WnSoft Forums

On1 Photo Raw 2019.2

Lin Evans

Lin

I too stopped buying Photoshop when the subscription scheme was introduced. I've continued to use CS6, which still satisfies all my needs, although there do seem to be a couple of contenders in the marketplace to have a look at.
On1 is one of them. ( I do notice that they have a subscription Plus version as well, which suggests that you don't get all the bells and whistles with the bought package).

Barry

You may or may not be right, but I think there have been significant shifts away from the subscription Photoshop CC for the hobbyist and general enthusiast.

I recently attended The Photography Show at the NEC in the UK, which, as you know, is a major show in this country.
I didn't sit in on any closed theatre presentations because I only made a last-minute decision to go, and those presentations had to be pre-booked.  However, there were plenty of open theatre presentations, and I sat in on several, and for the first time ever, I saw no use of Photoshop or Lightroom.

Indeed, Adobe in the past, have had a major presence at this show, with one of the largest theatres, and they weren't even in attendance this year.
One of the larger theatres was doing  a presentation of Affinity Photo, and this was proving popular, with standing room only. (Another contender to have a look at I think, as a single payment package.)
For the features it offers, I personally think it is a bargain buy, and as it was being offered at a one-off payment special Show price of £25 (!!!), there is no wonder that the sales counter was busy.

I chatted to lots of people throughout the day, mainly amateur users and enthusiasts like myself, and would estimate (although not statistically significant!) that three quarters of those who used Photoshop had not moved into the subscription version. Maybe that is why Adobe had decided to drop this show as a lost cause, because in the main it is regarded as a show for enthusiasts.

I hasten to say that the people I spoke to tended to be hobbyists, but I would expect that the real professional users have moved along with Photoshop and Lightroom automatically. Why wouldn't they?

Does anyone else who attended that show have any opinions?

Regards

wideangle

I think Photoshop is overkill for the vast majority of either professional or hobby photographers. Yes, it has myriad features and can do nearly everything with images, but  having used it for many, many years as a professional photographer as well as after retiring I find that probably only a small number of its features are really germane to everyday photography. This is probably why Adobe created Lightroom which has become a staple for photographers. 

Products like On 1 Photo Raw 2019.2  and  Affinity Photo offer alternative options aimed specifically at the professional photographer. Some of what I'm seeing with On 1 are improvements to Photoshop, specifically in the area of handling layers.  The only way to be certain whether it offers improvements to one's workflow is the try it and it has a 30 day free trial so I'll give it a try myself.

Here's a link which explains the differences in the Pro Plus and regular On 1 Photo RAW 2019-2

https://www.on1.com/products/plus/faq/

Best regards,

Lin

Lin

From my own point of view, I agree entirely with what you say about overkill.

Since I stopped at CS6, I have looked at the developments in Photoshop from that point, and have asked myself the question "Would I personally really have used that feature?" and the answer has been inevitably No.

I know there are people around who feel that they must have the latest version of everything for whatever reason, whether they use it or not, but not me.

Regards

wideangle