' facility.

Is it not possible to move the whole project to a new location; the address for each file seems to be hard wired to the original, not relative to the .pte.

Hi Chris, you have to save the project as either a Template or Backup zip to move it to a different computer.

If you have version 9 it should allow you to relink all the files, but older versions didn't.

Look under the file menu for the manage template or the back up zip options.

Jill

Many thanks for that hint. The backup method worked (though it does just collect all the images together with the .pte, rather than keeping my folder structure). I do have the latest update to v9, by the way, but I couldn't fine any means of relinking the files ... just got a series of blanks with error messages, and replacing one with the same image that it should have linked with, only affected that one (the rest in the same folder remained as errors). But at least I'm up and running again

When you open a project with PTE9 that has missing files - ie the path name has changed - you should get a window opening that allows you to search for the files

MissingFromZip.JPG.dc248f13724f56ab3ca973ed69eea5d4.JPG

It should list all the images & audio files that are missing.

Click on the dot next to one of the missing files & then on Find Selected File & navigate to where the the file now is.

If all the missing files are located in the same folder it should find them all.
You need to repeat the 'Find Selected File' for each one it doesn't find BEFORE clicking on OK.

If all the folder structure is the same & it is just the Drive letter that is different then another option is to open the .pte file in a text editor such as Notepad or Word

Do a Find & Replace to change the Drive letter on all the images & sounds. EG find C:\ & replace with E:\ or whatever then save the .pte file with a new name (just in case!!)

Jill

Editing the .pte would be a whole lot better, as it retains the folder structure. I'll try that next.

I did see that list of errors, one for every file, but finding one didn't then find all the others in the same folder. It looked like I would have to do every one individually.

Thnks for the help