WnSoft Forums

Photoshop CS6

Tomcatred55

I know I'm behind the times but I've only just got and installed CS6 ( never going to pay monthly for the latest Cloud version).

I got it so that I could open RAW files and guess what I can't open RAW files. Been going round in circles all day trying to get the latest version of "Camera RAW" and "Bridge" but to know avail.

Any tips?

It’s because the version of PS you’re using is much older than your camera and the plugins needed to open raw files from that camera are not created. If you think the issue through. How could they manage that with Photoshop that has been around  for well over 25 years. 

I'm aware of the problem but can you suggest the solution? I've tried downloading Camera RAW 11.0 (seems to be the latest version)  but it doesn't seem to work.

I do have serious issues with hard drive space, so that could be causing it. I have just ordered an upgraded PC so I might as well wait I suppose.

Greetings,

I don't shoot RAW but I happened to have a few that were taken in 2006 with an old Nikon D70. So I just tried to open one in Photoshop.

So I have CS5 and Camera Raw 6.7. When I try to open the NEF in CS5, it first opens it in Camera Raw, and then I click on its 'Open Image' and it then opens in CS5.

Not sure what camera you have. Maybe that's the problem but my old D70's RAW seems to work in CS5.

Gary

I looked at a video on YouTube where a woman showed that menu for setting the correct version of ACR but I can't work out how you bring up that screen.

I also found the box that my camera came in (I always keep the box for if I sell the camera) and found 2 CDs in there but neither had any software on them, just instructions.

I've tried all of this many times before and always come up against the same issue, I usually just go back to shooting JPEG but I'm determined to crack it this time.

13 minutes ago, davegee said:

P.S. If you get an error message take a screen shot of it and post it here.

P.S.S. The link above will allow you to download and install the Canon software.

DG

Sorry dave I know I'm annoying and a bit of a computer dummy. I really do thank you for your persistence on this one.

Right I don't know how to do a "screen shot" but this is a photo of the PC screen with the message that I get. Nice it says "go to updates via help" but that is "greyed out" on my version of CS6.

IMG_20190106_100455.jpg

What I meant was, when you get error messages in the process of trying to convert to dng and load them into acr you should press print screen on keyboard, open a new doc in cs6, choose clipboard, paste the contents of clipboard, save as jpeg and post here. Or take photo like you did :mellow:

We know that you cannot open your RAW files directly in cs6.

DG

2 minutes ago, davegee said:

What I meant was, when you get error messages in the process of trying to convert to dng and load them into acr you should press print screen on keyboard, open a new doc in cs6, choose clipboard, paste the contents of clipboard, save as jpeg and post here. Or take photo like you did :mellow:

We know that you cannot open your RAW files directly in cs6.

DG

Sorry again but you've lost me now. What do you mean by "trying to convert to dng and load them into acr"?

34 minutes ago, davegee said:

Have you download the Adobe DNG Converter and installed it?

Have you downloaded the Canon software and installed it?

DG

I think I said in an earlier comment that I have the DNG converter on my laptop but can't seem to download it in my PC for some reason.

Just tried the Canon software updater but it required the Canon software CD to be in the disc reader but I can't find it.

Can I ask about Adobe Bridge, I'm sure we had a guy come to our Camera Club a while back to explain all about RAW files and he opened all his RAW files directly through Bridge, made a couple of minor adjustments then opened them in PS CS6. I don't seem to have Bridge, should it come with CS6 or is that a separate download?

Bridge was a part of CS6, so if you don’t have Bridge it tends to suggest that your CS6 may not be entirely genuine. Even if it was it won’t help open raw files from a modern camera for the reasons already explained.  You will have to do what Dave suggests and download the program to convert raw images from your camera to DNG, then they should open from Bridge, but if you don’t have Bridge, then you will come to a halt there too.

Whatever software was on your canon CD you will find it on line if you do a search

Okay I'm getting somewhere now.

The DNG converter, on my laptop (still can't get it on the PC), does convert CR2 files into DNGs which I can open in Camera RAW (a kind of pre-CS6 window.....is this "bridge"?). 

This does offer me lots of ways to edit the DNG file, I can then open that in CS6. Seems a ball ache at the moment but I'm sure I'll get used to it. 

Thank you Barry and dave for your help with this.