WnSoft Forums

H265 Codec from GoPro Hero7 [SOLVED]

Kalain

Hi,

Future version 10.0 will support MP4 video with H.265 codec (HEVC) and playback with fast hardware acceleration (on new video cards).

For version 9.0 I recommend to use HandBrake - a free open source video converter: https://handbrake.fr/ 
Personally I also use this great software program.

If you plan to create a final EXE show:
In HandBrake: in Output Settings > Video tab > Video Codec > change "H.264" option to "MPEG-4". You can keep other options by default. It will create video optimized for PicturesToExe 9.

• Igor changed the title to H265 Codec from GoPro Hero7 [SOLVED]
  • 1 month later...

Gary,

Speaking about MPEG-4 I mean "MPEG-4 Part 2 Advanced Simple Profile" video codec. This codec is very simple for fast video decoding using CPU.

H.264 has a full official name - MPEG-4 Part 10 Advanced Video Coding. But usually all name it H.264 or AVC.

Igor,

What is confusing is you say, in Handbrake, to change 'H.264' to 'MPEG4'. But you also say H.264 (AVC) is the same as MPEG4.  Aren't you starting out trying to convert an H.265 video to H.264? Seems that we need to convert H.265 to H.264, to be useable in PTE9. The original posting has to do with using HEVC in PTE9 and needs to be converted.

Where does HVEC (H.265) fit in?

I understand that HVEC codec will be usable in PTE10, but it can be converted using Handbrake to H.264 (AVC) so it can be used in PTE9?

Gary

5 minutes ago, goddi said:

Just to clarify, if I use an H.265 (HVAC) video clip in the upcoming PTE10, will the PTE's MP4 output be readable in computers that normally would not be able to play an H.265 clip?

Yes, because when you create a MP4/AVI video PTE mixes all still images and video clips and then encodes a final NEW video file. A format of source video clips doesn't matter.

Gary,

'MPEG4' usually means MPEG-4 ASP (not H.264).

H.264 appeared later as a further development of MPEG4 standard and to avoid confusion it's called AVC or H.264.

In PTE 9 optimal video codec is MPEG-4 (ASP), not H.264. It works better in the preview and in EXE shows. For this reason I recommended in Handbrake change H.264 output to MPEG4.

PTE 10 will natively work with H.264 (with smooth playback) and it will be optimal codec for PTE 10.

PTE 10 also supports H.265, but if you create an EXE show I recommend to re-encode H.265 to H.264 for more smooth playback of video clips on slow computers.

If you use PTE 10 and create a final movie in MP4 format, you can work with ANY source video clips which you prefer. PTE 10 will work fine with all these video codecs.