WnSoft Forums
Igor Kokarev

How many 64 bit installations of Windows?

Hi,

How many users still use 32-bit version of Windows?

We plan to release 64-bit PicturesToExe 10 for Mac. There will be no 32-bit version for Mac, because all recent macOS versions are 64-bit only last 6-8 years. Apple offers free updates for macOS it means that almost all Mac computers use 64-bit OS now.

Microsoft still offers 32-bit version of Windows 10, Windows 8 and Windows 7 also were available for 32-bit. Qualcomm and Microsoft announced and sell ARM based laptops with emulation of 32-bit Windows app (no 64-bit support).

Honestly, if we speak about 64-bit version of PicturesToExe, we would prefer to release only 64-bit version. Because support of two versions - 32-bit and 64-bit costs more time for testing, and more forces to develop and support the code (including care about DLL files for both versions). 

When final code for PTE 10 is ready we need additional 1-2 months to finish 64-bit code for Windows.

Any thoughts?

On all my computers, MAC, Windows 10, Laptop, I only use 64 bit versions. I think that it is much better to use this rather than the 32 bit version.

Ron West

Hi Igor,

Your proposal makes sense ! In our club, very few people have a 32 bits Mac right now. I think that if you release a 64 bits version of PTE for Mac they will understand you and full agree with your choice.

Many others who have a 64 bits version will be very happy with this announcement and eager to test it. Quite difficult to have a finger in many pies as english people say !  

The same for Windows 10 version (the owners of 32 bits could keep the existing version or previous ones).

Daniel

Hi Igor

Time moves on.  Hardware and software specifications move on.

Supporting older configurations is bound to hold back the development of PTE.

I think it makes sense for you as a company to decide and publish a date, at which point the 32 bit Windows version will no longer be supported. The sooner that is done, the better.

That way, it will be fair to users and give them time to adjust and replan if necessary.

Regards

wideangle

I have a Laptop and PC and both have been on Windows 64 bit for several years.  Due to that I would suggest PTE goes solely 64 bit as soon as possible. Regards, John

Bonjour

Je pense qu’il est logique que vous décidiez d'une date à laquelle la version 32 bits de Windows ne sera plus prise en charge.  Il faut juste informer les utilisateurs de PTE et leur laisser le temps de migrer vers la version 64 Bits. (Quid du coût  ?)   Pour ma part je suis sous win 7 64 bits.

Georges

Laptop and PC Windows 64 bit

Kieron

No doubt, 64-bit!

Question: I am using Windows 7, 64-bit, PTE 9.0.14, and I have lots of PTE projects made with this and kept safe in zip files and/or templates, so I can open them and work on them in the future, using actual PTE 32-bit versions. Will it be possible to open and work on them with new PTE 64-bit?

Thanks,

Jose

Hi Igor

My PC is probably getting old now but is running windows 10 64 bit. So I think it would be a good idea to develop the next version of PTE as 4 bit.

Gogs

Hi Igor,

To switch to Windows 64 bit is a good idea; provided that the 32-bit PTE audiovisuals (*. pte) can still be modified / edited.

Regards,
Frans

I think that the vast majority of Windows computers now is 64-bit. NVIDIA has stopped to support 32-bit operating system. So go for 64-bit !

Both my desktop & laptop are 64 bit.

I say go with 64.

Jill

I have both, but since version 10 won't work with XP - it doesn't matter so 64 bit is fine..

Best regards,

Lin

I hope that the code for PTE can be recompiled for ARM processors. Apple could switch to their custom ARM processors for their desktop computers. Their 7 nm 10 billion transistor A12x has at 8 cores with 7 core GPU and is supposed to be faster than 92% of current laptops. PTE would probably run just fine on the A12x if you decide to create an iOS app.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_A12X

I can remember my TRS-80 with Z80 processor 40 years ago.:)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TRS-80

Thanks,
Tom

Tom,

We keep in mind the possibility of the appearance of the ARM CPUs in Macbooks and iMacs. I watch for these news. In theory the code of PTE 10 is now cross-platform. But we should write some specific code for ARM. It may take several months. And perform testing.

The transition from Intel CPUs to ARM in Macbooks and iMac will not be easy for all professionals apps.

I haven't used 32-bit Windows since 11 years ago. (I'm actually surprised that Microsoft still has 32-bit Windows 8, 8.1 and 10.) I would imagine there is some way to get official numbers - either published by Microsoft themselves or by some respected industry group such as Gartner.

Igor,

Will the EXE compiled slideshow also only be encoded as 64 bit playback?

*Some of my customer/client OS are still using 32 bit.

* Video output will not substitute ... as the EXE slideshows have alot of manually executed options.