WnSoft Forums

Slideshow - EDINBURGH to GLASGOW ROAD-TRIP

goddi

Greetings,

Here is a link to my Edinburgh to Glasgow Road-Trip show. Since it is a large (and long) video, I had to put it on my Facebook page. Not sure what else to do with it. And not sure if a non-FB person can get to the link. Anyway, here is my recent project.

Gary

I had to re-post the PTE show again. Found one more typo!!!!:blink: (Hard to pronounce 'Edinburgh' correctly and even harder to spell it correctly, apparently).:lol:

Well Gary, I did enjoy watching that, all of which is very familiar to me.  Wow!  What a road trip - you won't get much better than that. I was envious of your weather at Duncansby Head as we were there earlier this year on our way to Orkney and were almost blown off as  the wind was so strong and the light  too dismal for any decent photos.  You certainly seemed to sample plenty of good old British fare judging by your plates wherever you ate. 

Maureen

Greetings Maureen,

Thanks for watching it. I highly recommend Scotland!! What a magnificent  place. We truly were fortunate to have an unusual high pressure front keeping the more normal cloudy/rainy weather at bay when we were in the Highlands. Yep...the landscape and the people and the 'plates' were great!!!!:D

Gary

Great job Gary,

It was an enjoyable journey and your show was put together with care and I'm certain took a LOT of work!  It looks like you and your wife had a great trip !!! I've never had the pleasure of touring that area - something to look forward to on my bucket list !!!

Best regards,

Lin

Just now, Lin Evans said:

Great job Gary,

It was an enjoyable journey and your show was put together with care and I'm certain took a LOT of work!  It looks like you and your wife had a great trip !!! I've never had the pleasure of touring that area - something to look forward to on my bucket list !!!

Best regards,

Lin

Lin, thanks. I did it all in the V10 Betas, starting from Beta1. Made me learn the new V10 very well! And one of the new Styles, 'Cut Out Text'. Thanks, Manuel!

Gary

Gary,

Mesmorising.

We have been to Scotland a few times over the years so this was a magical journey bringing back loads of memories. I cannot imagine though the number of photos that must have been taken and the hours of video you needed to view and then edit.

Video questions though please. Was that a dash cam fitted to your car? Impressive quality whatever. Also how was it you managed to get to Glenfinnan Viaduct at the right time and in the right position to get a video of the steam train. Superb.

My personal issue when I shoot any video is camera shake, maybe from the wind or even as I walk behind, say following something/somebody. How did you keep it so still?

You should send it to the Scottish Tourist Board. A truly memorable memory of Scotland. Thankyou.

George

Nicely done, Gary!  And it appears that your efforts with this show in Beta 10 have been instrumental in helping Igor and his team in solving quite a few issues with this new version.  We are adventuresome too, but some of those roads would have put my heart in my mouth.  Loved the hairy cows and I especially liked the steam train segment. Your map was wonderfully done.  Mind sharing exactly how you did it?  Looks like another trip of a lifetime for you two (and it seems like you've got quite a few under your belt now).  I am envious!  Thanks so much for sharing!

8 hours ago, Xenofex2 said:

Gary,

Mesmorising.

We have been to Scotland a few times over the years so this was a magical journey bringing back loads of memories. I cannot imagine though the number of photos that must have been taken and the hours of video you needed to view and then edit.

Video questions though please. Was that a dash cam fitted to your car? Impressive quality whatever. Also how was it you managed to get to Glenfinnan Viaduct at the right time and in the right position to get a video of the steam train. Superb.

My personal issue when I shoot any video is camera shake, maybe from the wind or even as I walk behind, say following something/somebody. How did you keep it so still?

You should send it to the Scottish Tourist Board. A truly memorable memory of Scotland. Thankyou.

George

Greetings George,

Thanks for the comments. No, it was not a 'dash cam'. What I had for video taping in the car was my GoPro Hero7. I did have it on a suction cup attached to the front windshield. It worked fairly well for the most part. Sometimes, I handheld it while driving...wife did not approve. It has some issues but it was worth using. The best part is the built-in stabilization-worked great. The bad part was sometimes the GoPro would freeze up and I'd have to dismount the suction cup and take the camera out of the case and turn it on/off and then reassemble the stuff to the car again. GoPro has a bunch of other issues such as giving the wrong date for the files. Really stupid but otherwise, pretty decent video.

For the steam train, it comes by the viaduct at a specific time...about 10:45 am I think. So we drove from Fort William out to the viaduct. Go early...very little parking area and to find a good spot for taking photos. It was a bit rainy and muddy but we just climbed up the hill a bit and hoped it would be a good spot. I had to ask several people in front of us to please move so I'd get a good shot. The crazy part was I used my Nikon D7100 DSLR to video the train. Handheld. I forget my monopod in the car. I don't know why I didn't use my GoPro, which would have solved a lot of problems, such as quality and stabilization issues. But I think I wanted to use the telephoto lens to be sure to get a tighter shot of the train. I did run the Nikon video clip through PowerDirector software to fix some stabilization. It did reduce the quality but did help on the stabilization.

(I'm going to try to replace my Facebook posting to correct the typos you found for me. Sometimes, no matter how many times I proof the text...I can still miss stuff!:wacko:)

If you go to my FB site, there are a few other PTE shows of our trip to Scotland.

Thanks.... Gary

2 hours ago, mhwarner said:

Nicely done, Gary!  And it appears that your efforts with this show in Beta 10 have been instrumental in helping Igor and his team in solving quite a few issues with this new version.  We are adventuresome too, but some of those roads would have put my heart in my mouth.  Loved the hairy cows and I especially liked the steam train segment. Your map was wonderfully done.  Mind sharing exactly how you did it?  Looks like another trip of a lifetime for you two (and it seems like you've got quite a few under your belt now).  I am envious!  Thanks so much for sharing!

Greetings,

Thanks for your comments. For the maps, I used a program called Route Generator 1.8.1 (should be free):

https://sourceforge.net/projects/routegen/

First, I find a map on Google Maps and do a screengrab. I then crop it in Photoshop for the correct aspect ratio (think I cropped it at 3072pxx1728px). Same as 16x9. And then used that image in Route Generator. The hard part is just clicking the little dots to establish your route. Select the car/bike/plane, etc., for the route and the speed you want them to move. They you can bring in its AVI file into PTE and add text, if needed.

When I see other PTE shows, I always wonder where the heck they are. Hopefully, my maps have helped.

Gary

Gary,

Thanks for the Route Generator link.  I too like to add maps to my videos and have created some with PowerDirector or in PTE with Photoshop layers and masks -- a bit of a pain.  I always put a map on the back of the photobooks I create.  FYI, there is another app that you might find interesting: Geo Photo for creating maps if your camera has GPS or you take snaps with a phone to store locations.

Mary

Mary, Yes, that would be useful. But my main camera does not have GPS. And my GoPro is a pain to get it to work. And I don't have a cell phone. Many times I forget where the heck I took the picture so it would be nice if I could do it. :(

Gary

Thanks, Gary for sharing.  Very pleasant to watch those familiar Scottish scenes, with the narrow roads (single lane) and "passing places".  It seems you enjoyed the Yorkshire Pudding with your meals.  BTW, I was inside the "Harry Potter" steam train on the Glenfinnan viaduct, but that was a year ago.  Anyone passing by Scourie should consider spending a day on the Handa Island, a nature reserve for birds (puffins, razor bills, great (and lesser) skuas, guillemots,...).  Between Balmoral and Grantown-on-Spey, the Highland games at Tomintoul are also worth a day.  So much to see that it's a good reason to go back again...  Thanks for this invitation to revisit those fantastic landscapes in your company.

Well done Gary.  Really enjoyed this presentation.  Brought back many fond memories of my favourite place

to visit - Scotland and the roads!  The video clips worked very well.  Enjoyed some of your other Facebook

videos also!  Thanks for sharing.  The hard working putting it together was worth while and appreciated.

Roger.

Thanks, jmG and Roger. The hard part was having to leave out so many other videos and images of the trip. My favorite is just looking at the videos of the driving through Scotland. That was so much fun, despite the reduced width of most roads. But that would be a several hour video! I still wonder how I didn't lose my right-side mirror.

Gary