WnSoft Forums

Installed Windows update 1809

tom95521

The Windows 10 v1809 update has just finally automatically installed on my computer as part of the rollout.

I've just come across a very interesting article written online by Michael Fortin, Corporate Vice President of Windows (see following link):

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2018/12/10/windows-monthly-security-and-quality-updates-overview/#Vbxa9qtTjGyGYxKQ.97

Basically it is saying that the regular automatic security updates and new tools are released on the second Tuesday of the month (called Patch Tuesday and called B updates).

More interestingly, it is referring to the C and D updates which are those released in the third and fourth weeks of the month. These include features which are still being tested, but, unlike the B updates, these will not be installed automatically.

What it does mean though, is that if you are one of these people who are chomping at the bit to always have the latest update, and go into Windows Update and click on the "Check for Updates" button, then you are in effect maybe unintentionally installing preview versions of the operating system and acting as a beta tester for Microsoft!

The moral of this story is "Don't click on Check for Updates in weeks 3 and 4 of the month"!

Regards

wideangle

I am one of those beta testers. I really enjoy testing software. Which is strange because in the rest of my life I am always analyzing risk and avoiding as much as possible. I don't mind risking my computer's health but not my own.

Tom

• 4 months later...
On 12/3/2018 at 2:19 AM, Igor Kokarev said:

We checked Windows 10 v1809 update. The problem with a slow performance on mobile dual NVIDIA + Intel graphics is NOT solved yet.

Avoid the update to v1803 or 1809 as long as possible.

We're still waiting the solution from NVIDIA after their confirmation of this problem.

Has there been any update on this issue? Will version 10 still be affected?

Thanks so much,

Kieron

• 2 weeks later...

Hi There

As a matter of intrest I started the windows 10 version 1903 upgrade two days ago at 11.19 in the evening and it finished at 4.28 the following morning , The only interaction I had with the program while it was setting up was the start icon and at the end when I had to put my password in . The first program I tried was the new version of PTE 10 ,every thing was fine .

Michael