WnSoft Forums

Flickr Replacement

JudyKay

Not sure in what thread to post this, so please move it if this isn't' right.

I have long used Free Flickr for posting images.  Mostly I just used Flickr to post for family and friends, so free is good enough. But alas, now that I have well over 10,000 images on Flickr, the freebie freedom is going away with a 1000 image limit.  Any suggested alternatives (Non-Adobe)?

I've just signed up for the pro account. I actually don't think $50 a year is unreasonable given the service provided. Unlimited storage, so you get a backup as well as a display option and it's all so easy to upload and get images published. They look well presented too.

I know we would always prefer free, but given the interest and purpose that photography gives me.  I think it's a small price to pay. The Pro is Add free and with 10 minute videos allowed early in 2019. So, I can upload a lot of my videos that are under 10 minutes up there too. 

I have had a Flickr Free account for a little while and thought that I would give the Pro Account a try if only for a year.

It seems like a good place to store Video and I tried my first one today. As of today it is limited to 3 minutes but that is long enough to tell that the quality is good enough. I don't produce anything like 10 minutes of video - ever -so when the new limit comes in I will try that out.

It is, as Barry suggests, good value

DG

We went out for an unplanned lunch yesterday, very modest at a local tavern. A couple of beers and two quite cheap meals, yet I spent more than the annual cost of Flickr.

I think we have to put these costs in context and when you do, it’s not a bad deal in my view

I don’t know you that well, but you seem to get around the world quite a bit and if your posting 10,000 images on Flickr, here is my suggestion

If there was a comparable free option out there, you would probably already have knowledge about it. However, nothing is free, someone is paying somewhere. So, it’s either advertisers as on YouTube or a subscription.

I’m sure there is a free to the user option out there somewhere, but then I’m not looking

Thanks for your point of view.

I do get around.  I think 19 countries in the last 5 years--although multiple times in some of those 19. I am very conservative with my shutter button but still shoot about 20,000-30,000 pictures a year--not a lot but not a few either. It is just a glorified hobby and I use a lot for humanitarian purposes.

As mentioned above, Flickr is an account for family and friends, not for my portfolio or special presentations which are elsewhere and are paid.  10,000 photos are quite a few for Flickr and there may or may not be a migration route to other services. 

I have paid for Flickr in the past but found it severely wanting and dying. I am guessing that Flickr's recent surge of activity is a reach for money upon their last dying gasp and don't want to invest in them.  You can if you think that is a wise business idea. So I stopped paying as my photos there are just a repository of fun pics for friends.  I thought surely photographers here might do the same.  Maybe some do...anyone else?

Yes, Verizon through Oath, sold Flickr to Smugmug.  Does SmugMug need Flickr to gain relevance? Doubtful. Or is SmugMug cleaning out and absorbing the competition to convert and automatically gain Flickr users?  Anyway you cut it, the whole thing seems likely to go SmugMug. Which is fine, but it won't be the old Flickr and won't likely remain the new one for long either.  That is my guess.  MacAskill is all about profit and Flickr has something like 100 million unique users.  That is worth buying even if MacAskill can only monetize a tiny percent of it. In short, Flickr isn't likely to make a comeback.

On 11/17/2018 at 5:12 PM, JudyKay said:

Thanks for your point of view.

I do get around.  I think 19 countries in the last 5 years--although multiple times in some of those 19. I am very conservative with my shutter button but still shoot about 20,000-30,000 pictures a year--not a lot but not a few either. It is just a glorified hobby and I use a lot for humanitarian purposes.

As mentioned above, Flickr is an account for family and friends, not for my portfolio or special presentations which are elsewhere and are paid.  10,000 photos are quite a few for Flickr and there may or may not be a migration route to other services. 

I have paid for Flickr in the past but found it severely wanting and dying. I am guessing that Flickr's recent surge of activity is a reach for money upon their last dying gasp and don't want to invest in them.  You can if you think that is a wise business idea. So I stopped paying as my photos there are just a repository of fun pics for friends.  I thought surely photographers here might do the same.  Maybe some do...anyone else?

Wow! That's probably more than most other photographers?

20,000/365 = about 55 photos/day
30,000/365 = about 82 photos/day

I think it takes me about a year to fill up 1 memory card with about 100 photos.

Tom

Yes, I do take a lot of photos, though certainly not every day.  There are some days when I take 1000 or more.  A typical wedding/reception for me is about 1500. I   My Lightroom library presently reflects mostly the last 14 years plus some thousands of old-image scans and has over 100,000 images. I am interested in what other people here are doing...?

On 11/19/2018 at 9:17 PM, wideangle said:

Hi judyKay

You must almost need a full-time assistant to manage and organise them for you!

Do you tend to revisit the older images very often, or are they just stored for posterity?

Regards

wideangle

Lightroom is my assistant and I am thankful for it!  I cull a lot and rate images and sort and tag fairly well.  I can usually find what I want. I do revisit, but selectively, by topic or tag.  Many are simply organized and provided to non-profit agencies for their own use, but I do retain rights and keep the originals. I create extensive slideshows for clients which may be historical, documentary, topical, informative or inspirational.

I would love to learn more about what other users do just out of interest.

I've never used a file/image sharing service other than Facebook and YouTube, which of course are totally different concepts than Fickr, etc.  Since I retired, photography is now my hobby rather than my profession. When I worked, the images were proprietary (my work was for primarily for art galleries) so stored and displayed on my own server for my clients. These days I probably shoot less that an average of 20 images per day so no real need for a large on-line storage. I archive several hundred thousand images on multiple storage devices but where I live there is no truly decent high-speed internet available. My own systems are connected to rather mediocre DSL. I'm a bit envious of the adjacent close large community of Longmont, Colorado which has the fasted internet in the nation available for less than I pay for DSL. Longmont has 1,000 mbps upload and download symmetrical with NextLight service. Because of my slow DSL even uploading a small portion of my photos to Flickr or SmugMug, etc., would be problematic so I really have no experience to share in this regard,

Best regards,

Lin

I have never used an online photo sharing/selling site like Flickr or SmugMug.

Most of my photos are captured using my android phone (currently an older Nexus 5x) so I use Google Photos (Google One) for photo albums and cloud folder sync. I don't have terabytes of photos. For my Panasonic FZ1000 camera I don't use any expensive software to cull images other than Google Photos or File Explorer w/Irfanview. For HDR or panoramas I use Affinity Photo. My hobby does not include a budget for Adobe cloud software.

My internet bandwidth is asynchronous 100 Mbps down/10 Mbps up via Suddenlink cable. I'm envious of the internet speeds in Longmont Colorado.

Since my main PC is Windows 10 it also connects to Microsoft OneDrive so it also does folder sync.

For temporary file sharing I have been using https://wetransfer.com/ 
I would encrypt with AES-256 7-zip if it's anything confidential.

Comparison of cloud storage providers.
https://www.cloudwards.net/dropbox-vs-google-drive-vs-onedrive/

Thanks,
Tom