WnSoft Forums

AMD Ryzen performance with PTE?

tom95521

My workstation is about 4 years old. Intel 4 core i7 4790K, 16 GB DDR3, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050ti 4 GB.  Upgraded with 256 GB SSD and 4 TB hard drive.

I'm thinking about buying a new computer and switching from Intel to an 8 core Ryzen 7 2700x computer. They seem to have fewer security problems (spectre/meltdown) compared to Intel.

https://www.costco.com/iBUYPOWER-C-SLA300a-Gaming-Desktop---AMD-Ryzen-7-2700X---GeForce-GTX-1060.product.100430278.html

I was wondering if anybody is using an AMD Ryzen CPU with PTE? Are you happy with the performance?

Thanks,
Tom

Hi Igor,

It's always difficult buying a PC because "next year" the processors will be even faster. I must decide if I want to wait for 7 nm Zen 2 next year. :)

https://hothardware.com/news/amd-zen-2-13-percent-ipc-lift-over-zen

Thanks,
Tom

I decided to go ahead and order the Ryzen 7 2700x computer from Costco. The security issues (spectre/meltdown/tlbleed) with i7 processors was an important factor. Should be here within 10 days. The 90 day return policy and 2 year warranty won me over.

Tom

• 2 weeks later...

Testing my new Ryzen 7 PC. Seems to be running fine with PTE 9. I did a test video encode of the Sample Project. Settings 1920x1080 medium quality 60 fps.Encode time 2 min 22 sec / 58.7 MB. I think it will improve in PTE 10 hardware encoding.

Tom

ryzen7_process.png.f0e88ce178bef9b8c68931f086682456.png

ryzen7_cpu.png.9ddc8ef50c1314ecc8daaea19172def8.png

ryzen7_gpu.png.036dc3f6364497b6817d4b6999252370.png

I notice the built in AVI video converter appears to be single threaded or maybe just not using all cores. Maybe the PTE 10 GPU enabled encoder will speed up input converter (if still needed).

Thanks,
Tom

Tom,

Video convertor is not necessary for PTE 10. Because the new version gets a full hardware acceleration for video playback. Even on old computers (since 2008). PTE 10 will play directly H.264 videos very smooth and with low CPU loading. We think to remove Video convertor utility from PTE 10.

Export of a project to MP4 video in PTE 9 and PTE 10 uses all CPU cores.

13 hours ago, Igor Kokarev said:

Video convertor is not necessary for PTE 10. Because the new version gets a full hardware acceleration for video playback. Even on old computers (since 2008). PTE 10 will play directly H.264 videos very smooth and with low CPU loading. We think to remove Video convertor utility from PTE 10.

Great news !

I think most video editors create a lower resolution proxy file or render a preview before playing. PTE is able to combine graphics with video with almost instant high quality screen output. I hope that beta testing begins before 2019 (or soon after).

Thanks,
Tom

On 11/1/2018 at 2:56 PM, Igor Kokarev said:

Tom,

Export of a project to MP4 video in PTE 9 and PTE 10 uses all CPU cores.

Igor...But will you l leave in the 'trim' function, and, hopefully, add other functions for video clips???

Gary

Until Igor has time to reply I think that we will still have objects and animation trim and speed functions. It does not modify the source video length or size. Rotate and mirror are also available inside objects and animation.

Tom

On 11/4/2018 at 7:49 PM, goddi said:

Igor...But will you l leave in the 'trim' function, and, hopefully, add other functions for video clips???

Gary,

Trim function and other parameters will be available in a Video clip object, like in version 9.0. 

I understand that a video convertor still may be very useful, especially if you create an EXE file.

Just the situation is the following: the old video convertor is now useless for PTE 10. We should fully rewrite it on 100%, it necessary to use new fast encoders, use another video codec (H.264, optimal for PTE 10) and improve the user interface.

We'll try to write a new improved video convertor in PTE 11 (or maybe in PTE 10).

It would be nice if PTE had a lossless trim feature.

Until then there are high quality lossless trim options or near lossless with smart rendering. I use Bandicut with smart rendering but there are many more. I also have VideReDo TVSuite 5 and Filmora which includes Instant Cutter. I will soon be testing an older version of Cyberlink PowerDirector (13) with SVRT (smart video rendering technology). Maybe PTE 11 will have publish to video with smart rendering to save time and quality.

List of free windows apps I have tested with lossless (copy) mode. They can trim, rotate, and convert formats.

http://avidemux.sourceforge.net/ (I have a problem with Panasonic FZ1000 AVCHD file, still testing)

https://www.xmedia-recode.de/en/ (easy to use filters, reliable, so far my favorite free lossless cutter)

http://virtualdub2.com/ (video menu, direct stream copy using closest I frame, export, stream copy)

Tom

• 5 weeks later...

We purchased a new desktop PC for our office with AMD Ryzen 3 2200G (integrated AMD graphics). It passed all PTE 9 shows at 1920 x 1080 screen resolutions. Absolutely smooth playback.

So I think that more powerful AMD Ryzen 5 2400G would be a very good purchase for PTE 9/10. 

You can install a dedicated video card at any time, if it will be necessary in future.

Intel is stuck at 14 nm and overpriced while AMD will be producing 7 nm in 2019.

I am eagerly awaiting a Zen 2 3000 series APU next year.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/amd-7nm-2019-zen-2/

Tom