WnSoft Forums

mixing video and slides and text

scoutdubna

First, you need to learn to split your video into "sections" along the Timeline.

Add the video to the slide list and adjust its duration as required.

Then, in Objects and Animation / Properties change "Single Video Clip" to "Master Video Track".

Add the Video Clip again and this time set its properties to "Link to (the Master Video Track)" and set a duration as required.

Do this as many times as you require.

The result is that the Video will play seamlessly over the number of slides you have created.

You can then add images and/or text to the individual slides in Objects and Animation. Durations of the slides can be adjusted at any time.

As Dave says. Also, if you go ahead and put all your image in subsequent slides before creating additional slides with the video, you don't need to set the properties to "Link to Master Video Track" - just copy the original "Master Video Track" and paste to subsequent slides and the video will automatically be set to "Link To Master Video Track."  You will have to change the layer of the slides so that they fall on the top layer and adjust the image sizes so you can see the video running in the background.

Lin

Chris, here is a quick video tutorial.  Please excuse my voice - still recovering from a stroke and my speech is still not normal... Also, had I set the proper size on the first instance (the Master Video) I would not have had to do it for each one - it would have been copied correctly...

Lin

There really isn't a "simple" way to do it in PTE because PTE isn't a video editor. In the "conversion" process you have the ability to set the start and stop time so you "COULD" do it by duplicating this process as many times as necessary, but frankly it is best done with a dedicated video editor. 

Best regards,

Lin

Hello Lin,

I am thrilled that your voice has come back as far as it has. It sounds great to me!

Take care of yourself, you are a valuable asset to this forum and I revert to your videos all the time.

Kieron

• 4 weeks later...

Hello all. I have just tried this and followed the video to the letter I think but I cannot get the video on the first slide to start 5 seconds into the slide showing up. I have tried putting lots of different numbers into the 'Start time' and/or 'Offset ' boxes and the video still starts as soon as the slide starts. I CAN get it to work ie video pauses for 5 seconds, when I only have the video as the only slide, by putting 5 into the 'Offset ' box.

What am I doing wrong? 

Hi Scots,

It sound like what you are trying to do is have a slide display before that slide has video as a background. By design, a slide background begins with the slide so in order to have the image display before the background begins, just place the image itself as a first slide with the time set for the number of seconds you want it to display. In your description that would be five seconds. Just make your show, leave the defaults of Offset and Start time, then add the first image on the slide list as a duplicate and set the transition either as a quick fade or quit transition (don't copy paste because you don't want the video involved - insert the same first image from the selection). This should produce what you want.

Best regards,

Lin

No, I do want the very first slide to have the video as a still in the background with the 'picture' over the top. And then, after 5 secs, the 'picture' to remain as is, but the video starts playing. And then after a suitable time lapse, the next slide will start but it, of course, will have the video playing as soon as the slide appears. 

As I said, if the video is on its own on the slide, I can get it to remain still for the first 5 secs by using the Offset, and then start playing, but as soon as I add an image on top of it, it starts playing right away. 

Thought perhaps it had something to do with the 'Main object'  box being ticked but have now started from scratch and it is all now working as I expect. Stranger and stranger! 

Just got it sussed - at last!

If I change the video to 'Master' and then try to put the Offset time in, it doesn't work - the video starts straight away. If I put the Offset time in  while it is still 'single video', and then change it to Master, it works perfectly!! Hurrah!! Surprised no-one has found out that little foible before now...……….

Good you got it worked out. It's an unusual situation. Most who use video as a background do not want the video as a still image but to begin as a video background. You could also just shoot a screen copy still of the video and use it as the background for image one and the master video and linked background video for the other images. There are multiple ways of getting a solution. But to give proper advice, it's necessary to know precisely what you want to achieve. It works as it was intended. Backgrounds whether video or stills begin with and persist with the slide timing. When you want a video in the background to act like an independent second layer object in Objects and Animations then you use it as a single video clip. So doing it the way you did works but it's not a glitch in PTE, it's just a work-around to achieve a desired effect which is a rather unusual occurrence .

Best regards,

Lin