WnSoft Forums

In High Places

Definitely nice. I have more heart than ever in your country, though I've never been there.  Yet.  We have several very close friends from there (expats working other places) and a sort of adopted daughter (we call her that) who moved there.  So one day,  by God's grace, we hope to come!   

• 3 weeks later...

Exceptional Barry...  Great stability in the videos and beautiful land and seascapes make a great subject. 

I've been holding off on buying a drone primarily because here I would be shooting at extreme altitudes and usually in relatively heavy winds.  Most of the places here in Colorado which have interesting landscapes, wildlife, etc., are situated at altitudes from 10,000 to over 14,000 feet elevation and to get the performance necessary in a drone the cost is prohibitive. They are getting better and a couple of the manufacturers are now producing drones which can deal even with 19,000 feet elevation and handle fairly heavy winds. Now it's just a matter of getting enough saved to get one of the better functioning machines and learning to use it.

Best regards,

Lin 

There are quite strict height limits for drones and here its 400ft, but that is 400ft above the take off point. If you’re ready 10,000 ft up, then you would have another 400ft from there, but that’s all.

As for flying them, you’ll learn than in an hour, it’s pretty easy.

Yes, we have limits here too - but the actual ground altitude in some of the places I will use it is 14,268 feet so it will have to be able to probably at least have a service ceiling of about 15,000 feet. Hopefully, I'll be able to learn to fly it in an hour - that would be nice. I'm an old pilot with lots of hours in small aircraft - I used to have a 1939 Aeronca Chief back in the early and mid 60's and I've got probably close to 1000 hours in small aircraft,  but after being shot down in a helicopter in Vietnam and also surviving a Caribou crash, I decided not to fly anymore. I'm impressed with the smoothness of the videos. Did you have to stabilize them in post, or is the camera on the drone already that good? 

Best regards,

Lin 

The videos are straight from the drone. I’m a novice when it comes to video and all I did was crop off the dross and adjusted colour and clarity. I did try to ensure that my shutter speed was around twice the frame rate when shooting.