WnSoft Forums

Maximum JPG image size

Photosbykev

Good morning,

I've just downloaded a trial version of PTE9 with a view to creating an exe of a slideshow rather than use Premiere Pro to produce a MP4/AVI file but I've hit a snag straight away.

I shoot a lot of panoramic images, both 360 and rectilinear, and the jpg files are BIG, typically 30,000 pixels wide and upto 300Mb in size. I was hoping to be able to pan the panoramas left/right/up/down etc but PTE doesn't even show the thumbnail icon and comes up with a loading error when I try to add one the the timeline.

Is there a physical limit to image size accepted by PTE as these files load without issues into Premiere or Photoshop.

regards

Kev

Hi Kev,

Future PTE 10 will be 64-bit app, and it will handle very large panorama images.

However even PTE 9 should support reasonably large panoramas. Probably you need to optimize a pixel size of images according your target screen. What pixel resolution of your screen?

Can you create one sample panorama animation with a reduced pixel size (which works without problems) to demonstrate your idea. I will check if it possible to optimize the images without loss in quality.

Thanks for coming back to me Igor,

the jpg images won't load into the file explorer within PTE, this screen shot shows what I get when I try to drag it down into the timeline and the blank image icons in the explorer section. 

That specific 360 panoramic image is 30k x 15k pixel @ 420Mb file size. I was hoping to be able to pan across the central area and then dissolve into another pano image and so on.

I'm working on a Dell XPS9360 8th gen i7 laptop with 16Gb ram and a QHD+ screen (3200x1800) but I was hoping for a final PTE exe file running at 1920x1080

To show the images in their full resolution you can see them in this on-line digital tour  http://www.photosbykev.co.uk/panoramas/St_Peters_v3/360pano.html 

Hopefully I will be able to use the pano images at close to full resolution to give me the slow pan across the screen with more detailed single images being masked into the panos for an AV photographic competition. I can acheieve it in Premiere but obviously a stand-alone exe file is preferred.

Is PTE 10 available for testing with the larger files?

best regards

Kev

image.png

Kev,

Thanks for the details.

PTE and other apps always unpack JPEGs to bitmaps in system memory. So 15000 x 30000 in RGBA format = 1.8 GB. Of course, PTE loads optimized reduced image if output size if small (thumbnails). But anyway loading of such images is painfully slow. Even in PTE 10.

I created two JPEGs at 15K x 30K and they worked in PTE 10 (with slow loading). 

I believe that it's possible to optimize your images in Photoshop according kind of planned animation (panning, zooming, etc).

For example, if you use only horizontal panning from left to right, simply crop the image keeping only working part. And then resample image size to have a height in pixels around 1080-1440. It would be quite enough for 1080p screens.

Also you can split the original panoramic image into 2 or more images, if you plan to change a direction of animation. For example, use 1st image for horizontal panning, and then add 2nd image for zooming.

Even PTE 9 will work much faster and better with such optimized images.

P.S. PTE 10 Beta will be available for testing soon.

22 minutes ago, Igor Kokarev said:

Kev,

Thanks for the details.

PTE and other apps always unpack JPEGs to bitmaps in system memory. So 15000 x 30000 in RGBA format = 1.8 GB. Of course, PTE loads optimized reduced image if output size if small (thumbnails). But anyway loading of such images is painfully slow. Even in PTE 10.

I created two JPEGs at 15K x 30K and they worked in PTE 10 (with slow loading). 

I believe that it's possible to optimize your images in Photoshop according kind of planned animation (panning, zooming, etc).

For example, if you use only horizontal panning from left to right, simply crop the image keeping only working part. And then resample image size to have a height in pixels around 1080-1440. It would be quite enough for 1080p screens.

Also you can split the original panoramic image into 2 or more images, if you plan to change a direction of animation. For example, use 1st image for horizontal panning, and then add 2nd image for zooming.

Even PTE 9 will work much faster and better with such optimized images.

P.S. PTE 10 Beta will be available for testing soon.

Thank you Igor,

I can resize the images to suit the animation I'm going to use them for so I think in the short term I'll have to do that until PTE10 is released. I'll take a look at your ideas to split/crop the images as clearly some regions of the images are redundant.

regards

Kev