WnSoft Forums

error backup

pere

version 20
When creating backup and decompressing, the location of the files is from where the backup was generated, when it would have to be the destination folder that we have assigned.

I create a backup in folder "A" I decompress the backup in folder "b" I delete files and I open the file PTE does not detect that I have deleted them or because it looks for its location in folder "A"

Could you explain in more detail. Were you using the Create Backup in Zip feature? Backup in zip creates a zip archive containing all files necessary to run the original PTE file. If you unzip all files in a new folder, it's not necessary for PTE to know where the files originally were located. 

If you use the "Backup in Zip" feature. It doesn't matter which drive or folder the files are unzipped in. Whichever folder they are unzipped (decompressed) in will be where PTE when opened will look and find these files. If you use some other zip program it will not work that way, you must use the internal Create Backup in Zip for this to work otherwise the PTE program will look for the files in their original folders.

Best regards,

Lin

There is a simple workaround. Assume having a project where the project file and all media are in folder A. Then copy the contents of A to some other folder B. If you now open the project file in B, PTE still uses the media from folder A :(. Close the project again. Then give folder A a new name (just for a moment). Then open the project file in folder B again, and save the project via the file menu. Rename A to its original name. The path B's project file will now point to the media in B :).

Hi Pere,

Why would you delete the file Koala from the newfolder???  When the backup in zip file is made with PTE - it assumes that when files are decompressed into a new folder, all files contained in the zip (which are necessary to run the PTE program) will be resident in the new folder. When you remove one of them, then that leaves the PTE file and program expecting to find ALL FILES and unable to find the one you deleted. Naturally it will then not work as expected.

what.jpg

This has been tested thoroughly thousands of times. I can create a backup in zip then move that zip file to a totally different computer system in a totally new folder then decompress and open the PTE file with the program and everything works as expected. This happens EVERY time without fail on all my different systems from Win XP to Win 7.0 to Win 8.1. 

Best regards,

Lin

Hi Pere,

the main difference between the "normal" .pte and the .pte creating with Backup in Zip and decompressing is the order where it look for the files .

Opening the "normal" pte file, it look for the files with the path written in the pte file, and if it doesn't find it then it look for file in the  directory of the .pte file.

Opening the .pte file from decompressing the Zip does exactly the inverse search: first it search in the directory of the .pte file and if it doesn't find the file, it look at the complete path in the .pte file.

This is simplified: if it doesn't find file, it can look elsewhere.

Denis

Hello Pere

You should first use PTE to create your backup by:        PTE -> File -> Create Backup in Zip.

You can then place that Backup file wherever you wish, and then you can unzip it with whatever program you like to use.

All should work as you expect it to.

Regards

wideangle