WnSoft Forums

Music input levels

RobC

Hi Bob

The way I do that, is to extract the sound track from each video, then use them as separate files in the Timeline (making sure the synchronisation is OK between the video and the sound track).  In PTE it is easy to have a silent video: in Objects and Animation, there is a video option: "Mute audio" which does exactly that.

For extraction of the audio part from the video, I use VLC-media player from VideoLAN: Menu "Media", then "Convert/Record", and I select the profile as "WAV", no Video CODEC and MP3 as the Audio CODEC.

I am sure there are other ways, maybe even from within PTE to extract the audio, but that works for me at present.

Optionnally I also use the free software "Audacity" to set the overal volume, the balance between each channel, etc.

ADDITION:

In PTE, go to "Project Options", "Audio" tab, "Add Audio File" after selecting "video files" instead of "audio files" at the bottom right of the sreen (just above "open") and then at the bottom right of the screen: "Convert tracks to MP3 for EXE".  The extracted audio track is pushed at the far end of the slideshow (after any existing other sound file, I think) and needs to be brought back under the video it belongs to.

Hi all, many thanks for taking the time to answer my question. When inserting a video clip from my SLR the sound doesn't appear separately.  Perhaps it's because it's embeded? 

Also, the question was actually relating to getting sound levels from several AVs within a single presentation all at the same level (decibels) so that they are all at the same volume. I hope you can help? 

Indeed, your recorded video file (from camera) contains the sequential images and also the sound track.

In order to manage the sound level of your video, the procedure is to extract the sound from the video as a separately manageable item, and to mute the video to avoid any interference.

My previous procedure was to create a physically separate audio file from the video, as if it came from a musical CD.  That is not necessary as explained by Tonton Bruno, since all can be done within PTE. Neat!

Hi Rob,

Let me try to answer your question in different words and in a slightly different way. Yes, the audio is embedded in the video by your SLR and if you simply enter the video on the slide list there is no way to control the sound on your video.

PicturesToExe has a very easy way to separate the audio from the video. First, in  Objects and Animations screen on the "Properties Tab" click the mouse in the box marked "Mute Audio."  

Next, click on the "Project Options" button on the lower left of the screen then click on the "Audio" tab. Now click on "Add Audio File"  and when the box to Open and audio file appears, where it says "files of type" and defaults to "audio files," click on the little down arrow in the tiny blue box to the right and from the menu choose "video files."  Now navigate to your video file and select and open it.

Now your audio for this video is fully adjustable via the waveform just as if you had entered an mp3 or other audio file.

As for the audio volume from several AV's , you CAN adjust them individually via the waveform, but the better way is to do it in an audio editor such as Audacity. 

Best regards,

Lin

Please note that there is a little "Gotcha" attached to both methods described above If you ONLY want the Audio of a video.

If you are making an EXE from the Project then the WHOLE VIDEO is included in the EXE which pumps up the File Size.

The way to avoid this is to EXPORT the completed soundtrack when the project is finished, delete all soundtracks and re-introduce the SAVED (adjusted/composite) soundtrack as a single Audio Clip.

It would probably be wise to make a copy of the project in order to do this to be able to go back if necessary to make late changes.

If your output is Video then this is not necessary.

DG