WnSoft Forums

Sound advice

anthrodoc

;) Folks have suggested various other resources to complement PTE (utilities to enhance photos, sound editors etc.) I am currently working on a small project where I would like to add specific sounds (e.g. the sound of changing TV channels, with accompanying static sound) and am looking for good sound sources (royalty free that can be used in projects). Suggestions for such sound sources?

Thanks...

Brian

anthrodoc,

really good sound effect libraries as being offered for the film industry are very expensive and cost thousands. For the amateur, there are some cheap audio CDs in nearly every good CD store available, where you can check, whether or not your sound effect is included (mostly, what you're looking for, is not in it).

The best way to get the sound effects you desire is by recording them by yourself.

Many of the websites that sell CD's of sound effects also have a free download section where samples can be tried out. A google search for "sound effects" will turn out lots of options.

Here's one A1SoundEffects.com that has a "television" section where you'll find the type of sound files you're after.

Ian

Have you looked at

http://www.findsounds.com/ (Not all royality free though)

To get a feel, click on "need examples" below the search box.

or

http://www.acoustica.com/mp3-audio-mixer/s...?src=newsletter (these are royality free)

Jim Robertson

...but don't be shy, Brian. Rudi is right when he says that "the best way to get the sound effects you desire is by recording them by yourself".

What a satisfaction, and what a pleasure!

No matter which recorder you use - even a little walkman, you don't need usually hi fidelity. What is really important is to keep the microphone close enough to sound source, to avoid external noises and ambience reverberations.

I downloaded various samples from all of these free sound effect libraries.

I'm sorry to tell you, that their general sound quality is VERY poor. The bit rate is low, and many effects sound chopped off at the end.

From about 250 downloaded effects, I decided to keep 4.

Maybe my quality standards are out of this world, but my "hand-and-self-made-sound-effects" came out much much better.

At least in this case, the saying you get what you pay for seems applicable.

Guru,

for that purpuse, I'm using my professional film-sound equipment, which I mainly use for film editing purposes, being either a Sony DAT DTC-2000ES or the Nagra IV (from Kudelski) as recording machines and as microphones either the directional studio microphone MKH 816 T by Sennheiser or, as well by Sennheiser, the MD 421.

This equipment is NOT for amateur use and the cost for it can only be justified by its professional standards.

PS: The NAGRA is the tape recorder, live action film-sound is being recorded with worldwide. It's a professional standard ever since the Sixties. It's probably one of the most famous and most excellent technical devices ever developped for the movie industry.

To get an impression:

http://www.nagra.com/nagraaudio/pages/prof...sionalaudio.htm

http://www.nagra.com/nagraaudio/pages/nagra4s.htm

Yes, Rudi, your equipment is really modest, and now I can realize why some free sound effects seem a little poor to you...

You don't know what means for me Nagra-Kudelski! I dreamt of a Nagra IV during many years, when I was young and intended to become a movie maker... <_<:P