WnSoft Forums

Png Images

Barry Beckham

Igor

Are you able to tell me why Png files appear to be such a drain on computer power. I tried Googling this, but too much dross to filter through. Recently an acquaintance had Png files not being displayed in PTE and that was a PC recourse issue.

In the past few days looking at that Perspective Panning technique again, I have found the same thing. In the O&A screen the png will not always display. Especially if its used at 6000px on the long side. I had to close and open and fiddle a bit to see what I was doing.

Now I am having to drop the size to 3000px, which still works fine, but I just wondered what it is about Png files that seem to put such a drain on PC power

Hi Barry,

How much video RAM do you have on your video card and what is the file load size on the file you have problems displaying?  It "could" be because PTE uses hardware rendering that the video card is causing this problem. What is the total RAM size of objects in O&A where you have problems with the PNG display? In my old XP where I have an nVidia GTX 750 TI Video card with 2 Gig video RAM I don't have any problems displaying a 6000x4000 PNG image in Objects and Animations. I have maxed out system RAM with 4 gig installed and 2.814 gig available.

Best regards,

Lin

Barry,

Send me a short sample project with PNG where this problem may occur. I will check its memory usage.

Being a 32-bit app, PTE 9 can use only up to 2 GB of system memory. With a special trick we can extend this limit up to 3.9 GB.

6000 x 4000 PNG image takes 96 MB - width x height x 4 bytes (RGBA). 1 copy of image in PTE, 1 copy in system memory of Direct3D engine, and 1 copy in a video memory (all these copies share common address space of 2 GB). In total we have 288 MB just for one 6000 x 4000 image. PTE uses 1 player in the main window (preview area), 1 player for the Slide list, 1 player in the editor of animations. The editor loads only one current slide. The preview player in the main window loads 3 slides in advance (with all their images). 

Of course, we use several tricks to economy memory, for example, we calculate current size of a preview player/ or in a EXE and proportionally downsize PNG/JPEG images before loading. The most effectively it works for JPEG. JPEG format allows to load already downsized copy of an image if we need to show a small copy of an image (it saves times of loading and memory usage). For PNG we have to load a full size copy and then downsize it before pass to a video card or DirectX.

So only 64-bit version of PTE may help improve this situation. And PTE will able to use all memory of your computer. And we're working on 64-bit version of PTE right now.

With 64-bit app out of memory problem should not occur, because all moderns computers have at least 8-16 GB of system memory.

P.S. All 3D games load textures (images) in a lossy format (something like JPEG with a strong compression), it reduced memory usage in 2-4 times. PTE loads images to textures in a video card using lossless format (RGBA) providing original image quality.

My PC is getting on a bit and has a Nvidia card with 2 gig of ram. The issue started when I recreated the perspective panning technique with an image 6000* 4000. The png part would not display in the O&A screen, but I overcame that by just reducing the resolution of that image by half.

You don’t really need those 6000 pixels for the technique to work, so reducing to 3000 isn’t a great issue. The only reason it came up is that in the past I have always been on top of image size all the time, but now with Mp4 and 60p, my Way of working is evolving.

When saving a png file there are three options in Photoshop, but whatever option you choose, small, medium or large. The file size for each is hardly much  different, although I only tried it with one image. The save process for a png file takes considerably longer than for other file types, so it’s clear something  is different with these files.

I don’t now have a project that shows the issue, because I was just running through the procedure to familiarise myself with the technique and I suspect if I tried the same thing on my newer PC it would be fine. I just wondered why a picture with half the pixels on it, causes such a drain on the system.

I wouldn’t worry about it Igor, it’s not an important issue for me, just interested that’s all

Barry,

4 hours ago, Barry Beckham said:

When saving a png file there are three options in Photoshop, but whatever option you choose, small, medium or large. The file size for each is hardly much  different, although I only tried it with one image.

These Photoshop options affect only to a PNG file size. And no difference of memory usage in PTE, because PTE unpacks PNG to a bitmap in memory.

You can check memory usage of PTE in Task Manager. If it close to 1.9 GB you may quickly reach "out of memory" error.

Hi Igor,

You said:

“Being a 32-bit app, PTE 9 can use only up to 2 GB of system memory. With a special trick we can extend this limit up to 3.9 GB.”

What is such special trick? As you know, I am always figting against this 2GB limit in my PTE big video projects. I wonder if I could use such trick to easy my life...

Regards,

Jose

Hi,

No, never tried. However, I never make EXE fiIes, only build HD MP4 fies of my projects.

Anyhow, could you please let me know what happens when we select such option? I mean, in terms of either for EXE files or for MP4 files. I presume that required memory will be less, but is this compatible with publishing MP4 files?

My computer is 32GB RAM, graphic card is 4GB (AMD Radeon HD 8970M), Windows 7, 64-bit.

I have in front of me a PTE project open. Windows Task Manager indicates:

- in Performance: Memory 3,68 GB

- in Processes: PTE 563.976 K, Windows Explorer 272.756K, 18 more items with 2.140K to 7.112K. This is because I always delete a lot of unnecessary processes in order to free some memory.

Afer 1 hour working with PTE, Performance reaches some 4,12 GB memory. Sometimes PTE freezes. To avoid freezing/crashing, I restart computer and start again (with the actual 3,68 GB). Very much annoying, don’t you think? PTE high quality is well worth, but I am anxious for 64-bit version.

Regards,

Jose

Jose, if PTE runs your project with about 4 GB, my suggestion will not help you. It will help only you when creating EXE files. I have just made an example. I created a small project including three videos with total file size of about 5 GB. I could run this the corresponding EXE file while leaving the videos outside the EXE.

In the present situation you might split your project into several parts, create several videos and combine them in a video editor. :unsure:

That is exactly what I am doing: I make several PTE project’s parts, respective HD MP4 files and concat them using FFMPEG without any reconversion, so keeping original PTE quality.

But it is not easy to decide start and end of each part, mainly because of audio connections, which can not be discontinued.

PTE 64-bit is much necessary!