WnSoft Forums

Backup to Zip issue

Barry Beckham

This is for information only. I did a demo at a camera club last night and a user of PTE told me how he always makes a BIZ of his shows under construction. He said that a show he was making played perfectly and a BIZ could be created, but with one project the Zipped folder could not be opened by windows, even when taken to a different computer.

I suggested that perhaps there was something wrong with an image or sound file that PTE didn't have a problem with, but windows when unzipping did. He said that this happened many times despite a re-installing PTE, but eventually the issue cleared itself. (which tends to suggest the issue is with that one project. The error message just says This Compressed zipped Folder (name of folder) is invalid.

I think the issue lies with the content of the slide show rather than PTE, but I suppose that cannot be certain. Jpgs don’t usually give much trouble, so my best guess is a sound file problem. Some corruption that PTE coped with but Windows Zip did not. 

Hi Barry, I recently tried to make a BIZ and PTE gave a message that there were files used with non standard characters. The zip could be made but windows wouldn't be able to open it and to use another program such as 7zip.

Could this be the problem?

I just renamed the offending file to have all standard characters. PTE was then happy and the zip file could be opened normally.

Jill

A "Backup In Zip" is a Template in a Zipped Folder.

If the "Backup" is for your own system and is not going to be sent to someone via an Internet Upload then why Zip it?

Create a Template via File/Templates and the resulting folder can be transferred to another PC without the need for Zipping and all of the potential for problems that goes with it.

DG

Jill

In the case of the guy I met, he is quite an experienced user of PTE, but he didn’t have any issues with the show he was making or in making the BIZ. It was only unzipping in Windows where things went wrong.

Its probably one of those computer issues where it’s a one off perhaps and may never be repeated

Hi Barry

As I said earlier, that was my issue as well. Just wondered what happens if he tries Winzip to retrieve it, because that worked for me.

My feeling at the time was that it was something odd in the process of creating the zip for that particular project by Pte, because the resulting zipped file could be unzipped by certain software but not others.

At the time I couldn’t establish anything further in order to pursue it.

Regards

wideangle

I’ve never quite understood what advantages there are in paying to win zip when it’s built into Windows. Never has any reason personally to investigate. The standard zip in Windows has always met my needs, but I’ll be seeing the guy in a couple of weeks so I’ll make the suggestion

• 2 weeks later...

In theory this issue may happens due to non-latin symbols in names of files used in a project. PTE should warn about it when you create a backup in a ZIP. Windows XP may have difficulties with unzipping such archive.

However all modern ZIP utilities should be able to unpack such ZIP archives. Also unzip tool in Windows 8/10 always should work fine.