WnSoft Forums

Solution for the problem with "Controlled folder access" in Windows 10

Igor

Microsoft recently introduced a new feature of Windows 10: Controlled folder access

This mode prohibits any apps to save any documents in My documents, My images, My videos, and on desktop. Even Notepad and Paint apps can't save any documents in these folders! And users will see a meaningless error message on attempt to save a document.

Some users accidentially enabled this option and I received two messages from PTE users recently.

Symptoms of the problem in PicturesToExe:

1. Error message during the installation of PicturesToExe: "IPersistFile::Save failed; code 0x80070002.
PicturesToExe cannot create a shortcut on the desktop.

2. User cannot create a video file, or an EXE file in My documents folder.

3. Creation of a slide style, or creation of a transition effect doesn't work (because the storage of styles and transitions is located in My documents by default).

Solution:

A. Disable "Controlled folder access" feature in Windows 10.

B. Or add PicturesToExe to the list of trusted apps.

More info from Microsoft

https://www.windowscentral.com/windows-10-preview-build-183517-now-available-slow-ring-insiders

Igor,

I took a look at the 'Controlled Folder Access' feature you mentioned. Out of curiosity, I enabled it to see what would happen. I tried to open my 'Adobe Premiere Elements 15' and it  would not open beyond the Welcome screen. I then disabled it, and then the Adobe opened. So this 'feature' can cause problems beyond PTE. :wacko:

Gary

Isn’t it best to just spend a few minutes adding trusted apps to gain that extra level of safety. Even for those of us who are computer savvy. All it takes is a moments lack of concentration and you open a zipped file that you shouldn’t and bam, you have ransomware encrypting all your files.

True. My point was that someone might activate this feature and then just go about their day. Then, a program that used to function does not work, as with the Adobe Premiere. But there was no error message or warning as to why it did not continue to open. It opened to the Welcome screen and just stopped. I only happened to put 2 and 2 together and figured it was this new feature. So I added it to the trusted apps list and now it works. But, I'm not  having any problems with PTE 9.0.22 not being on the 'trusted app' list.

Gary

Added later: If a program works without it being add to the activated 'trusted apps' feature, and  then added to the 'trusted apps' list, is it then 'protected'?