WnSoft Forums

Anyone See The Significance Here?

Lin Evans

Just a quick sample of something perhaps useful.... Couple things  -  Of course the obvious is the use of the modifier capability to swing the ball - the other is a pseudo of something I hope to see in future versions of PTE... Let me know if you see it...

Best regards,

Lin

\

Hi Lin,

Do you mean changing the Z order of objects like the ball?

I know in the past there was a suggestion to allow changes to layer order at keyframes.

Hi Tom,

Close.  Actually, the ball and string stay on the same layer, but the blue window with the slit in the top occupies two layers. Too complex to try to change the order of the ball and string because of the modifier used for the oscillation, but the blue window object changes from one object to a split object as it is rotated 45 degrees.The left half is on top of the ball/string while the right half is beneath.

Best regards,

Lin

Hi Lin,

I think I understand now. That reminds me of when we were experimenting with rotating wire spheres with an image in the center. It's always amazing what you can do with PTE.

Thanks,
Tom

Hi Tom,

Yes, we discussed it and Igor was considering trying to implement the feature of keyframing layer changes which could be a neat thing especially when orbiting celestial objects and trying to simulate some reality without jumping through too many hoops. My ex wife posted a neat video on Facebook which had a series of 3D objects which were either swinging on a string or rolling along sloped surfaces and entering and leaving objects through holes or slits. Everything was perfectly timed and obviously made with a really good 3D program and that got me to thinking how much might be done with PTE. Then I realized that to do most of these requires  layer shifts not really easy to do with PTE, but with some fiddling could be fairly well simulated. Of course PTE isn't designed to be that kind of software, but it's fun to play with and as you say amazing what "can" be done if one works at it. I was always blown away with what JPD was able to do and still scratch my head over some of the things he was able to accomplish. Jean-Cyprien makes some incredibly complex and beautiful creations with PTE. I don't have a bone of creativity in my body but I really enjoy playing with the program and trying out ideas that I get from watching what others create with a variety of software.

Best regards,

Lin 

Hi Lin,

I fear it's not an easy task for Igor to do what you mean. But it'd really be a nice improvment.

That said,

– I use the same method : splitted objets

– it's not really difficult to split a movement by two slides, even if animations are running, with or without modifiers.

You have just to put keyframes outside the slides duration.

Here is an example (better to understand).

No complex calculations : it needs only to know that 9-4=5

Quite simple. No ?

Best regards

Jean-Cyprien

example_Oct16-2018_17-26-44.zip

Hi Jean-Cyprien,

That makes perfect sense - a better way to split than I used with a single slide. Thanks for that example !!!

If Igor is able to create this feature of keyframed layer changes it will be great, but even without PTE offers amazing flexibility !!

Best regards,

Lin

Can anyone join in?

This one is different - not better. 

Two slides but does not use KF to achieve the Z-Ordering.

The Red circle goes under one "fence" and over the other on the outward journey - and the reverse on the way back. The only KF are the ones which define the start and finish and the oscillation. The Z ordering uses Time Range Control. You could apply this to your example.

Project Hide and Seek.exe

Hi Mur,

Yes, we've been doing this type thing for many, many years. Here's one I modified in 2008 (ten years ago) which uses some of the same techniques for swapping layers. This was well before we had video and the rotation of the earth was done with more than 800 tiny PNG images sequenced in layers. I don't think PTE can actually handle the speed of display to do it this way in current versions.  We've come a long way, and hopefully Igor will be able to find a way to give us layers by keyframes and perhaps true 3D capabilities in a future version (that is the ability to use 3d images created in dedicated 3d programs). It's been a great journey and still exciting...

Best regards,

Lin

http://www.lin-evans.org/3d/3d.zip

Hi davegee,

Of course it's possible to do the same thing you present with some KF, in different ways (as in my attached example).

But I'm sorry not to be able to understand what you mean to do, specially with de Z parameter.

Could you add more explanation, or join the PTE project ?

Thanks !

Best regards

Jean-Cyprien

ExampleDavegee_Oct17-2018_9-44-59.zip

Hi J-C, 

Apologies, I cannot add anything until later tonight. 

The red circle has been added and repeated in different Z planes relative to the rectangles and have been switched on or off using the Time Range Control. Therefore, there are no kf used to determine the Z Order.

Hi Dave,

Thank you for this reply, Dave, and no need to add anything, this time I understood perfectly !
(I did not see what was referring to "
Time Range Control" )
I don't usually use this Time Range, because their values should usually be changed when changing the duration of the slide, so I prefer to use the KF

But it is sometimes very useful when it is necessary to appear or disappear instantaneously an object.

Thanks again, and have a good day

Jean-Cyprien

54 minutes ago, Jean-Cyprien said:

Hi Dave,
I don't usually use this Time Range, because their values should usually be changed when changing the duration of the slide, so I prefer to use the KF

But it is sometimes very useful when it is necessary to appear or disappear instantaneously an object.

Thanks again, and have a good day

Jean-Cyprien

Hi J-C,

I agree with your comment about changes in Slide Duration.

Re "Instantaneously" - I see that as an advantage (most of the time).  :)

DG