WnSoft Forums

Dropping levels [SOLVED]

snapcam

I am using version 9.0.22

I am recording voice over to a sequence using the record facility.

On playback when the track gets to a voice recorded section the music on the other track drops to a lower level

The level of change is not noticeable through the headphones only on normal playback.

I have never noticed this before. Have I inadvertently set something that I am unaware of?

Snapcam

Hello Igor

Sorry for the late reply but I couldn't find the post.

That is correct. I record the voice in PTE on a separate track and when the music track gets to it the music level lowers.

It is the same as what someone would do deliberately using envelope tool to allow a voice to be heard.

I have gone back and looked at other sequences and found the same thing. Never noticed it before as the drop is not dramatic.

Raymond

• 1 month later...

https://send.firefox.com/download/e0d8eb6ee749150a/#wYMyFEn8ERKnBXpn7quxfw

Igor my apologies for not following up on this post regarding dropping sound levels. i.e. music dips when voice over appears.

I have had trouble getting the test file to you but I hope that is now solved.

Again my apologies

Thanks for the project files.

On my opinion background music keeps same sound volume during all playback, and during voice comments.

Two observations:

1. Sound volume of background music on 1st track is set to 67%. See the orange line with enabled Envelope Tool.

2. Sound volume of voice comments is too high - 200%. See the orange line in Envelope Tool. It may distort quality of sound, because sound peaks of voice comments frequently rich 80-95% of maximum sound volume. So setting 200% sound volume you cut some high parts of your voice comments.

Hello Igor,

The volume levels you mention are not what I would use. It may be I had not set them before sending the test file.

In the sequence the track 1 volume would be about 30/35 % and track two voice at 100%.

If you concentrate on the music level and try to ignore the voice when the play  reaches the track two voice clip the music reduces in level. Not to a drastic level but it lowers.

No, the music will play normally.

If you leave one comment in place say mid way along and pause after the comment then move the comment out of the way and then play from the pause play there is a distinct rise in volume 

13 hours ago, snapcam said:

No, the music will play normally.

If you leave one comment in place say mid way along and pause after the comment then move the comment out of the way and then play from the pause play there is a distinct rise in volume 

Hi,

Can you upload your project for other members to check for this problem?

You can use any service except of Send Firefox, because it allows only 1 download.

3 hours ago, snapcam said:

...  jt49 What do you mean misperception?   ....

Here is the German expression: Sinnestäuschung

What I mean: You hear music at a low level, but you may not perceive it to be that low. Now you combine it with some other audio being at a much higher level. You will now perceive the music at a lower level, drowned by the additional audio. If you then switch off the additional audio your music may sound louder again ? ? ?

Hello All 

I have just retrieved my laptop from the repair shop where it was updated to windows 10.

I have also watched the technician struggle to sort out the windows sound drivers, so little chance for me.

I mentioned Denis's enhancement tab was missing from my desktop properties and he tells me it depends on which driver or even windows update is there.

I ran my test file on the laptop and the problem does not seem to be there so I have come to the conclusion that something in my windows is causing the volume drop. So my thanks to those trying to help and I'm sorry for what appears to have been a waste of your time.

Thank you all