WnSoft Forums

Nikon / Adobe Collaboration

davegee

It appears that Nikon and Adobe have, at last, began collaboration on some of the in-camera settings with regard to Nikon Z6/7 and possibly all new Nikon cameras.

Adobe Camera RAW in Photoshop CC and the other Adobe product will now recognise the Picture Control, White Balance and other in-camera settings and apply the correct profile used automatically without used intervention.

I have been very impressed with the Z6 so far and the Focus Shift and In-camera time lapse work really well. 

DG

That's good news - I'm still a bit miffed at Adobe. When they first came out with their ARC software I bought the first version and upgraded as soon as it was available. Then they decided to add it to Photoshop and rather quickly it became necessary to buy new versions of Photoshop to get the latest RAW converters. I always felt they should have sold ARC as it started as a stand-alone product which could be updated for a reasonable price. Now one has to either buy the cloud versions of Photoshop or Lightroom subscription which I will never do. I got burned early on when I was on an extended back-country trip with no internet and lost my ability to use Photoshop when I couldn't connect so couldn't convert any of my RAW files from three different cameras. I ended up buying Photoshop 6 extended and stopped right there. Now I just use the manufacturer's conversion software.

The Z6 sounds like a great product - better I think than the Z7 from what I've read. Does the in-camera time lapse use the mechanical shutter or electronic shutter? I'm hoping the electronic because it seems one could quickly wear out the mechanical shutter doing  time lapse...

I love the fact that they have included the in-body stabilization. I have both the P900 and P1000 and the stabilization is absolutely amazing. I can hand-hold the P1000 at 3000 mm optical and get excellent results and that's some excellent stabilization.  I gave my grandson my D5300 and now I only have the D7200, D7000 and 1V1. I was considering getting a 1V3 but got tempted by the P1000 because I really have loved the P900 and to get the focal length I wanted with the 1V3 would have required me to buy an expensive additional lens... 

Best regards,

Lin

I won't get drawn too much on your first point except to say that I subscribe with one annual payment and in 3-4 years have only been asked to Log in twice. There is a lady on the Nikon Cafe site who was always complaining about it and she travelled extensively. I believe that she sorted it by emailing Adobe but don't know the details. I also believe that there is a certain amount of cutting off of one's nose to spite one's face about it. Initially, I was still using NX-2 as my RAW converter but since neither of my current cameras are now supported by NX-2 I gradually moved over to ACR but still use NX- D if I need more accurate representation of what I saw when taking an image. But I don't particularly want to make this thread about the pros and cons of subscription models - maybe in another thread??

Regarding the Time Lapse. Yes you can set Silent Shutter. You can also set the Time Lapse to output any 4K or HD format at any frame rate (with the exception of 120).

Apart from the Time Lapse it will also output at one of 3 "Slo Mo" (4x) formats.

Version 9 currently does not support 120fps input but Igor has tried an example from this camera and assures me that Version 10 handles it OK without the need for conversion which applies to all video clips (AFAIK).

In body stabilisation is difficult for me to assess at present - I only have my G lenses (with VR) and a couple of AF-D lenses So I am still learning about that. What is really nice is to be able to manually focus any lens and have positive indication of correct focus. Focus Peaking works OK but I would not buy the camera just on the strength of that feature alone.

DG

Yep, that's all water under the bridge now - Adobe changed their "call home" requirements drastically since the early days. 

Good to know time lapse has the electronic shutter option!

Good also that V10 will handle 120fps !!

You will love the stabilization if you get any long glass and the "in-focus" indication is a major plus. I changed from Canon to Nikon a number of years ago when several sucessive models of Canon had serious autofocus reliability issues. I've never been sorry...

Best regards,

Lin