WnSoft Forums

Interesting issue with Win 7 may have PTE implications.

Lin Evans

Hi Igor - I'm not certain this bug in Windows 7  64 bit was ever solved.  Just in case something like this were to happen with PTE thumbnails, It's good to know about it. Here's a comment from one of the Resolve users:

"I recently encountered this thumbnail problem too - eventually the system becomes unusable as the thumbnail generator seems to consume memory and processor cycles. There are other reports that the problem is caused by "corrupted media files" - once the thumbnail process encounters a corrupted file, the process goes haywire.

Initially, I disabled thumbnails by choosing to show icons only (Control Panel | Folder options | View tab, then check "Always show icons, never thumbnails"). Without thumbnails, the problem goes away but without the ability to see your jpg and video files in Explorer.

Acting on a hunch, the problem seemed to be due to a media file on the desktop. I moved all media files to a folder, not on the desktop, and the problem went away. I do have side-by-side mp4 files as I create 3D videos. I have other SxS files that do not seem to be causing problems with the thumbnail generator.

This is not a new problem in Windows 7 - there are online reports of this going back to Vista. There's no excuse for this defect in Windows to still exist.

Ed"

Just something to file away in case...

Best regards,

Lin